Norovirus questions

bubiesmom

I have read several posts about experiences with norovirus. Is there a medication that one can take as a preventative or is only treatable once you get it? I would be willing to buy medication just in case. (I know it is not related to motion sickness, but my kids have never cruised...so I have no idea...norovirus, motion sickness...who knows????????????????):confused:

noro is a virus..spread between people. on the ship you want to use the hand sanitizers.. they are at the doors to the dining areas and as you re-enter the ship from the ports. just like anywhere, you should wash your hands ALOT. the ships do everything they can to handle it, but since they don't cause it...the passenagers (sometimes) have to deal with it.

for motion sickness, if the kids don't get sick on long car rides..they should be fine. but you would need to take them to a doctor to see what would be best for their ages. ginger pills help, peppermint candies all are natures aid for bad stomachs. i hear the sea bands help. (wrist bands)

BTW..a cruise ship is not the only place for noro..anywhere there are people there is the virus.

I did have the Noro virus on the Dawn in March and went on a family vacation to Lake Tahoe in June...in June 10 out of 13 of us had the norovirus. I was one of the more fortunate or immune in June. Hand washing is the main prevention..once is starts, contact the ship's doctor and they will help you treat it. I carry pepto, immodium, tylenol and tums in case. I bring Clorex wipes to sanitize our bathrooms (the main place to contract the virus) On the other hand, I have sailed at least 6 times and only saw the virus on board once...and it was me. It is fast spreading and only lasts about 48 hours. A little precaution and a lot of hand washing...you will be fine.

There are no preventive medications tp take to avoid noro-virus, only preventive measures, most of which have already been outlined.

I recently read an article regarding germs in hotel rooms. I had always been of the thought that germs only had a short life span on hard surfaces and never worried about it. The study showed that germs live and thrive for many hours after an infected guest checks out. So, you might want to pack along a can of Lysol to kill germs in your cabin, paying close attention to things like the phone and remote control.

Unfortunately, once you leave your cabin, germs will be lurking everywhere. Not to worry, use common sense, don't touch surfaces and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth, wash your hands often. I keep a few tissues in my bag for opening doors when there are no towels to use in a public restroom (common onboard ships).

I pack along Immodium or Pepto Bismol to help with tummy aches, but with a virus, you really want to flush it out, so stopping the big D may not be in your best interest. Drink a lot of fluids if you do get ill.

One thing the pediatrican told me many years ago when my daughter caught a stomach virus that I did not realize-with vomiting-once you stop vomiting-no fluids for 2 hours. Then after that, you try like half a ounce of gingerale, then if that stays down in 30 minutes another half a ounce-and if that stays down then an ounce after 30 minutes until gradually you have built up to drink about 4 ounces every 30 minutes. Then you can have a small piece of bananna or saltine crackers-and nothing but this type of bland food for 24 hours. After 24 hours you can eat a "normal" diet but still stay away from dairy products for another 36 hours.

Now ofcourse when it is diahrrea only, you can have more fluids and should, so you don't get dehydrated but stick to gingerale and electrolite type drinks like gatorade. Gatorade has salts and sugars in it which is the right balance for your body.

Another thing after vomiting, NEVER drink water. This will start the cycle again-whereas asmall amoundt of gingerale will settle your stomach and help you get better as long as you have waited 2 hours.

Anyway- once I learned the correct way of treating stomach viruses I have been sucessful in getting us well within 24 hours. Before I knew this though I could be sick for several days-not realizing I was prolonging it by taking too much fluid too early. (in the case of vomiting) The time I took my daughter to the doctor she had been throwing up for 3 days-thank goodness she did not end up in the hospital deydrated because of my ignorance!

One thing the pediatrican told me many years ago when my daughter caught a stomach virus that I did not realize-with vomiting-once you stop vomiting-no fluids for 2 hours. Then after that, you try like half a ounce of gingerale, then if that stays down in 30 minutes another half a ounce-and if that stays down then an ounce after 30 minutes until gradually you have built up to drink about 4 ounces every 30 minutes. Then you can have a small piece of bananna or saltine crackers-and nothing but this type of bland food for 24 hours. After 24 hours you can eat a "normal" diet but still stay away from dairy products for another 36 hours.

Now ofcourse when it is diahrrea only, you can have more fluids and should, so you don't get dehydrated but stick to gingerale and electrolite type drinks like gatorade. Gatorade has salts and sugars in it which is the right balance for your body.

Another thing after vomiting, NEVER drink water. This will start the cycle again-whereas asmall amoundt of gingerale will settle your stomach and help you get better as long as you have waited 2 hours.

Anyway- once I learned the correct way of treating stomach viruses I have been sucessful in getting us well within 24 hours. Before I knew this though I could be sick for several days-not realizing I was prolonging it by taking too much fluid too early. (in the case of vomiting) The time I took my daughter to the doctor she had been throwing up for 3 days-thank goodness she did not end up in the hospital deydrated because of my ignorance!

