Local specialties & handmade items?

Joby

I am in the midst of reading/researching about local specialties and handmade items from the ports on our upcoming cruise (Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Tortola). I love to buy local, unique, reasonably priced things from untouristy shops.

Examples might include: small paintings, jewelry, foods, cloth art, pottery, music...

I've read that Dominica's uniques might include Carib Indian hand woven items, music, soap, ginger wine, "Kubuli" beer, dolls, grass rugs.

Any other suggestions and/or places to shop?

I was going to tell you about the soap and Ginger Wine... We bought soap from a small vendor who set up shop just across the street from Mr. Nice's Fruit stand. You can buy both items right across the street from the pier though in the small shopping area.

I'm not positive on the pricing, but I'm pretty sure the soap was less than $1 per bar and the wine was either $5 or $7. Our tour guide Reynold, served us the Ginger wine in the van and it was yummy if you like sweet, dessert type wines. The Plantain Chips on the island are pretty awesome too.

Definitely get some of the woven goods from the Carib Indians. I brought back the most amazing fans, baskets and purse. They made distintive gifts and the patterns are just beautiful. If possible, look for the famous "double" woven pots.

We got ours at a little roadside stand run by a guy named Moses, deep in the Carib territory. Our tour guide, Beno, took us to see him and the other Carib places. Fascinating listening to Moses explain about the Caribs who settled most of the Southern Caribbean islands and were much feared during those early times.

Archived