Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

Just heard that the repairs on the propeller are not acceptable, so we'll just be running on the one engine for the trip. Itinerary will change.

Was:

Monday afternoon: Cabo

Tuesday: Mazatlan

Wednesday: Puerto Vallarta

I think it is now:

Thurs Morning: Cabo

Carol

Bummer. HOWEVER, this itenerary makes more sense, and might give them max port times as advertised. Two sea days to begin with, then PV, Cabo. Of course, it all remains to be seen.

I just heard from my hubby who is on the National Review Cruise.

Here is what he had to say about the "repairs". He did not list the times in the ports. He didn't say anything about why they left San Diego late.

Just heard that the repairs on the propeller are not acceptable, so we'll just be running on the one engine for the trip. Itinerary will change.

Was:

Monday afternoon: Cabo

I think it is now:

Thurs Morning: Cabo

Carol

What is the National Review Cruise? Did he say why the ship was delayed leaving SD?

I was hoping that all was fixed, but from your email sounds like it was not. Did he give you the times in Port? We are especially interest in the port times in PV.

Thanks.

What a roller coaster ride of emotions! :eek: We are on the April 14th. cruise and have been following the never ending saga of the O's broken Azipod. Just when it looked like everyone could breath a little easier over the concern of their cruise being cancelled we get the news that it's still not fixed. HAL must have felt that the problem was repaired when they sailed last night. Hopefully it's just a matter of doing some fine tuning the next time they are in San Diego. Yes...........live goes on but it's just that much nicer on a HAL cruise. :)

We are booked on the 12/16 cruise and last night DH and I were a little more hopeful that the problem had been fixed. It is a shame that the azipod situation is still a concern. I agree that it would be nice if HAL simply made a decision and announced it so those of us who are booked and ready to go can either make other plans or prepare for alternatives. I realize that those who don't read the CC board are unaware of the problem and if we didn't know what we know now we would find out once on board. The fact is that we do know and knowing that nothing is being done to communicate with the booked guests is disappointing.

I realize that those who don't read the CC board are unaware of the problem and if we didn't know what we know now we would find out once on board. The fact is that we do know and knowing that nothing is being done to communicate with the booked guests is disappointing.

You are so right duck! What about all those people who are either booking independent shore excursions, or are planning something ashore with local friends or family? Can you imagine not being told until you board that you won't be in Cabo on Monday, but on Thursday instead? I know people who had their wedding ashore during a cruise.... spent all kinds of money on caterers, photographers, florists, rental of the venue, etc.... I can't imagine being put in that position :eek: , even though I realize HAL doesn't know that much regarding what is going on - I do think they should share what little they know....

You are so right duck! What about all those people who are either booking independent shore excursions, or are planning something ashore with local friends or family? Can you imagine not being told until you board that you won't be in Cabo on Monday, but on Thursday instead? I know people who had their wedding ashore during a cruise.... spent all kinds of money on caterers, photographers, florists, rental of the venue, etc.... I can't imagine being put in that position :eek: , even though I realize HAL doesn't know that much regarding what is going on - I do think they should share what little they know....

I agree Bardgal, and I have tried every venue that I can think of to get some info on our 11/25 cruise. No luck at all. They will not even acknowledge there is a problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas besides, Reservations, Customer Service (ships services) , and the PR department? I am getting "we aren't aware of any delays or itinerary changes" or I don't hear anything at all!! :(

Can someone try emailing Mr. Deering or if you have his email address share it with us? maybe, just maybe he would answer us. :rolleyes:

I think that is the worst thing about all this. Things happen and things break down and we can all accept that. But the lack of communication and the misleading answers from HAL only make things worse.

Wouldn't it be great if HAL moved ahead of other lines and improved their communication and main office info? In this age of the internet, the time has passed for handing out "the company line" when passengers are seeking reliable informtion.

I think that is the worst thing about all this. Things happen and things break down and we can all accept that. But the lack of communication and the misleading answers from HAL only make things worse.

Wouldn't it be great if HAL moved ahead of other lines and improved their communication and main office info? In this age of the internet, the time has passed for handing out "the company line" when passengers are seeking reliable informtion.

