Paradise Beach question - umbrellas/shade

betsycam71

My husband and I are redheads and love to hang out at the beach, but would it would make it much more comfortable to get an umbrella to sit under so we don't look matching lobsters for the rest of the cruise. We both use sunscreen, but even then I can feel my skin burning after a short amount of time.

Tom - are chances good that I will be able to get an umbrella so that we can stay at your beach for most of the day? I would love to sit and relax, but having shade will allow us to stay longer (and eat/drink more!). Our ship is supposed to arrive around 10AM, so my goal will be to grab a taxi to get to the beach as soon as possible.

Not asking for special treatment, just wondering if there are a lot of umbrellas available since I wasn't sure how busy the beach is in early December.

Thanks for your help!

Betsy,

I am sure you will hear from Tom, but from our experience, if you make Paradise your destination when you first get off your ship, you should have little problems getting and umbrella. While we were there on a cloudy day, there were what appeared to be plenty of umbrellas to handle those coming. The beach, chairs, and umbrellas stretched a good ways down the beach. From our opinion, it was a fun day at the beach and you will really enjoy yourselves. The food was awesome and the drinks were great too. Nice going to someplace so friendly and not wanting to charge for the use of the beach or chairs as long as you enjoy the food and drinks and if you try any of them you will probably be hooked for seconds too.

I agree that you will most likely not have any problem getting an umbrella to sit under at Paradise Beach. There were plently even with 3 ships in port the day I was there last week. I do want to caution you, however, that just sitting under the umbrella will not guarantee that you will not turn red. You should still use plenty of sunscreen. My brother thought he had it made in the shade, pun definitely intended, but still got quite red from the reflection of the sun's rays off the sand and water. Shoulda used the sunscreen like the rest of us!!!!

CarolSW

Houston, TX

I, too, burn easily. In fact for me it's not a question of if I will burn, but how long can I postpone it! There are lots of umbrellas at Paradise Beach so you will really enjoy that! In addition to sunscreen, I recommend you purchase "surf" shirts (often called rash shirts) to wear when swimming or snorkling to protect more of your body from the sun. I ended up buying one on the trip, but I should have worn it from day one.

HEY! Thanx for answering, everyone! I spent the weekend in Playa del Carmen, so I haven't been on the boards since Fri. pm!

betsycam71...early Dec will be busier than it is now (Low Season) but if you get here early, there won't be a problem. We also have 2 large covered palapa dining areas where you can "hide" as well...hasta la vista!

Thank you to everyone for their replies! I will be sure to pack lots of sunscreen and will make sure I bring it with us to reapply while at the beach. I plan on wearing a straw hat to help prevent a Rudolph nose. :-)

I'll do my very best to scoot on over to Paradise Beach as soon as we can get off the ship. I'm sure we'll have a blast. I've been looking through the menu and have found several goodies we can munch on. Have to have some coco-locos, too!

Thanks again!

I, too, burn easily. In fact for me it's not a question of if I will burn, but how long can I postpone it! There are lots of umbrellas at Paradise Beach so you will really enjoy that! In addition to sunscreen, I recommend you purchase "surf" shirts (often called rash shirts) to wear when swimming or snorkling to protect more of your body from the sun. I ended up buying one on the trip, but I should have worn it from day one.

What's a surf or rash shirt? I usually wear a t-shirt when snorkeling, but it looks awful. Is there a better alternative?

Aw heck. I thought Paradise Beach had the palapas to sit under, not umbrellas. The palapas are so 'island-ish' and blend w/scenery. I don't understand why anyone would build up a nice resort area and use those garish umbrellas - much like all the beaches in Florida.:confused:

I'm disappointed. Otherwise, PB sounds wonderful.

When spending the day at PB, is it possible to run a "tab" for food and drink (which I'm sure we will get a ton of), or is it pay as you go? I don't mind to pay when we're served, but it's easier to run a tab and pay all at once. We did that last year on the beach in Playa Del Carmen, and we really appreciated it, and tipped well when we left. Can't wait to see Paradise Beach! We'll be on our honeymoon, and it sounds perfect!

Beth

Cotton...well, our 2 main buildings and our south-end beach bar all have palapa roofs, if that's any consolation! I don't think our umbrellas are garish, (well of course I wouldn't!) not like the ones the beer companies provide! They are cotton, solid royal blue, and they have the advantage of portability, and they also tilt to block out more of the sun's rays than a static palapa.

Cotton, how didja manage to hold on to all your posts when everyone else lost theirs???

Beth...Congrats on your marriage! Yes, we run tabs exactly like PDC. Enjoy your honeymoon and I'll see you at the beach!

Hey Tom. Sorry. I just went to your website. Your umbrellas are very nice, and I do love royal blue. OK, they're not garish. Mea culpa.

About the post count - it was at 3,800 before the board changed.:(

Palapas or not, I'll still be looking forward to meeting you on Nov.1.

Archived