Traveling with Dive Gear

chadbeck

Just wondering if any one has had problems taking your regs and dive computer on board instead of checking them through? Would like to take away the chance of them getting damaged.

Thanks

Chad

Chad,

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but so far so good on checking my gear through on flights and then at the pier onto the ship.

I always take my regulator/computer and camera on board in carry on....... But I pack the other stuff and check it on the plane...... I just don't trust the airline with my regulator....It's my lifeline when diving so I keep it with me......:D

I have always packed my dive equipment in my luggage - locked. My carry on is so full of underwater camera equipment for my wife and myself that I couldn't possibly fit anything more into it.

With our camera equipment, batteries, laptop, and electrical cords and connections, strobe, etc., I have weighed my carry on at 40 lbs. That's a lot packed into a 22" bag.

We use a 30" rolling duffle bag that has all of our water gear in it. The last thing to go in is my BC and regulator. I inflate the BC as much a possible, to act as a cushion, then put my regulator bag inside it.

So far, so good!!!!

Just wondering if any one has had problems taking your regs and dive computer on board instead of checking them through? Would like to take away the chance of them getting damaged.

Thanks

Chad

I'd never check my critical dive gear (BC/regs/computer). In fact, the only thing I check are my fins because they won't fit in my carry-on bag.

I always carry-on my "essential" dive equipement, mask (took me a year to find the perfect fitting one), computer, regulator, and check the equipment easily replaced if lost or delayed, wet suit, fins, boots, BC, etc. I leave my knife at home as some places are starting to ban these and gloves (I have snips I bring if I think there's an entanglement possiblity). As another poster pointed out, better to have the equipment that you need than trust someone elses.

Randall

Archived