Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins (Ecstasy)

bailiesmom

My husband and I are crusing for the first time January 8th out of Galveston on the Ecstasy. Our first stop is Progresso, Carnival has an excursion for the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins - it is 7 hours - our whole time in port.

Has anyone done this excursion? How was it? What if we are late in port and don't have all day or we are late getting back to the ship, does the ship wait since you booked a Carnival excursion?

Also, what is good to do in Cozumel? I just want to do a little shopping and stay on the beach. Anyone know how the weather is in January?

One more question - we are in room U104 I understand this is a cat 12, does anyone have any pictures of them?

Thanks!

Chichen Itza is well worth the time. It's now one of the new 7 Wonders of the World. Amazing place and more of it is being uncovered all the time. If you're on a Carnival tour, they normally wait for you if the tour is late.

My favorite things to do in Cozumel are visit Paradise Beach, shop at Los Cinco Soles and spend some time in Carlos N' Charlies.

I have traveled from cancun to Chichen in a rental car....I was told it was a 2 hour drive so 2 hours there and 2 hours back 2 to sight see. I left my hotel room promptly at 8 am....I did not return untill after 8pm. SO...my 6 hour trip turned into 12.

I guess what i am saying is YOU REALLY HAVE TO WANT TO SEE THESE RUINS! 7 hours on any excursion is TOOOO LONG. The busses may be good but the ride is only as good as the road.

Yes Carnival is supposed to wait for you to return from any booked carnival excursion.

NO cat 12 here...try google...images carnival cat12

have a great cruise.

Ps the ruins are cool. And beaches and food in cozy are great!

I did the Chichen Itza tour in April. It is something awsome to see and am glad I went. But you asked a valid question, we were an hour late getting into port. Cut an hour off the tour. Took about 2 1/2 hours to get there with a little shopping and potty break at the place they picked up the sack lunches. Waited an extra 10 minutes on some passengers who thought the be back in 20 minutes request didn't apply to them. Anyway to make a long story short we only had an hour and 15 minutes at the ruins. Nowhere near enough time to see much or do any exploring. Back on the bus for a 2hr ride back to port. The busses are new and nice very comfortable. If we had the full 2 1/2 hours at the ruins it would have been well worth the travel time. Since there isn't much else to do in Progresso I say go for it.

Although Chichen Itza if great, consider Uxmal. Prettier and more impressive and a little less bus time. Also not as crowded. I think this excursion includes a lunch. (not a box lunch) I've been to Uxmal twice and Chichen Itza once but driving.

My husband and I went on the Chichen Itza tour with Carnival on May 2006. I highly recommend it as according to my hours of research, Chichen Itza is a must see in the Progresso area. (Also Uxmal, however Chicken Itza happens to be more known and visited).

When we got off the boat, we immediately found the tour waiting for us a the end of the pier (they had signs that read Chichen Itza/Carnival). The bus ride was about 2hrs+ each way, however the buses are air conditioned and comfy. Our guide was very entertaining and informative en route. We did stop at a small market style store on our way to Chichen Itza to buy souvenirs.

At Chichen Itza, our guide took us to look at the Pyramid of Kukulkar, Temple of the Jaguars, Platform of Skulls and the Ball Court. We then had about 15-20 minutes to walk around by ourselves and to shop.

On the way back, we had a bag lunch (sandwich w/chips and water). We returned on time to the pier and had about 10 minutes to do more shopping at the pier before it was time to board. I was very pleased with this excursion. Although the cost is a bit high per person, I am glad that we did not go on our own since we would have to consider the cost of renting a car, insurance for peace of mind, paying tolls on the road and the entrance cost plus the biggest concern of not getting back in time.