Tinkock, I agree with you 1000%. That is all we are asking for - reliable information - no promises, no denials, just the honest truth. It seems easy enough to do since my guess is that HAL has access to every email address or telephone number of every booked passenger!

Just my two cents on this apparent anxiety increasing saga: I think HAL is (still) hoping that the pod problem can be taken care of onboard and while Oosterdam is continuing her seven day cruises to Mexico and back. It looks like an attempt was made yesterday to put everything back together and see if the port side pod worked again. From what Carolcp posted, it was unsuccesful/unacceptable so it's back to the drawing board/plan B.

Unless someone here has inside scoop, no future Oosterdam cruises have been cancelled so speculating as to when and if this might happen only increases blood pressure. If/when HAL decides that the only way to repair the port side pod is to drydock Oosterdam you would think that a carefuly thought out decision will be made to set a date in the future with adequate time to notify (and compensate) the affected passengers.

I agree with many that Seattle should not be putting out bunk info that there is no problem with Oosterdam and/or a problem that existed has been fixed when it has not. Consider this though: those agents answering the phones up there might not have the latest info, don't know anything about this inside intelligence apparatus called Cruise Critic, and/or are giving out the "company line" on the premise/hopes that the problem can still be taken care of w/o a drydock. Pass the xanax!

Just my two cents on this apparent anxiety increasing saga: I think HAL is (still) hoping that the pod problem can be taken care of onboard and while Oosterdam is continuing her seven day cruises to Mexico and back. It looks like an attempt was made yesterday to put everything back together and see if the port side pod worked again. From what Carolcp posted, it was unsuccesful/unacceptable so it's back to the drawing board/plan B.

Unless someone here has inside scoop, no future Oosterdam cruises have been cancelled so speculating as to when and if this might happen only increases blood pressure. If/when HAL decides that the only way to repair the port side pod is to drydock Oosterdam you would think that a carefuly thought out decision will be made to set a date in the future with adequate time to notify (and compensate) the affected passengers.

I agree with many that Seattle should not be putting out bunk info that there is no problem with Oosterdam and/or a problem that existed has been fixed when it has not. Consider this though: those agents answering the phones up there might not have the latest info, don't know anything about this inside intelligence apparatus called Cruise Critic, and/or are giving out the "company line" on the premise/hopes that the problem can still be taken care of w/o a drydock. Pass the xanax!

Good Post, John

I won't hear from hubby until tomorrow at the earliest, he bought a small amount of internet time so he will only email once a day. I did ask him what delayed the departure and what are the times at the ports.

The National Review cruise is a group of about 400 conseratives. This is a partial list of speakers scheduled to speak, Richard Allen, Robert Bork, William Buckley, Ward Connerly, Dinesh D'Souza, Milton Friedman, Ed Gillespie, Jonah Goldberg, Victor Davis Hanson, Arthur Laffer, Bernard Lewis, Kathryn Jean Lopez, Rich Lowry, Jay Nordlinger, Kate O'Beirne, John O'Sullivan, Mac Owens, Ramesh Ponnuru, William Rusher, Congressman John Shadegg, Ken Starr, Pat Toomey, and David Pryce-Jones.

Carol

I won't hear from hubby until tomorrow at the earliest, he bought a small amount of internet time so he will only email once a day. I did ask him what delayed the departure and what are the times at the ports.

The National Review cruise is a group of about 400 conseratives. This is a partial list of speakers scheduled to speak, Richard Allen, Robert Bork, William Buckley, Ward Connerly, Dinesh D'Souza, Milton Friedman, Ed Gillespie, Jonah Goldberg, Victor Davis Hanson, Arthur Laffer, Bernard Lewis, Kathryn Jean Lopez, Rich Lowry, Jay Nordlinger, Kate O'Beirne, John O'Sullivan, Mac Owens, Ramesh Ponnuru, William Rusher, Congressman John Shadegg, Ken Starr, Pat Toomey, and David Pryce-Jones.

Carol

Wow! I would have loved to have been on that cruise.

Thanks for the reports from the cruise on the current status of the ship. :)

I have not heard from hubby since Saturday. I hope that the internet is not down. Another excuse could be that he is using all his minutes to work. Or he is having too much fun with the National Review cruise and they keep them too busy.

If he is having trouble with the ships internet I hope he finds a place in port.

