Local specialties & handmade items?

Joby

I am in the midst of reading/researching about local specialties and handmade items from the ports on our upcoming cruise (Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Tortola). I love to buy local, unique, reasonably priced things from untouristy shops.

Examples might include: small paintings, jewelry, foods, cloth art, pottery, music...

I've read that Barbados' uniques might include "Banks beer, "Mount Gay" rum.

Any other suggestions and/or places to shop?

Definitely pottery. Some is sold at the Best of Barbados shops, of which there are several on the island. Their prices are somewhat higher than the actual potteries, but they carry lots of neat local stuff, even if you don't want pottery. If you can get to one of the actual potteries, prices are better, and you're more directly supporting the artisans. And, it's fun watching them throw a pot.

Rum is good too, of course, but you can buy rum lots of places, and once it's gone, it's gone... pottery is forever. :D

Sorry I posted too fast... Banks Beer is very good; I'd have brought some home, but IMHO, those things just taste better on-island. lol.

As for the prices at Best of Barbados, I was surprised at how much they carried that was very reasonably priced. Yes, it's a tourist thing, but an efficient way to get some local things without spending your entire day on the project. Have a great time on your cruise.

Don't forget the Calypso Rum Cakes... Far better than the Tortuga ones IMO. You can sample them at the shops in the terminal before you head out for the day and buy some on the way back to the ship. I also had some shipped to my office so I wouldn't have to pack them... :)

Don't forget the Calypso Rum Cakes... Far better than the Tortuga ones IMO. You can sample them at the shops in the terminal before you head out for the day and buy some on the way back to the ship. I also had some shipped to my office so I wouldn't have to pack them... :)

Have to agree that Calypso rum cakes are the great. DH & I have brought back many, many rum cakes from the various islands we have cruised and our friends agree with us that Calypso cakes are the best. (Blackbeard Rum Cakes from Grand Cayman come in second on the taste test.)

Over the past few years we've brought back about 8 different brands of rum cakes from our cruises and take a cake or two each time to our large card group to share. While Tortuga rum cakes seem to get most of the hype ( mostly attributed to the fact that Tortuga pays to have them sold and advertised on the cruise ships, IMHO), Tortuga runs dead last on a list of various rum cakes our friends want us to bring home when we cruise.

Dianne

Joby:

While in Barabados you must try some of the islands great Flying Fish. A good flying fish sandwich washed down with a Banks beer is a lunch to dream about.

Piton beer in St. Lucia is interesting as well. Ours were served with a twist of orange (much like Blue Moon is served) and served up in a frosty metal beer mug that hit the spot on a very hot day.

In St. Kitts you may find some very unique tops that are handpainted by local craftsmen. I purchased a very beautiful top for MIL on our trip 2 years ago and am looking forward to finding some more on our cruise in January.

Grenada is the port to find spices. I purchased a large shopping bag full of spices on our last trip there for about $25 - from nutmeg to chocolate balls to cinnamon, bay leaves, you name it, it's there.

Dianne

Hi 98Charlie, I'm not sure if you remember, but we have cruised together on the Horizon in March 2004. You took supplies to the Roatan orphanage. we live in Muncie and your husband happened to be here work related.

Anyway, thanks for the tips!

I brought back rum cakes from Nassau and we liked them. It sounds like I don't know my rum cakes :) I'll be certain to give the Calypso rum cakes a try. Are they as expensive as the Tortuga cakes? I thought they were a little pricey at $15/cake.

I'm asking about the beer, not to drink on island, but to bring back for my husband. I'm thinking it's something different than the usual T-shirt or hat.

I would like to try a flying fish sandwich though!

The St. Kitts tops sound interesting. I love handmade unique items. its fun when someone asks about the item and I can tell them all about it!!

pholter thanks to you also for the info. That's the stuff I'm hoping to find out pre-cruise.

Joby:

I thought I recognized your screen name but couldn't remember which ship we were on together. Thanks for jogging my aging brain.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant where we had our flying fish sandwich - but it was located at the marina (a hike from the dock area). Restaurant was on the second floor of a mall built along the marina. Had seating outside as well as inside. The sandwich was truly delightful, no strong fishy flavor and very flaky.

We have tried two different rum cakes from Nassau, Baccardi and another one that was cheaper. Our friends weren't fond of either of those. Calypso, as I remember, is about in the same price range as the ones in Nassau but have a better texture and flavor. The Calypso Rum Cake company is a small, family owned business and it shows that the family takes great pride in their product.

You might enjoy taking a tour of the Mount Gay rum dystillery while in Barbados. We took a taxi to Mount Gay. Total cost of taxi to and from plus tour ticket was much less than a ship tour. Had a great time and got to sample 3 or 4 of their rums.

FYI: Gwynn & I will be back in Roatan later this month on a Carnival cruise and will be taking several boxes of supplies to the orphanage as well as several books to a new library that is being built in French Harbor on the island.

Dianne

98Charlie, I think I have the year wrong--it should be March 2005--I'm glad you remembered though.

Thanks for the extra info. I'm copying and pasting all of the hints I gather from here.

On Barbados, we are doing a catamaran trip with Silver Moon I from 9-3. We will have time at the beginning/end of the day to shop a bit as we are in port from 7-5. It's a Sunday though and I'm not sure if that will affect shops being open.

Thanks for the info and have a great time on your Carnival cruise. I know the orphanage appreciates all of your efforts!!!

I spent a week there 2 years ago and stopped for a day from a ship. I think the Very Old Mt. Gay rum is the best there is. There are several other old rums worth bringing back-some in interesting bottle. The flying fish sandwich and Banks beer place is right downtown near the bridge and overlooks the Nelson statue and government buildings. Be sure to take your passport when you shop as liquor has local and duty free prices in US and EC $. Last time we did a beach, this time shopping downtown and lunch.

Archived