Helicopter to Montserrat?

augpod

Hi all: My husband and I just booked our first cruise with RC--we are going to the Southern Caribbean in late December on the Serenade of the Seas. In looking through the shore excursions, we came upon a description of a helicopter exursion out of Antigua, which goes to Montserrat Volcano. My husband is a serious fan of volcanoes, so it's tempting, but it's very expensive--and it looks like it doesn't last for very long. Has anyone tried this, and if so--is it worth the extra $$$$? Is it wonderful beyond words? Thanks for any guidance! Sara

Sara...I did this excursion last March when in Antigua. It was by far, hands down the BEST excursion I have ever done and it was worth every penny! I suggest he book it now if he wants to do it, they tend to book up fast. They meet you on the dock, take you to a waiting van and the drive to their site is about 5 minutes. You can actually see where they fly in/out of from the ship across the bay.

Actual flight time was close to an hour, St. Thomas for example has flight time of 15-20 min. They fly you very close to the ship for pictures and down the coast of Antigua before heading across to Montserrat. I lucked out and was the only one in our family that went so being the single one, I asked the guy who was assigning seats if I could have the front with the pilot since the other 4 were couples. They flew us up very close to the volcano, huge steaming rocks were tumbling down the face of it. The pilot took us all over the island, showed us every part that was destroyed by the lava flow and the canyons it created. I had the camcorder going in one had and my digital in the other. The pilot was also on the lookout for whales since they had been spotted between the islands within a few days of when I went. Didn't see any though.

Words can't describe the feelings from excitement being in a helicopter to sorrow for those that had their lives devistated by it. I'm planning on doing it again next time I'm in Antigua and so is the rest of my family after seeing the video of it!! You should go with him it's incredible!!! I took tons of pics, give me your email if you want me to send you some samples :)

Company name is Carribean Helicopters. I emailed them a few months before the cruise and told them I'd like to book their flight. They asked me specifically if I was coming in on a ship or staying on the island and if I were staying where, what hotel etc. They obviously have an arrangement with the cruise lines as all do to make cruise customers book through the ship so cruiseline can make more money as well. Difference was $50 cheaper had I been staying on the island, still WELL worth it!!

Carribean Helicopters website: http://www.caribbeanhelicopters.net/tour-mont.html

Thanks everyone for the info! We are inspired and have booked the helicopter flight. SLCboys, did you get a better rate going directly through the CH company? I hadn't thought about that--we probably paid more doing it as an excursion. Oh well. The die is cast. And yes, we'd love to look at your pictures--my address is smeltons@utk.edu . Thanks! Sara

I tried Booking on my own. and apparently they only do independent tours on days that Cruise ships are not in port. On those days they only fly thru trips book with the ship. I would book through RCCL now. If you can book on your own you can always cancel the one you book through RCCL. For me it was the only way I could book. And They only offered 4 flights for the day.

Sara...after I told them I was coming via ship, they emailed back and said I had to book through the ship. As I said, WELL worth every penny even at $250. I'll send some pics tonight. You will love this excursion!!

Archived