Has X Ticked You Off?

Capt

Vanessa ~ WOW.....they won't let you switch without waiving the cancellation fee? Did you book direct or with an agent? That's really disappointing.

Please don't take this the wrong way....I don't blame you for taking advantage of everything you can on the cruise, but please don't order food you have no intention of eating. That's not hurting X at all....it's just wasting food .... I have this thing about wasting food when so many people go hungry every day. I almost never express this type of thought here on the boards and I don't blame you at all if you chose to never sail with X again, just don't waste food.

By the way....how very generous of you to take your staff! Enjoy!

Vanessa, I do not blame you at all for being ticked off at X. As a "premium line" they need to empower their agents to make these types of win/win decisions on their behalf.

Not only did their decision cost them money in the short term, it will cost them a client in the long run.

Really, how silly is that?

In truth, I won't order double meals. Not because of wasting food, but because it's just silly. I was venting. But I will not cruise X again. Over the years, I have spent an average of $10K a year on this line. I tip well. I am a conscientious customer. I pick up my towels, keep my room neat to minimize the work for the stateroom attendant and butler. I don't make extraordinary demands, I don't complain about a little wear and tear. I don't complain at all. I am an easy ten grand a year for Celebrity, not to mention what I spend on board.

I will not whine any further on these boards. Nothing you folks can do. But I will vote with my wallet. And I will write to the president and tell him why.

Their loss.

Vanessa

My TA tried hard to get them to see how foolish this was. She spoke to them, emailed them, and then spoke to them again.

The problem is size. Now that we are dealing with a mega-conglomorate (RCL/Celebrity) they have lost the flexibility and personal contact which is necessary to meet their customer's needs during the planning stages. The mega ships they are building are a metaphor for the tremendous changes in this line.

For the most part, on the ships, I still enjoy the personal touches. I have never had a bad day on an X ship. However, we spend a great deal of our time anticipating our cruises. During that time, we are dealing with the faceless monolith. Unless and until that part of the experience changes, I will go where I receive the attention I need to plan, prepare, and pleasantly anticipate.

Vanessa

We need to forget "the good ole days" Crusing has changed regardless of what line we sail. Some of what we miss will never return, some of our dissatifactions comes from repetition. the same thrill just isn't there and last, but not least, all cruise lines have their strong points and week points. I have my loyalty to one line, but still wander when the itinerary or price seems better. What I miss about Celebrity I can find on another line. What I love about Celebrity is only offered by them. yesterday is gone forever and tomorrow isn't quite here.

NMNita

Yes, but that is the rational answer, and with a choice like this, you're dealing with emotional every bit as much as rational. When a company does something to REALLY upset you (as it seems happened to Alaska Boo), it becomes a matter of principal. You no longer want to give any of your money to that company even if their product is still a great choice.

I got in a fight with a telecommunications company once, and promptly switched my service to another company. From then on, I got repeated phone calls and letters offering me the moon to come back to them. I finally had to get a manager on the phone and tell him that I wouldn't return to their company if THEY paid ME a dollar a minute for using their service. I didn't care about getting a good deal at that point - it became a matter of principle.

That's what I think these big companies forget. We may not remember in 6 months what we paid for something, but we will DEFINITELY remember if we felt we were treated badly! Treat your customers well, and you will make money off of them for a long time. Treat them badly, and that well will dry up!

I refuse to give up. I will miss Celebrity, but I will keep looking to find a more positive overall experience in "old fashioned" cruising. Perhaps it isn't out there now, but I know I'm not alone in wanting this, so I think some entrepreneurial line will bring it back (or it is already out there for me to find.)

In my family, we also do more adventure-based trips, such as bare boat charters of catamarans (the Moorings), and eco-cruises (like Lindblad, etc). Perhaps our days of traditional cruising are coming to an end and will be replaced with something else. River cruises, maybe?

Really, I'm not angry. More sad.

I refuse to give up. I will miss Celebrity, but I will keep looking to find a more positive overall experience in "old fashioned" cruising. Perhaps it isn't out there now, but I know I'm not alone in wanting this, so I think some entrepreneurial line will bring it back (or it is already out there for me to find.)

In my family, we also do more adventure-based trips, such as bare boat charters of catamarans (the Moorings), and eco-cruises (like Lindblad, etc). Perhaps our days of traditional cruising are coming to an end and will be replaced with something else. River cruises, maybe?

