Check-in w/ Senior or Resident Rates

I thought I would pose this question to the all knowing cruise critcs, before calling RCI customer service. This question actually relates to the senior discount, but I assume the redisency rates would be handled the same.

Background: There are three people booked in a room using the senior 55+ rate. However, due to prior obligations we will not be traveling to the ship together.

Issue: Two of us (not 55+) will be flying down the day before, and will be ready to get on the ship ASAP. The other passenger (being the senior) will be flying in the day of and will not arrive at the cruise port until around 1-2pm.

I have read the RCI website and it states that age verification must be provided at the pier, if not the higher rate will be charged. We will definately be completing online check-in and printing seapass docments. I am wondering if this situation has actually happened to other passengers and wonder if we will be able to get on the ship without his (age verification).

then you will be fine as the lower rate will be charged when he/she proves her age with her ID. If she isn't then you must wait for her to show to checkin together since they could deny boarding.

Have a great cruise after you all get together to board.

I thought I would pose this question to the all knowing cruise critcs, before calling RCI customer service. This question actually relates to the senior discount, but I assume the redisency rates would be handled the same.

Background: There are three people booked in a room using the senior 55+ rate. However, due to prior obligations we will not be traveling to the ship together.

Issue: Two of us (not 55+) will be flying down the day before, and will be ready to get on the ship ASAP. The other passenger (being the senior) will be flying in the day of and will not arrive at the cruise port until around 1-2pm.

I have read the RCI website and it states that age verification must be provided at the pier, if not the higher rate will be charged. We will definately be completing online check-in and printing seapass docments. I am wondering if this situation has actually happened to other passengers and wonder if we will be able to get on the ship without his (age verification).

We had resident rates on our last 2 cruises. We use our passports as ID which do not have address information on them and we were not asked to prove our residencey for either cruise.

The cruises left from San Diego and Galveston. We are residents of Illinois so it's not as if these were local departure ports.

I don't think it has anything to do with who pays for the cruise. When I book a cruise online, every time I put in that one of us is over 55, a warning comes up that ID will be required at port.

I'd agree with agrigar, just wait an hour or two for the senior passenger and all board at the same time. That way, there will be no hassle or frustration on your part. It's not a big deal to board a little later than the crowd. Enjoy a little sightseeing around town instead of rushing to the ship.

I just had the same situation. You can check in without the person that qualifies the cabin for the reduced fare as long as you do not list that person on your SetSail papers.

So, for my father who was booked in my cabin (and was traveling at a different time with my mother) I simply printed him off his own Set Sail agreement that had only his name on it. On my agreement I had my name and my kids. Then I printed my mother her own with just her name.

When we checked in I do not remember them asking me for anything with proof of age for the senior discount.

I just had the same situation. You can check in without the person that qualifies the cabin for the reduced fare as long as you do not list that person on your SetSail papers.

So, for my father who was booked in my cabin (and was traveling at a different time with my mother) I simply printed him off his own Set Sail agreement that had only his name on it. On my agreement I had my name and my kids. Then I printed my mother her own with just her name.

When we checked in I do not remember them asking me for anything with proof of age for the senior discount.

They didn't look at your bith cert or passport?

Sure they looked at all of our documents, but my father was the one that qualified the room for the senior discount- I guess they verified him when he checked in.

My point was simply that people from the same room do not need to check in at the same time as long as the SetSail Pass being presented at check in only lists those boarding at the same time. Which, in my case was me and my two children.

Andnickali - I am guessing that your Mom and Dad were a stateroom together, and you and children were in the second stateroom - how did you work the keys? or did your Dad switch rooms? Thanks in advance for any advice

Maddle

Thanks for the info. I was sure this has happened to somone. I will print seperate Setsail passes for everyone.

However, I am still confused with your room arrangements. Did they just assume that your mother was the senior in the party and did not ask for ID's.

Normally I wouldn't mind just waiting an hour or two (We could just go to lunch). However, it may end up being up to four hours. We would have to check out of our galveston hotel around 11am and his plane doesn't land in Houston until around 1pm. Factoring in the 45+ minute shuttle ride to galveston (assuming it runs straight to the cruise port),doesn't seem to be a very feasable option

Archived