Tallinn & Helsinki Walking Tours

We are leaving in a few weeks for the Baltic with Radisson. Can anyone help me with a few questions?

In Tallinn, I've heard about the short leg and the long leg. Is this after you

get to the Upper Town, or is Pikk Street a steep climb also?

In Helsinki, how hard a walk is it from the Esplande to the Rock Church. Should we plan to take a taxi. How are the trolley buses? Do they go to the

Rock Church. We plan on a short time in port in Helsinki because that port is between 3 highly intense days in St. Pete and 3 highly intense days in Moscow.

Thanks for anyone's help

Mary Lou

- The climb to Tallin's upper town is about the same as walking up the stairs of the Celebrity Constellation from deck 1 to deck 11. Tallin is quite small and unless walking up steps is difficult for you it is no problem whatsoever. If climbing steps is a problem, take a cab up and walk down.

- We took a cab to the Rock Church in Copenhagen but walked back. Once again, it depends upon your ability to walk. This is about as far as walking the length of the Constellation about ten or fifteen times. Personally, I didn't see anything particularly impressive at the Rock Church and didn't stay long. Instead we walked to the nearby National Museum, where we enjoyed a well spent hour+ of history. You may want to utilize the taxi simply to save time.

In Tallinn I'd suggest you take a cab up to the Nevsky church and amble your way down. In Helsinki, if you're looking for a relaxing day, why not take the tour bus for 90 min. which stops for about 10 min each at the Rock Church and Sibelius Monument and use the rest of your time to poke around the outdoor market and a local cafe. Just one other suggestion re: Moscow: if you have the time try to get to the contemporaty art museum. We didn't have time to go in but the sculpture garden is a really interesting mix of modern sculpture, propaganda sculpture (which they decided to consolidate rather than destroy - our guide seemed to think that it might be the only non-defaced sculpture of Stalin left in the country)) and a couple of very moving installations honoring those politically repressed. I'm not watching the board much so if you have questions, contact me at jamieney@aol.com

Archived