Thank you SO much for telling us that. I had no idea either. When my DH was sick, he drank water, no wonder he was not getting better.

I will make sure to remember this:)

My Dr. gave me some samples of meds. to take with me for the virus. I am to take them at first sign of the flu virus. She said they will help within 24 hours of taking them.

Also about drinking the ginger ale, which that is the best to drink, it even helps when you have a tummy ache. But.. some have a difficult time with the carbination so the Dr. said to take two glasses, put small amount in and transfere from glass to glass to get carbination out! On an empty stomach sometimes it is difficult to handle the fizz! But what they have said in post here are right, start out in small amounts and wait 2 hours and start again! Stay away from water, gateraide is probably the best. Please remember, even though you use the sanitizer, if you touch the spoons and servers in the buffet line you can still come in contact with the germs. I use a napkin to touch all the spoons.

Goodluck

That's actually very good advice. We give the same advice to our pediatric patients, however, we generally tell them to sip one ounce at a time (when parents ask how much is an ounce, I tell them to think of a shot glass...they can usually relate to that!). Anyway, if they hold that down for 20-30 minutes, take another ounce. For some reason, most parents are more concerned that their children will die from starvation because they won't eat. Not eating is the best thing for them, but try to convince a parent of that. I tell them all the time not to worry about the food; if they try to feed them while they are vomiting, it will just cause an already overly sensitive stomach to work harder to digest it and they'll continue to vomit. We don't worry about them losing weight during the 24-48 hours that a stomach virus lasts; we worry about dehydration.

That's actually very good advice. We give the same advice to our pediatric patients, however, we generally tell them to sip one ounce at a time (when parents ask how much is an ounce, I tell them to think of a shot glass...they can usually relate to that!). Anyway, if they hold that down for 20-30 minutes, take another ounce. For some reason, most parents are more concerned that their children will die from starvation because they won't eat. Not eating is the best thing for them, but try to convince a parent of that. I tell them all the time not to worry about the food; if they try to feed them while they are vomiting, it will just cause an already overly sensitive stomach to work harder to digest it and they'll continue to vomit. We don't worry about them losing weight during the 24-48 hours that a stomach virus lasts; we worry about dehydration.

Well I was going back from what I was told 21 years ago. My daughter was 14 months old at the time. I just remember him saying not to give her anything for 2 hours after she vomited and then start with tiny amounts and gradually give her more if she kept that down. He may have said an ounce.

The worst thing I remembered that time is how terrible I felt for doing the wrong thing. she was so underweight already that I also worried about her not eating but the Dr. comvinced me she would actually lose more weight and could become deydrated if I fed her too early or gave her fluids before she could handle it.

all I know over the years, we have picked up these viruses I suppose half a dozen times and we were always better within 24 hours by following the instruction he had given me.

I have never picked up a stomach virus on a cruise ship though.

At the drug store they have these small travel size packs of hand wipes (about the size of the kleenez travel packs) These are good to wipe your hands or surfaces as you come in contact with them.

I've been very lucky with 34 cruises and no Noro Virus. Just remember to wash those hands thoroughly. Sing happy birthday to yourself, that's how long to wash and rinse them, then don't touch surfaces and then touch your face, mouth or eyes.

At the drug store they have these small travel size packs of hand wipes (about the size of the kleenez travel packs) These are good to wipe your hands or surfaces as you come in contact with them.

I've been very lucky with 34 cruises and no Noro Virus. Just remember to wash those hands thoroughly. Sing happy birthday to yourself, that's how long to wash and rinse them, then don't touch surfaces and then touch your face, mouth or eyes.

Ever since I read the Happy Birthday technique I have started using it - esp. since I realized that the Noro Virus can be found anywhere and I am prone to catching viruses easily. But you should see the looks I get when I start singing quietly to myself!

some people I know avoid the buffet because of potential health problems, I do not.

Last cruise I watched a man reach into the assorted "finger" sandwiches, lift up the top layer of bread, check out the contents and then decide he didn't want the food that HE HAD JUST PUT HIS HAND ALL OVER. He put the bread back on the sandwhich and walked away. I really wanted to tell him what I thought of that and now, really wish I had......damn the consequences. I grabbed the tongs, took the contaminated food off the buffet and tossed it.

There is only so much we can do to protect ourselves so be sure to remember what you touched last and wash your hands.

some people I know avoid the buffet because of potential health problems, I do not.

Last cruise I watched a man reach into the assorted "finger" sandwiches, lift up the top layer of bread, check out the contents and then decide he didn't want the food that HE HAD JUST PUT HIS HAND ALL OVER. He put the bread back on the sandwhich and walked away. I really wanted to tell him what I thought of that and now, really wish I had......damn the consequences. I grabbed the tongs, took the contaminated food off the buffet and tossed it.

There is only so much we can do to protect ourselves so be sure to remember what you touched last and wash your hands.

Good for you! I would have told this idiot to take the food he just touched!

Archived