At Cozumel we rented a car and drove to Dzul Ha for snorkeling. No tour, just on our own. The cost to rent snorkeling gear was $10 per person. It was a learning experience as neither my husband or myself had ever snorkeled before but it was a blast. Next time I would not rent a car in Cozumel as the boat is not there long enough to make renting a car worth it. We were originally supposed to be in Cozumel from around 10AM-9PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bailiesmom! My hubby and I are also taking our first cruise Jan 8th on the Ecstasy out of Galveston. My mother has cruised several times with Carnival, and this time we're joining her and are dragging along friends of ours from TN. We originally had 3 cat 6 ov rooms (all together) on the Upper Deck, but our agent called 2 weeks ago and said we'd been given upgrades to the cat 12 penthouse suites, still on the Upper Deck. Naturally, we're all thrilled with this news! We've got rms 103, 107, 111.....just on the other side of the ship from you. You can go to the stateroom link for the Ecstasy and it will show you a generic photo of a cat 12 penthouse suite, but our agent said it's fairly accurate.

We haven't made any excursion plans for Progresso, yet. Not sure we will...at least not ahead of time. This being our first trip, we thought about just renting a jeep or some scooters and doing our own tour of the area. That way we can stop and swim or explore on our own time as we like. But we still want to see one of the ruins that way, just not sure which one it'll be.

See ya'll on board!

Hi there,

My husband and I were on the Glory in May 2005 and took the Chichen Itza trip throught the ship. While it was an all day trip, we had a small amount of time in port to shop on the way back to the ship. With high winds we were stuck in that port then until after midnight and were 9 hours late getting back on the last day. We got an extra day on the ship, but I felt bad for the people waiting to board.

I loved the trip to Chichen Itza. We were able to climb to the top, since they had not closed it yet. It was a long drive to the ruins and after our tour guide gave us a little talk, he encouraged us to sleep some of the way. We got a boxed lunch to eat on the way home as well as a couple of beers to drink on the bus. I was so impressed with these ruins I would like to go back. We are stopping in Progresso on our next cruise on NCL dream.....(1-6-07) and my neice was saying she wanted to see this since she studied it in school. We shall see what the majority decides.

Be prepared for native people to be selling stuff to you. They will barter and I found them to be considerate if you said no thanks they left you alone. These are very poor people and I liked buying their hand made crafts. I took several pictures of the kids too..they were very cute. I know some people get aggravated with the selling, but hey, this is their country and they need to make a living too. The trip is not nearly long enough to see all of the ruins that are there, but it is a great trip. have fun!!! Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

We are also going to be on the Ecstasy out of Galveston on Jan 8. We also have a cat. 12 suite on the upper deck, but I don't remember the room number offhand. We haven't decided on our Progreso excursion yet either. It will be our first time there, but our 4th time to Cozumel. We are planning on going to Xcaret again for that excursion. There was so much we didn't get to do the first time. I would recommend it as a great excursion - they have an underground river you can float, beach area, snorkeling, dolphin encounter ( for an additional charge ), bars, beachside hammocks, great restraunts, an aquarium, and lots of other neat stuff. On the down side, you don't actually go to Cozumel-you take a water taxi to the mainland, and may not have time for much shopping in Cozumel. If weather is typical of what we've seen in Jan. before, it will hot. See you on the Ecstasy.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife, Mother in Law and three (of the six) kids went to Cozumel and Progreso on the Dec. 16th sailing out of Galveston on Ecstasy. If you want to shop, just walk off the ship and go for it. There's a lot of selection, but the "garden variety" sovenirs for folks back home are best bought at the port in Progreso. (cheaper) If you want to go to the beach, do it in Cozumel. Take a taxi or pay for a Carnival shore excursion. (we prefer the latter for many reasons)

We are staunch Carnival fans. Ecstasy was just outstanding. (say Hi to the Romanian bartender 'Romeo' out by the pool. tell him the 50 ish gunsmith from Texas named Jerry says H'lo)

If you MUST get off the ship in Progreso, by all means do an excursion. We did not like the beach or the water. (we are Cozumel spoiled brats) Water is murky, there are a good number of dogs laying around the beach and not much in the way of "amenities". Had I some fishing stuff with me, all would have been peachy. Lol.

