Local specialties & handmade items?

Joby

I am in the midst of reading/researching about local specialties and handmade items from the ports on our upcoming cruise (Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Tortola). I love to buy local, unique, reasonably priced things from untouristy shops.

Examples might include: small paintings, jewelry, foods, cloth art, pottery, music...

I've read that Grenada's uniques might include spices, dolls, batik, soap, jellies. we will be in Grenada on a Saturday--is the Saturday market worth looking into?

Any other suggestions and/or places to shop?

Batik is one choice, there is a shop on Young Street where you can see batik work being done in the shop and buy some of the products.

Many spices are available and of course Grenada is reowned for its nutmeg which goes into a variety of products including jams, jellies and syrup.

The market is a great place to visit for the local colour but you will need to go in the morning if you are in Grenada on a Saturday as many shops close for the weekend in the early afternoon.

Thanks for the info denboy.

I didn't know about the early closing, I'm glad you mentioned it. Do you have any ideas as to what's available or really a good buy at the Saturday market?

Do you have any suggetions on nutmeg speciaities?

We will be with a subcontracted driver through Mandoo. Sure hope he/she is good:) Mandoo assures me that the driver will be good.

Batik is one choice, there is a shop on Young Street where you can see batik work being done in the shop and buy some of the products.

Many spices are available and of course Grenada is reowned for its nutmeg which goes into a variety of products including jams, jellies and syrup.

The market is a great place to visit for the local colour but you will need to go in the morning if you are in Grenada on a Saturday as many shops close for the weekend in the early afternoon.

Is the market open during the week and how does one get there from cruise ship?

We'll be on Grenada on Sunday, February 25th. We have pre-reserved a ship's tour of the island.

One of the posts mentioned that the shops are closed on the weekend, That's bad, because we like to pick up a souvenir from each island we visit. Does anyone know if there might be anything open at or near the pier?

Is the market open during the week and how does one get there from cruise ship?

The market is open during the week. To get to it is a very short walk, on exiting the cruise ship you pass through the Esplanade shopping centre and onto the street. Cross the road and go up the street almost opposite where you came out and it is literally one minutes walk to the market.

We'll be on Grenada on Sunday, February 25th. We have pre-reserved a ship's tour of the island.

One of the posts mentioned that the shops are closed on the weekend, That's bad, because we like to pick up a souvenir from each island we visit. Does anyone know if there might be anything open at or near the pier?

The shops within the Esplanade Shopping Mall will be open on a Sunday but not those in town. In the shopping mall there are several shops selling souvenirs so you will be able to pick something up.

The market is open during the week. To get to it is a very short walk, on exiting the cruise ship you pass through the Esplanade shopping centre and onto the street. Cross the road and go up the street almost opposite where you came out and it is literally one minutes walk to the market.

Thanks for the info denboy:)

Archived