San Juan departure question

Joby

If we scheduled a later flight home from San Juan, say 4:30'ish pm, and our ship is scheduled to dock in San Juan at 7 am, is there any place to store our luggage while we sightsee around San Juan for the day until it's time to go to the airport?

Does anyone ever do this?

There are a few places that store luggage and are safe. I can't remember the name of the place but it's at a well known restaurant. I'm sure someone will reply with the name. We also have gotten hotel rooms at lower "day rates". We go right to the hotel from the ship and check into the room and spend the day at the pool. then we shower, dress, and get to the airport. You can also schedule one of the shore excursions where they take your luggage on the bus and after the excursion you are dropped at the airport.

When you get off the ship, there will be many tour operators offering you their services. We hooked up with a very nice gentleman who had one of those 22 passenger mini busses. There were only 4 of us, and we allowed him to try and get more for the tour, but in the end, we had the bus all to our selves. Our luggage was stored in the rear of the bus in a locked compartment, and during the tour, whenever we left the bus, he stayed with it and watched our luggage.

He took us to a McDonald's type restaurant so we could get some food before he dropped us at the airport. The tour lasted until about 1pm which was plenty early for our 4:30pm flight.

I wish I could remember his name or company, but it escapes me.

There are a few places that store luggage and are safe. I can't remember the name of the place but it's at a well known restaurant. I'm sure someone will reply with the name. We also have gotten hotel rooms at lower "day rates". We go right to the hotel from the ship and check into the room and spend the day at the pool. then we shower, dress, and get to the airport. You can also schedule one of the shore excursions where they take your luggage on the bus and after the excursion you are dropped at the airport.

I thnk the restaurant you are loohing for is Barrachina. However there is a luggage safe ( storage) about 2 blocks from the Sheraton Old San Juan - $4.00 for all day

Yes, that's the restaurant. They are perfectly trustworthy as far as I know. You can leave your luggage there, go off for the day, then come back and get your luggage and head for the airport. I prefer to get a hotel room though as that way i can shower and get to the airport fresh for my flight.

Thank you for asking the question. We have a 6:30 flight because we are staying pre-cruise out of the city and wanted a chance to see old San Juan.

Do most of the cab drivers know where the restaurant is? Is that 4$ per piece of luggage?

How much was the tour operator?

How much is a day room?

Thanks!!!

Everyone knows of that restaurant. It's a very well known place. Day room rates vary. Also, their availability varies because it depends on how full the hotel is. Usually you have to call the day before or the day of debarkation. Last trip the concierge on the ship (Connie) called and found a few places and made a reservation for us. We were also lucky enough to find another couple who were looking for a day room and we split the cost. I believe we paid $68 total for a room for the day. That gives you the room and full use of the hotel's facilities including their pool. Not all the hotels do this.

Thanks everyone for the help. I didn't think of a day pass.

We haven't booked out flight yet, in fact still haven't decide which cruise we are taking--10 night or 11 night!!!!

We do have the choice at this point in time of several different departure times. I'm trying to get our options before we decide on a return flight home.

Appreciate the info!

Ask on the ship. It is a jewelry store- not a restaurant the holds your luggage for you but it is Barrachina or something like that. I have used it twice to store my luggage and there was no charge that I recall at all but perhaps I am mistaken. We took a taxi there. Bought a few things in the adjacent shop that they own and went on our merry way.

I recommend going to the Governor's Palace for a free tour (twice daily)

and to the Fort. One is free and the other is cheap and you will have a nice time. The shops are pretty good too.

What airline are you flying? If you are flying American (there may be other airlines as well), they offer a service where they check you in for your flights onboard the ship before the cruise ends and provide you with your luggage tags for your bags. When you get off the ship, you drop your bags off with the airline and then you are free to go do whatever you want, just remembering to leave enough time to get through security at the airport.

We don't have our flight reservations yet. We're just fishing around to see if we can store our luggage near the ship dock (in Old San Juan, I'm assuming).

We are considering booking a later flight in the day and wandering around old San Juan for a while until it's time to leave for the aiport.

By the way, how far is the airport from old San Juan/

How much time does it take to get to the aiport and how much for the various ways to get there?

We don't have our flight reservations yet. We're just fishing around to see if we can store our luggage near the ship dock (in Old San Juan, I'm assuming).

We are considering booking a later flight in the day and wandering around old San Juan for a while until it's time to leave for the aiport.

By the way, how far is the airport from old San Juan/

How much time does it take to get to the aiport and how much for the various ways to get there?

The ship will most likely be docked at the Pan American Pier which is across the harbor from Old San Juan. You will need a taxi to get to OSJ from the pier.

It took us about 30 minutes in rush hour traffic to get from the airport to our hotel in OSJ. The best means of transport to and from Old San Juan would be by taxi.

Does anyone know for sure which pier that the Galaxy leaves from on 1/22/07?

We have previously docked at old San Juan on our other 2 Celebrity cruises that stopped in San Juan. Easy walk into the old city.

How is it decided which pier which ship leaves from?

How is it decided which pier which ship leaves from?

If it is an embarkation, you leave from the Pan American Pier. If it is a port stop, it docks at the Old San Juan side.

If it is an embarkation, you leave from the Pan American Pier. If it is a port stop, it docks at the Old San Juan side.

Ed- I am sure you know the answer to these questions.:eek:

Our flight gets in to SJU at 2 pm.

With Celebrity's transfers, what time do you believe we will arrive at the ship?

Once we check-in and drop off our carry-ons will we be able to leave the ship to take a taxi over to El Morro?

How far a ride from the ship to El Morro? Figure about an hour to walk around the fortress?

Hi Arubalisa, we want to do the same thing (minus El Morro, it's too hard for Mom to get around). I LOVED El Morro when I went alone last cruise! Mom and my sister stayed back and nibbed around OSJ.

OSJ is not easy to push a wheelchair what with the cobblestone and hills, but push it we did!

We are thinking about going in early to SJ and then looking around before our departure and then when we return after the cruise getting a later flight so that we can look around some more before we travel home.

I'm digging around to find out what taxi's might be from ship/OSJ/ship and then ship/OSJ/airport.

This is FUN!

OSJ is not easy to push a wheelchair what with the cobblestone and hills, but push it we did!

I truly admire your efforts. Yesterday I was looking at a couple of itineraries for my parents and I, wondering if I could push my father's wheelchair around Old San Juan. I can't believe that you managed a similar feat. I had concluded that it wasn't doable.

Broberts, yes, it was difficult, but if you knew what Mom has been through medically the past 2 years--hills and cobblestones won't stop us!

We took her through OSJ nearer the water. We also took a horse and carriage ridr through the city. A bit expensive, but it was fun and Mom got to see areas that we couldn't take her to.

We always say--we are women, nothing can stop us :)

Ed- I am sure you know the answer to these questions.:eek:

Our flight gets in to SJU at 2 pm.

With Celebrity's transfers, what time do you believe we will arrive at the ship?

Once we check-in and drop off our carry-ons will we be able to leave the ship to take a taxi over to El Morro?

How far a ride from the ship to El Morro? Figure about an hour to walk around the fortress?

Celebrity usually makes the busses fill up before departure. So, if you have a lot of cruisers on your flight, (I know you do because you have quite a few family members :) ), they will fill and leave quickly. If not, it can take a while before they leave.

Yes, you can leave the ship after check in. Ask before you leave how to by-pass the line on the way back on the ship.

El Morro is only about 15 minutes away. You should be able to cover the area in an hour or so.

My DW always like to go to the Court and Downey and Burke outlet stores.:rolleyes: :eek:

Archived