Cabo- Sail & Snorkle???

mmsoko

Board your sailing vessel, either an ex-racing sloop or sailing catamaran, and cruise past Los Arcos to Pelican Rock. After a brief safety orientation, sail or motor past Lover’s Beach and the sea lion colony, entering the waters of the Gulf of California. Drop anchor in palm-lined Santa Maria Cove, where you have approximately one hour to snorkel or swim through waters teeming with colorful tropical fish, including Moorish Idols and King and Cortez anglefish.

Does that help anyone?

Board your sailing vessel, either an ex-racing sloop or sailing catamaran, and cruise past Los Arcos to Pelican Rock. After a brief safety orientation, sail or motor past Lover’s Beach and the sea lion colony, entering the waters of the Gulf of California. Drop anchor in palm-lined Santa Maria Cove, where you have approximately one hour to snorkel or swim through waters teeming with colorful tropical fish, including Moorish Idols and King and Cortez anglefish.

Does that help anyone?

Years ago I did this tour I was on Carnival but, it's the same shore tour. It's called the "booze cruise" by veterans. I wouldn't call the cove "palm-lined" or the waters "teeming with colorful fish". It's NOT Hawaii. The waters are quite cold as you jump off into deep water and swim to the sandy shoreline where it is warmer(?!) I saw pufferfish,stingrays,eels etc. It's a whole nother world under the sea! It's fun, just be prepared for the chilly water...oh,and take the life jacket they offer..makes it easier to swim when you're shivering!;)

• 2 weeks later...

We did that one in July 2004 (but we were on RCC). Due to a storm off the coast, the water was pretty churned up and we stoped and snorkeled closer to Lover's Beach instead of Santa Maria Cove for visibility reasons, but we still did the sail out past the arch, etc. I had a great time - it was my first time snorkeling and I thought it was really cool. We saw a lot of fish. The water was freezing when you first got in, but you get used to it and we stayed in for probably 30-45 minutes. The chips & guacamole were YUMMY afterwards :).

Have fun!

Alyson

I also want to do this tour in cabo santa maria sail/snorkle.I'm concerned about every body saying the water is cold.How cold??Is this the case because it's the pacific(i think)?We are leaving nov 26 thanks

We just did this tour a few days ago for the first time. I have to say, we really had a good time. We were on the Spin Doctor, which is one of the three boats in the La Princesa fleet. The weather was 90 degrees and sunny, as we set sail for Santa Maria Cove (the sails were up, but we also used the engines). They played nice fun-in-the-sun music like Jimmy Buffet, Reggae, and other tropical type music, while they came around and served us drinks from the get-go (no waiting until after snorkeling).

We stopped by the arch on the way out to take photos. They take your photo in front of the arch, and you can buy it at the end (and of course you can take your own photos too).

Santa Maria Cove was a beautiful turquoise blue color, and the beach was beautiful and was actually pretty palm-lined. The beach is lined by three nice beach homes (no facilities or restaurants) and there were only a few people on the beach. The water was absolutely wonderful - my dive computer says it was 81 degrees - it was also clear and just great to be in - anything but cold. I snorkeled for almost an hour, and was never even close to cold. Now, by January, it does start to cool down, and is cooler until late summer when it warms back up again. It can get down to the low 70s during the late winter and early spring - cool but refreshing.

After snorkeling, we ate a light lunch (tuna sandwich, chips salsa and guacemole), and headed back to town. As we approached Cabo, they turned off the engines, and we sailed (no motors) for about an hour. With the music playing, drinks in hand, and the serenity of sailing with the warm wind blowing in our hair, it was really the tropical experience. We really enjoyed it, and the crew was very courteous and friendly.

Here are some photos from our trip:

santamaria3.jpg

From the deck of the boat in front of El Arco - Bad picture, but...

santamaria7.jpg

Santa Maria Beach - Beautiful, and almost empty.

santamaria2.jpg

Snorkeling - Water was a wonderfully warm 81°F, Visibility about 80 feet.

santamaria1.jpg

More snorkeling

santamaria8.jpg

Lounging on the deck at El Arco

Hope this helps! You'll have a great day in the sunshine in Cabo!

We had a couple of kids about that age on the boat with us, and they seemed to enjoy themselves - loved snorkeling, and laid out on the front nets on the way back.

The only thing is that while you're on the boat, you're sailing, drinking, listening to music, and enjoying the scenery - there isn't a tremendous amount of external stimuli for kids on the cruise. A better cruise for kids, I would think, might be the Buccaneer Queen, which has ongoing pirate shows, and audience participation games that may keep them occupied during the boat ride, before snorkeling at Chileno Bay.

Also the Jungle Cruise, where you get to snorkel twice - once at Santa Maria and once at Pelican Rock, plus there are things like Mambo lessons going on. The catamaran cruises are more relaxing, which we love, but kids always need things to do.

You do pass by Sea Lion Rock, and see the sea lions, but it is a very small part of the trip, you're just passing by.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your information on snorkeling in Cabo. I notices the La Princesa tours come back at 3:30p. We sail at 4p, is this cutting it close? What time did your tour return?

Thanks!

Pam

I wish I could remember exactly, but I don't. It was right around there, though. Ships normally want you to be back on board an hour before departure, so I would say you will want to do an earlier excursion, one that leaves at about 10:30 and returns by about 2:30 or 3:00 at the latest. Better safe than sorry.

The Jungle Cruise, Bucaneer Queen and Cabo Rey all return earlier than the La Princesa fleet and might be better choices for you.

Here is a link to the Sail & Snorkel excursion that Princess uses:

www.ttmex.com/seatours/snorkelsail/page15.html

If you look at the description on Princess' shore excursion page:

http://www.princess.com/shorex/shorexdetail.jsp?shorexId=SJD-S

it sounds like they're actually describing the tour on this page, rather than the one they say they're describing - "racing sloop or sailing catamaran", etc.

http://www.ttmex.com/seatours/snorkelsailmaria/snorkelsailmaria.html

This is the same tour described with photos earlier in the thread that we were on - the La Princesa Catamaran. You can book it yourself for about $20 pp less than ship price.

Archived