Hepatitis A and B

Has anyone every actually contracted either of these on a cruise? I checked with my doctor and told him we would be cruising the western Caribbean in December(Labadee,Ocho Rios,Grand Cayman, and Cozumel) and asked if we needed them. My children have all had the Hep B shot, as they get them in school here, but none of us have had the Hep A and my husband and I have not had B either. Now my doc said the chances are not high and since it would cost us over $700 for the 5 of us (self employed, no medical insurance outside the provincial coverage) he didn't think it was necessary, but definitely our choice! I've searched the boards and some people get it, some don't, so I was just wondering if anyone who didn't get the shots, did contract either virus? Not sure what to do! Thanks for your help!

Steph

Hepatitis B is a blood borne virus that you would only get if you had unprotected sex with an infected person or if you received a blood transfusion that was tainted or if you shared a hyperdermic needle with an infected person. While there is a vaccine to prevent this virus, it's still not likely that you would contract this disease on a cruise. Most doctors would advise sexually active adults to get the vaccine, but not specifically for a cruise. Health care workers usually get the vaccine because they come in contact with needles so often.

Hep A is transmitted in the same way as norovirus. Again, your odds of getting it aren't great, but there's certainly nothing to be lost by getting the vaccine if you are worried.

Here is a link from the CDC about Hepatitis http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/a/index.htm . Perhaps it can help you decide for yourself.

Some of the facts from the fact sheet state that, during epidimic years 35,000 cases were reported. The US just past the 300,000,000 mark in populations so that's what, 1.5% and that's during an epidimic year.

It also goes on to state that 1/3 of American's imune systems show evidence of a past Hep. A infection (I did not look into Hep. B). So, 1/3 of America has been exposed and possibly has some degree of imunity deveolped already from past exposure (at least that's what I take that to indicate).

Working in the hospital, we are offered Hep. B vaccines at no cost if we want them. They come with a warning about potential side effects that aren't to pleasant (can't recall them as it's been 13 years). At any rate, since they were at no cost, we both took them. Now, all these years later, we've been told that they're not certain that the vacine provides life long immunity from Hep. B.

Would I do it again? Probably, but only because of my possible exposure to Hep. B in the setting in which I work. Otherwise I doubt that I would go through the expense or exporsure to side effects from the vaccine. While I am unaware of anyone contracting Hep. A or B on a cruise ship, it's not something that show itself right away. Chances are the person contracting Hep. A through poor food handling may never know exactly where they got it unless there is a large enough outbreak to get the CDC involved and they trace the sorce down.

Exposure to Hep a/b can be avoided in most cases when traveling.

I would be much more concerned about the insect population as trips to certain locales will lead to a refusal of blood donation for a one year period.

Good luck.

As someone in the health care field, let me tell you all of you should have the Hep A and B vaccines anyways, but now since you are traveling, you should definitely get them. Hep B is a blood borne virus, which can be transmitted by contact with someone's bodily fluid, much like HIV. Hep A is usually found on fruits, vegetables, bean spouts, etc. Both can cause very serious complication, such as cirrhosis and liver failure. Both viruses can be easily prevented by vaccines.

The odds are you are going to be fine. By why risk it?

Just an FYI, there is no vaccine against Hep C, which still can be contracted by contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids

Working in the hospital, we are offered Hep. B vaccines at no cost if we want them. They come with a warning about potential side effects that aren't to pleasant (can't recall them as it's been 13 years). At any rate, since they were at no cost, we both took them. Now, all these years later, we've been told that they're not certain that the vacine provides life long immunity from Hep. B.

Would I do it again? Probably, but only because of my possible exposure to Hep. B in the setting in which I work. Otherwise I doubt that I would go through the expense or exporsure to side effects from the vaccine.

I had to get the Hep B vaccine in nursing school before they would let me start my clinical rotations. At that time, we had to pay for it ourselves. We had to provide proof of not only having had the vaccine, but bloodwork showing immunity. I don't remember any side effects, but I'm sure there is a whole list of possible ones, as with any vaccine.

I think it's a good idea to get the Hep B vaccine if one is sexually active. You just never know. Most infants get them now as part of routine vaccines.

Hep A can also be transmitted by people preparing your food. There have been outbreaks here at restaurants because of the food handlers. My doctor advised that all of us have Hep A shots, so we have. I do not want my children to be exposed to that!

My husband and I work in healthcare. We all already had the Hep B vaccines. Before we took our first cruise this summer we all received the Hep A vaccine. You can easily contract Hep A through food sources. If you remember the US had an outbreak in the past few years that was traced to lettuce served at a chain restaurant. Some people died from it!! We felt the cost was worth the peace of mind. Even though we did not plan to eat at some of the places we visited, we did not want to risk it. We have two children and would not want to risk their health over the cost of a vaccine. The choice is yours but when we researched it I believe that it was a recommended (not required) vaccine for visits to Mexico. We did not visit the other places so I can not comment on them. Good luck.

Hep A can also be transmitted by people preparing your food. There have been outbreaks here at restaurants because of the food handlers. My doctor advised that all of us have Hep A shots, so we have. I do not want my children to be exposed to that!

That is exactly right. Actually, If I remember correctly, the biggest Hep A outbreak was in a California Elementary School from strawberries. They never figured out if it was the handling of them or the fruit themselves, but the common theme is the virus ends up on the fruit before you eat them. For me and my patients, I always tell them that why risk it. There is an easy way to prevent this infection.

As for lifelong immunity, that is another question that has not been fully answered yet. Some studies are beginning to show that a booster shot might be needed. If it has been greater than 10 years since your last shot, a titer (blood test) can be used to see if you still have antibodies. If you don't, you can get the vaccine again.

You're right about that, especially since it is preventable.

My husband got Hep A in college. He never did find out how. His liver enzymes were elevated for years, but lately they've been fine.

As someone in the health care field, let me tell you all of you should have the Hep A and B vaccines anyways, but now since you are traveling, you should definitely get them. Hep B is a blood borne virus, which can be transmitted by contact with someone's bodily fluid, much like HIV. Hep A is usually found on fruits, vegetables, bean spouts, etc. Both can cause very serious complication, such as cirrhosis and liver failure. Both viruses can be easily prevented by vaccines.

The odds are you are going to be fine. By why risk it?

Just an FYI, there is no vaccine against Hep C, which still can be contracted by contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids

Why risk it? Side effects from the vaccines aren't so nice. While I had no issue with the vaccine my wife didn't tolerate it all that well. I'm not sure about now but there was a long explanation and release form we had to sign before receiving our Hep B vaccines.

Archived