HAL Noordam or RCCL Explorer?

2boyzmom

OK- I'm asking here because I know if I ask on HAL or RCCL I'll get a one sided opinion. Plus I love NCL and only wished they were offering me what I wanted for President's week 2008 (NYC to S.Carribean).

We are early 40's with 2 little boys age 4 and 6. We love being pampered and value good service. Activities are important but not as important as itinerary. The new Noordam looks impressive and kid friendly and only 1800 passengers compared to the huge explorer. But will the kids be bored?? Opinions needed ! The itineraries are almost identical.

OK- I'm asking here because I know if I ask on HAL or RCCL I'll get a one sided opinion. Plus I love NCL and only wished they were offering me what I wanted for President's week 2008 (NYC to S.Carribean).

We are early 40's with 2 little boys age 4 and 6. We love being pampered and value good service. Activities are important but not as important as itinerary. The new Noordam looks impressive and kid friendly and only 1800 passengers compared to the huge explorer. But will the kids be bored?? Opinions needed ! The itineraries are almost identical.

:confused: :confused: Don`t think that this belongs on the NCL board.IMO. Why don`t you ask your neighborhood travel agent?. They will be impartial:)

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter which you pick. I think you'd have pluses and minuses on each. The Explorer is really geared toward kids and families. The kids pool area is adorable and there are lots of activities. The downside is that during President's week prepare yourself for hoards of kids.

The Noordam will probably have a little older crowd, but will probably have a good amount of families. They do have children's activites, but I don't think to the extent of the Explorer. But then again, with less kids, your children may get more attention than if they were in a group of 600 kids.

Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose.

Your kids are only 6 and 4 years old, so either cruise line will keep them happy. If they were teenagers, I would recommend the RCI ship. Shucks, they will be happy just being with you. Pick the itinerary and fares you like best, forget about pleasing the kids.

Your kids are only 6 and 4 years old, so either cruise line will keep them happy. If they were teenagers, I would recommend the RCI ship. Shucks, they will be happy just being with you. Pick the itinerary and fares you like best, forget about pleasing the kids.

I like the way you think.lol

• 1 month later...

When I was on HAL (Zuiderdam), the average age of the passengers was quite high...probably in their mid 60s. I think you (not just your kids) may find it somewhat boring compared to NCL. My parents (mid 50s) did and so did I.

If you haven't made a final decision yet, you might want to check out Princess and see if they have anything that appeals to you. We've had great experiences with them. Good luck!

I think your kids will love the Noordam. I just came home from an 11 day with my 2 year old and he had a blast. Even though he was too young for Club Hal, he was allowed to play there when accompanied by an adult and he loved it. The other kids i saw around the ship and there were more than I expected seemed to be having a good time. The Lido pool has a retractable glass roof which makes the ship perfect for cold weather cruising. We were comfortable swimming on the first sea day and spent time in the pool on the day before we docked.

I agree that nothing much happens on this ship after midnight, but with 2 kids you won't be up then anyway. You will probably have a better time on the Noordam.

Hi barbels:

Good to know that your 2 year old had a good time. I am taking my kids 2 and 6 on the noordam in FEB. What excursions were you able to do if any? Did you eat dinner in Dining Room or the LIDO? I am getting nervous taking my kids. Plese make me feel at ease. TIA

Archived