Really, I'm not angry. More sad.

No, you are not alone and I feel the same way. I am not sure what the answer is but for the price you are paying, you can certainly afford a luxury line where cruising has not been as negatively affected as in the mass market.

In the meantime, land vacations are a great option and river cruises are on my list as well.

My TA tried hard to get them to see how foolish this was. She spoke to them, emailed them, and then spoke to them again.

The problem is size. Now that we are dealing with a mega-conglomorate (RCL/Celebrity) they have lost the flexibility and personal contact which is necessary to meet their customer's needs during the planning stages. The mega ships they are building are a metaphor for the tremendous changes in this line.

For the most part, on the ships, I still enjoy the personal touches. I have never had a bad day on an X ship. However, we spend a great deal of our time anticipating our cruises. During that time, we are dealing with the faceless monolith. Unless and until that part of the experience changes, I will go where I receive the attention I need to plan, prepare, and pleasantly anticipate.

Vanessa

Alaska Boo; Your statement referring to Celebrity as becoming a "faceless monolith" is exactly what has happened. The people on the front line have no authority to correct a mistake, no matter how wrong it may be, and are forced to follow the writings that have been written in stone, by the top dogs. Considering how great the on board experience can be on Celebrity, it is indeed a sad thing to see this happening. A good on board experience must also be met with good customer service. I have also joined the ever increasing number of former loyal Celebrity customers who are going to vote with their wallet.

I guess you can say I'm a loyal Celebrity cruiser. I have also cruised RCL as well. I became hooked on cruising after my first cruise on the Explorer of the Seas.

That's what is nice about our cruise industry, there's something for everyone. You just have to find out what that is

After my Alaska cruise next May on the Summit, I will be thinking about Europe, but I will also be looking at Oceania for those cruises and not Celebrity.

Why? They have much better European itineraries than Celebrity. And if I'm spending good money and prefer longer cruises, Oceania offers that.

I think Celebrity puts out a good product. There's no such thing as a bad cruise in my opinion.

We need to forget "the good ole days" Crusing has changed regardless of what line we sail. NMNita
That's just not accurate in my opinion. We cruised Oceania this year and did feel like we were in the good old days of cruising. We definitely did not have that feeling sailing the Constellation last year.

Alaska Boo, thank you for posting this information, and I wish you well in your travels.

Donna

We need to forget "the good ole days" Crusing has changed regardless of what line we sail.

Sorry, I do not agree.

I still listen to the music I prefer, dine at restaurants that do not have drive through windows or hand put pagers, dress for dinner, and enjoy many traditions that are not fashionable by some of today's standards.

There is a reason they are often referred to as "good ole days" and some of us prefer a touch of elegance in our cruising vacations.

Guess what? I am from the "good ole days" as well and yes, I like the 50s music, I like to remember when, but I also am a realist. things do change. I can remember my parents talking about the "good ole days" I also remember their music, it was pretty cool as well. some of their favorites were from the late 20s when dad was in college and some from the 40s when he was in the Navy. I still feel the mass marketed companies, not just the cruiselines will continue to change policies to attract a different market. It is still possible to enjoy some of the things we miss in cruising or whatever if we can afford to pay for it, and yet many of the upscale lines have also changed policies.

NMNita

• 3 months later...

I am also considering trying an alternative line the next time. We have enjoyed our three cruises on Celebrity--Constellation Baltic 2003, Infinity 11 day SF to Alaska, Century Western Caribbean 2 weeks ago, but..

Food and general level of service seem to have become tired over these years, and for the second time, Celebrity has made a mistake in our billing which will take some weeks to sort out if I don't want to pay an extra 8.6%--see my post on disputing a charge if interested.

We are not high rollers, but do have a fair amount of wine, take excursions, etc. I'm wondering about an all-inclusive, smaller ship such as Regent's, SS, Crystal. We are near retirement age, like enrichment rather than disco, think the large cabins look good. We would also consider another line in the same category as Celebrity.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks.

Sooner or later "X " will alienate themselves from the loyal consumer.

It may be the embark and disembark procedures, the repetitive itineraries, the seldom changed menu, non-competitive suite prices or the same tired stuff that you will get if you sail them year after year after year.

