Disabled Parking in Miami, still free?

Sandgnat

Is Miami still free parking with a valid disabled parking pass? My father is going with us and has one. I know 5 1/2 years ago it was free and I have searched but the latest info is over 1 year old on this issue. Just asking in case I need to budget 105$ more. Thanks, Sandy

Thank you for your response. I am just making sure it is still this way so I can be budgeted for it. I know at the Miami airport not to give your credit card for parking or they won't honor free parking for disabled parking guest, we found this out the hard way.

Some of the ports and airports now are free ONLY with a toll-exemption sticker. The sticker is available from the state of Fl for Fl residents only. It also has to be a converted vehicle (lift or something similar). Handicapped placards sometimes aren't enough for free parking.

To be safe and if it is an issue call the port. (I am sure you can do a seach for phone number.)

Sherry

Some of the ports and airports now are free ONLY with a toll-exemption sticker. The sticker is available from the state of Fl for Fl residents only. It also has to be a converted vehicle (lift or something similar). Handicapped placards sometimes aren't enough for free parking.

To be safe and if it is an issue call the port. (I am sure you can do a seach for phone number.)

Sherry

When I try to show the Port of Miami toll collector my Florida Disabled Toll Permit on the windshield, she had no idea what it was. She was only satisfied when I directed her to the disabled license plate. Maybe they need better training.

Wow, what great information!

We have been paying for parking at Port Everglades for years. We have a van with a ramp.

I just had my DH call the port authority, and they said that we do not have to pay to park! He was told to ask for a supervisor when we are leaving the garage and at the toll booth.

They said the vehicle has to be converted, as was mentioned above, for HC use. That includes hand controls for brakes, btw.

Next time we cruise, we'll be prepared!

Oceanwench,

Get a toll exemption sticker from Tallahasee. Just about every toll booth is exempt. Tampa cruiseport made us pay, don't know why, every other port was free. The sticker is free. We also have a Disabled Veteran license plate, don't use a placard.

If you have probs using the sticker, ask for a supervisor.

Sherry

p.s. sticker also accepted at airports, even short term parking.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reply to my own question, the parking was still free in Miami. We just showed the handicap parking pass and were waved inside. Saved $105.00. Thank you to all that answered my question prior to our cruise. Sandy

• 7 months later...

We travel a lot and also run into uninformed parking attendants. Before giving your money or credit card when you hand over the parking ticket advise them you are exempt from paying due to section 7 or section 8 of the 2007 Florida Statutes 316.1964. If there is any problem I ask for a supervisor and also hand them a copy of the statute. I always print out a copy just before we head off on a trip just in case.

This link has great information about disabled parking

www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/faqdpp.html

This link has the 2007 Florida Statutes 326.1964

www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm

Another source for airport parking is

www.dot.state.fl.us

Hope this is helpful.

It appears from the links provided that free disabled parking is available only to those whose vehicles have been modified for disabled to drive directly. Thus my permanently handicapped hang tag will not get me free parking at the port. And I've never heard of free tolls, for which I pay 100's of dollars a year. Even so, I am curious as to why anyone at all is given free parking or free tolls. Does anyone know?

It appears from the links provided that free disabled parking is available only to those whose vehicles have been modified for disabled to drive directly. Thus my permanently handicapped hang tag will not get me free parking at the port.

It may be that the statutes only REQUIRE free parking at certain places for modified vehicles. However, that does not prevent places from VOLUNTARILY offering free parking to others. The Port of Miami does offer free disabled parking (with the usual disabled hanging tag), even without a modified vehicle. Port Everglades is different.

Using www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm I found this:

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1), when a state, county, or municipal parking facility or lot is being used in connection with an event at a convention center, cruise-port terminal, sports stadium, sports arena, coliseum, or auditorium, the parking facility may charge a person whose vehicle displays such a parking permit a parking fee in the same manner and amount as it charges other persons.

It's nice that MIA doesn't charge, because they certainly can.

• 1 month later...

Hi. We just returned from a cruise out of Port of Miami. We were on a Carnival cruise and parked in garage #2. This garage makes you pay for parking prior to entering. Our vehicle has a handicap hang placard and is a ramp van - our parking was free. My parents who were traveling with us in their own vehicle had their handicap hang tag with them (they have no modifications to their vehicle) and their parking was free as well. Hope this helps.

Hi. We just returned from a cruise out of Port of Miami. We were on a Carnival cruise and parked in garage #2. This garage makes you pay for parking prior to entering. Our vehicle has a handicap hang placard and is a ramp van - our parking was free. My parents who were traveling with us in their own vehicle had their handicap hang tag with them (they have no modifications to their vehicle) and their parking was free as well. Hope this helps.

Great to know, thanks. We will be driving from Atlanta, and picking up our parents in Jupiter. We will make sure to take our car (which has HC plates) to the port in Miami. I hope they offer the same courtesy to HC vehicles from out of state.

Enjoy the free disabled parking at Miami while you can! Even though we had our handicap tag displayed and asked about discounts for the disabled, last week my DH & I had to pay the parking garage at the Port of Tampa the regular $84 to park for our week long cruise. And the disabled slots weren't even closest to the elevators!

Actually, it only makes sense for everyone to pay the same for parking, regardless of disability. After all, we're all using the same service, aren't we? Maybe if we all paid the same the price would go down. Then again, I'm quite a dreamer!:rolleyes:

Enjoy the free disabled parking at Miami while you can! Even though we had our handicap tag displayed and asked about discounts for the disabled, last week my DH & I had to pay the parking garage at the Port of Tampa the regular $84 to park for our week long cruise. And the disabled slots weren't even closest to the elevators!

Actually, it only makes sense for everyone to pay the same for parking, regardless of disability. After all, we're all using the same service, aren't we? Maybe if we all paid the same the price would go down. Then again, I'm quite a dreamer!:rolleyes:

I think the free parking should only be for modified vehicles. They give out handicap placards like its candy anymore.

I enjoyed my free parking in Miami also.:D Good to know that canaveral only allows it for modified vehicles

I received the following reply regarding Handicap Parking.

Gregory Elden, Outreach Administrative Intern

Miami-Dade Seaport

1015 N. American Way

305-347-5515 Phone

At this time, handicapped parking is free. The only requirement is to fill out a short form that is provided at the Toll Booth as you leave. For your convenience, you can send me your name and mailing address. In return, I will send you a form you can have pre-filled and ready for your exit.

I received the following reply regarding Handicap Parkingt this time, handicapped parking is free. The only requirement is to fill out a short form that is provided at the Toll Booth as you leave. For your convenience, you can send me your name and mailing address. In return, I will send you a form you can have pre-filled and ready for your exit.

Hmmmmm. That's interesting; he's talking about doing it when you leave; we've always filled out the form when we arrive at the garage. That's when they collect the parking fees, if you're paying. Not important where they do it, but it does slow you up a bit when you're anxious to board the ship and have to stop to fill out the papers. Only takes a minute or two, though.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a great conversation with Greg Elden, Outreach Admin

Miami Seaport

What a nice guy

unbelievable the wealth of info he had available

about parking and shuttle services

hc parking is free, there is a form that needs to be filled out

you can email him at GElden@miamidade.gov

once again great guy

Queenie, if you don't know him, you need to interview him

• 2 weeks later...

Archived