Carol

I have not heard from hubby since Saturday. I hope that the internet is not down. Another excuse could be that he is using all his minutes to work. Or he is having too much fun with the National Review cruise and they keep them too busy.

If he is having trouble with the ships internet I hope he finds a place in port.

Carol

Carol,

Thanks for checking in:) ......maybe we will hear from him soon.

Repairs fixed or not??? Still working on it??? Port times???

Anyone hear anything from anyone onboard the O this week??? How about news from Mr. Deering???

Trying to keep this thread going and up top so we can find out something for our Dec. 2nd departure.

Thanks to all.

My husband and I are on our first cruise and have been pretty disappointed in what is going on on this ship. We were not notified of any previous problems with the ship prior to boarding (even though we have now heard that the prop problem has been ongoing for 4+weeks) The captain announced on the overhead that they thought they had corrected the problem when we departed (late) but then the next morning another announcement that the port side engine would not be used for the trip. The itinerary has been PV yesterday, Mazatlan today from 9:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m and then tomorrow Cabo (don't remember times) Additionally, we left Mazatlan late last night because of some sort of problem with the crew unable to bring up an anchor. An additional 2 hours in port to get that fixed. Additionally, the tender we took to PV lost all steering power when we were returning to the ship, so we sat drifting for almost 45 min. until the crew was able to sidle up to the side of the ship. All in all, it has been very disconcerting and unnerving for a first time cruiser. In lieu of all the problems we've encountered so far, I question if the starboard engine will get us back to San Diego. The only compensation the captain has offered is a $25 credit on all passenger accounts. Is cruising always this fraught with problems? Thanks for any response......Pat

My husband and I are on our first cruise and have been pretty disappointed in what is going on on this ship. We were not notified of any previous problems with the ship prior to boarding (even though we have now heard that the prop problem has been ongoing for 4+weeks) The captain announced on the overhead that they thought they had corrected the problem when we departed (late) but then the next morning another announcement that the port side engine would not be used for the trip. The itinerary has been PV yesterday, Mazatlan today from 9:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m and then tomorrow Cabo (don't remember times) Additionally, we left Mazatlan late last night because of some sort of problem with the crew unable to bring up an anchor. An additional 2 hours in port to get that fixed. Additionally, the tender we took to PV lost all steering power when we were returning to the ship, so we sat drifting for almost 45 min. until the crew was able to sidle up to the side of the ship. All in all, it has been very disconcerting and unnerving for a first time cruiser. In lieu of all the problems we've encountered so far, I question if the starboard engine will get us back to San Diego. The only compensation the captain has offered is a $25 credit on all passenger accounts. Is cruising always this fraught with problems? Thanks for any response......Pat

This is most definately an isolated incident with the Oosterdam -it's performed flawlessly since it's launch in 2003. Actually, I can't recall in recent memory any HAL ship having this sort of problem, which may be precisely why it's being such a bugger to fix. But I have sailed on the Oosterdam twice now without a single problem (save for a fire alarm going off one evening!).

Hopefully HAL will be able to get it repaired without requiring a drydock. Thanks for updating us on the current situation, and I hope the cruise improves for you!

Pat:

To answer your question... no, cruising usually isn't fraught with problems, and I'm sorry your first experience is proving to be frustrating. I have a "vested interest" in this cruise, as my next-door neighbors are also aboard the Oosterdam this week. They too, are new to cruising, and we spent a few hours together going over the aspects of their first cruise. I'm hoping the fun will outweigh the problems you all are encountering.

Thanks for your post, and I hope you're having a great time in spite of the mechanical problems. :) Please let us know, ok?

Pat, I am sorry this is giving you such a bad view of cruising. I was on the October 7th cruise on Oosterdam when the pod actually failed. We missed going to Puerto Vallarta entirely and there was allot of uncertainty. However we made the best of it. In the end we had a great time anyway and my wife who had initially sworn off cruising has agreed to give it another go. As others have stated this was a unique problem. According to ABB the company that makes the azipod, this particular problem had not been seen before in the 200 or so pods they've made. I hope that you'll be open to giving cruising another try in the future and that you dont let this spoil your vacation. After all, any vacation day is better than a day at work :)

Archived