They surely are not the line that they were when we started cruising them in the early 90's. The dining room food was fairly close to what the alternative dining rooms are today. Frequent cruise spiffs were better (God, I'm sounding like my Dad) and we felt a little more special than we recently have.

To celebrate our attainment of Celebrity's highest frquent cruiser status we are going AWOL to Princess. Will we dislike it? Only trying it will answer the question. If we find out X is really not that bad, we will gladly return.

Exercise your free-market rights!! See what the competition has to offer.

If they fall short and the experience is wanting return to the line that "exceeds your expectations" As far as our upcoming cruise we will be pleased if it meets our expectations.

Will report post cruise.

I don't know why I missed this thread from last November, but I just have to post and clear up something from AlaskaBoo's post.

Neither of the PH suites were available on Millennium for the January 14, 2007 sailing, so there's no way Celebrity refused to book one of the two PH suites. How do I know this? Mom and sis were booked in 6148 for more than 9 months and 6147 was booked for more than 6 months. Again, how do I know this? I don't know if any of you remember my post about X wanting to cancel a cruise for a family because their TA screwed up their booking by telling them 5 would fit into a PH. My TA called and asked if mom and sis would switch PH's with them so their cruise wouldn't be cancelled. We did this, and X very graciously upgraded me to a RS on our November 27th, Constellation cruise as a thank you for changing PH's. So the family wound up in 6148 and we switched over to 6147 in early November.

So, because of that, there was no way on earth a PH was available on the January 14, 2007 cruise on Millennium since both PH's were booked way before AlaskaBoo appeared to want to change sailing dates.

Oh and BTW, that was the sailing mom broke her hip.

I don't know why I missed this thread from last November, but I just have to post and clear up something from AlaskaBoo's post.

Neither of the PH suites were available on Millennium for the January 14, 2007 sailing, so there's no way Celebrity refused to book one of the two PH suites.

Thanks for the clarification Darcie. It is amazing what some people do just to cause a stir. :confused:

Well, Celebrity have lost me also. On principle I will not travel with them. I am quite satisfied with RCCL - I know its the same Company, but not the same line - and if RCCL Customer Service behave as badly towards us as Celebrity, it will be goodbye RCCL!!!

In fact, RCCL is improving rapidly - the food has been good recently and we like the huge variety of entertainment available. Yes, various things have gone wrong, but these are only small hassles.

Customer service should be referring good repeat customers much sooner to a second level of Management equipped with enough intelligence and authority to solve the problem properly!!

I guess we're too new to cruising to have any real gripes or comparisons with long ago. We've been on 4 Royal Carib. and 3 X with another X booked for next year and another X planned, but not booked yet for summer '09.

All our cruises have been wonderful and we have no desire to switch from these two lines. The only complaint I had on our last cruise was the lack of communication about the Connections party so that more than half the signees missed out.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

C2C said:

"For every trip on X I get $200 for booking on board and $250 for owning the stock...

Carnival policy against double dipping: Princess and HAL don't allow both credits on the same sailing.. That extra dough is worth laundry and internet credits."

Just a note on this issue - sailed HAL' s Veendam last month and got both the early booking and the stock credit>

Capt,

Far be it for me to tell you what to do. All I can say is that it's your money and I feel you should spend it the way you choose. If you feel that Princess is the way to go then by all means do it. AFAIAC every cruise line has their advantages and shortcommings. I like Celebrity and Carnival but I do want to branch out and try others like HAL and Princess. Whatever you choose I hope it works out for you!

FF

I had a unfortunate time with X in April of 2006. We were in line for embarkation, on a very warm day, for 2 and a half hours. Little did I know disembarkation would be worse. We had an early card, on the loudspeaker the night before disembarking there was an announcement not to get in line until an hour after original time. What a nightmare! Of course people did not pay attention and the officers allowed profane and nasty people to push and shove there way to the front of the line. Also, they had ran out of fresh brewed coffee two days before and served instant. When I came home and informed them of my disappointment with their procedures they could have cared less. Why should I give them my money when there are many other choices.

We just returned from the PC on the Summit. We loved every moment of it. We have done 5 other cruises on X. We tried Princess once and couldnt get back to X fast enough. Really missed those extra touches. The only time we were ticked off was when we had to leave the ship !!

Archived