Best month to cruise Alaska

mikjr

we're planning a cruise to Alaska and want to do it right the first time.

We like longer cruises (10+ days). I notice most of the Alaskan cruises are only 7 days, and the ones that are longer are either early or late in the cruise season.

We're looking at a 13/14 day on Celebrity Summit in September. Is the weather acceptable in September?

Also, I've heard there is more wild life in the spring. Any comments there?

I'd love to hear comments and experiences from those that have cruised Alaska during various months.

We like Princess and Celebrity... any other suggestions there?

thanks in advance...

mike

We're going in June, but just wanted to say that the itineraries on the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean repositioning cruises look great! RCI's Radiance of the Seas has a similar itinerary: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do;jsessionid=0000EFvLbJg9mQ1JAmndK5SpSsB:10ktmevl6?packageCode=RD14A002&date=20073&selectedCurrencyCode=&promoType=

September has the biggest potential for the worse weather, can be cold and rainy. You also are dealing with limited daylight, dusk by mid Sept at 7pm.

No there is not more wildlife in the spring- if you mean viewing??? And wildlife viewing requires tours, never expect any sightings like those in the brochures, a good pair of wide angle binoculars 10 power and above is necessary.

I have taken 13 Alaska cruises, 22 Alaska trips. May, very beg. of June, very end of July though last sailing of Sept. With August the most. My preference is May for cruising only- if combined with land touring- August, Sept with a northbound cruise- not southbound. Land touring alone, still August into Sept.

Archived