Hot Water/Chai Tea Question

I wake up early (and I mean really early) in the morning and would love to be able to boil some hot water in my room to have chai tea when I get up. I like coffee too, but this way I can avoid the whole filters, grounds, creamer situation and just deal with some tea bags! :) I'm looking for some type of small plug-in type of pot to be able to take with me to the ship. Any suggestions? :confused:

I wake up early (and I mean really early) in the morning and would love to be able to boil some hot water in my room to have chai tea when I get up. I like coffee too, but this way I can avoid the whole filters, grounds, creamer situation and just deal with some tea bags! :) I'll be on the Jewel in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for something small to be able to stick in my luggage. Any suggestions? :confused:

There are tiny electric coffee makers which would do the trick, but rather than carrying that along, why not take the chai with you, and have room service deliver you hot water every morning? If you let them know you want it every day, they'll make sure you have it.

Fran in Toronto

Hi Fran and thanks for responding! I thought about doing that but I usually wake up around 4:00A :eek: (yes, I know!). I wasn't sure if room service would even deliver around that time and even if they did they might wake up my sisters (we're cruising together). Figured if I had my own 'water boiler', I could just plug it in, make my tea, sit on the balcony and watch the sun come up. :)

Some will argue with me, but those pots are disallowed, just as clothing irons are. They are a fire hazzard and should not be brought aboard a ship.

Room service is 24 hours a day, you can request your hot water to be delivered any time. I'm also an early riser (4 - 5 am) and locate the coffee or water, sometimes it is in the buffet all night, or at a snack bar. If you really don't want to do any of the above, take along a small thermos (a good one, not a cheapie) that will keep water hot for hours and you could have the hot water available any time you wake.

Please be safe when you travel, you're not only putting yourself at risk, but many other lives as well. I don't mean to imply that you would not handle the appliance carefully, accidents are never intended. Be safe rather than sorry.

I should have added that I do this on every cruise (order coffee for very early) and that sometimes they will call prior to delivery, like about 30 seconds before. So, make sure you sleep next to the phone, or request no phone call. I always keep a couple $1 bills on the shelf next to the door for a tip.

I also recommend the electric coil, but if you don't mind throwing on a pair of shorts or whatever; you can simply go to the promenade cafe and get a cup of hot water and make your tea. They have a variety of teas available at the promenade cafe and the hot water is always plentiful. OR if there is no promenade cafe, you can go up to the WJ and get a cup of hot water and variety of tea is available there also.

You did not say what ship you would be on.

On past cruises (Brilliance & Soveriegn), I thought there was a coffee station that had hot water available, which was always open. This was a few years ago so this might change.

I plan on bringing my chi tea with me next year as well as my mug.

Archived