Details- If you are walking the strip in Cozumel,,,shopping, you will NOT get to just walk out to the beach. Not allowed. As far as we can tell, you have to take a cab or an excursion as I said before to get to public beaches. If you want some real "down to earth" Mexico experience, by all means, get off at Progreso. Once you get used to the smell (lolol) when you get off the bus, it is okay. :eek: The vendors ARE polite. If you say no, they will respect you. They will haggle and do so pleasantly. I would NOT go rambling around and off the beaten path. I speak enough spanish to stay out of trouble and am a moderately trained (remember now, I am 50) ex Marine. I would STILL NOT get off the trail unless you are a seasoned Mexico traveller.

My personal take on the Cozumel-progreso itinerary ? Go to the beach in Cozumel via taxi as soon as you get off the ship there. Swim, lay out, then go have lunch on Ecstasy. Walk out for a two-three hour shopping spree then hit the gangway for a fun evening. The shows between Cozumel and Progreso are the best on the cruise, IMHO.

Sorry to be so long winded. Especially on my first post here.

Gee. What a different impression I had. After two port calls to Progreso on Celebrity, I've been back to the area (Merida) for three land trips. Can't wait to book #4. I guess we all see/want different things when traveling abroad. Did you research your port call to Progreso for options?

Here's a great resource for future reference: http://www.yucatantoday.com

Just a note on Progresso. We rented a house for a month in the Progresso area in Jan 2005. It was a very friendly little city and I never felt I had to be any more cautious there then I would in any city. Although you have to look out for all of those shifty Canadians that make it their winter home(LOL). I drove into town quite often on my own. There's a very intersting "fresh market" about 4 or 5 blocks down the street from where the pier ends. Great photo opportunities! Just smile, point at your camera and point at who or what you would like to take a picture of and they'll smile and nod. If possible buy something from them they'll appreciate it. If you go into Merida there is a beautiful hacienda about half way there called Xcanatun. Well marked off the main road from Progresso to Merida. Stop and have luch. They have great food and the grounds are beautiful.

On Cozumel consider going to the east side of the island. The coast is almost completely undeveloped but there are nice little bars every few miles to stop and enjoy the view with a drink and something to eat. Some of these areas have rough surf so ask at the bar if it's safe. The Naked Iguana had a nice sheltered area to swim. I haven't been there since the hurricane so ask before going. I'm not sure if they survived.

The key to enjoying Mexico is to relax! Service is slow, you won't get a check until you ask and you have to enjoy things the way they are and not how you think they should be.

Have a great trip!

Carol

Carol. What a fine post. The Yucatan is a great destination. When those of us that have spent considerable time exploring the Yucatan have been so impressed and intriguied (sp?) with the people, history and overall enjoyment of the area, does it make you wonder about the expectations or attitudes brought ashore by a very, very few posters? To those posting on this particular thread, this question is not directed at or about you.

A month in the area is so enticing. I had hoped to spend a couple of weeks in Merida during Carnivale in Feb, but just not in the cards this time.

By the way, the question of presenting the check in a restaurant. It is considered bad manners to present the bill before being asked; suggesting that staff wishes you would pay and leave.

Hdawson,

I guess it shows that I'm pretty biased! My husband and I started traveling together with our first trip to Cozumel about 15 years ago. For us it was a very affordable getaway. Over the years we've been lucky enough to travel quite a bit but we still have a soft spot for the area. I think the people there are so warm and helpful that I've always felt at home there. We have had so many wonderful experiences there I just can't help myself from sharing these things with others. I know it can be quite a shock going from the splendor of a cruise ship to some of the humble places in Mexico. I just want people to give it a chance and really enjoy the place for what it is. Even if it is only for a day.

Have you gotten a chance to go to Celstun (sp?)? If not it is another day trip or even better overnight trip I would recommend.

Carol

• 10 months later...
I love Chichen Itza! It's a fantastic place to visit. I have a review with a ton of photos online here -

http://www.lisashea.com/lisastrips/cancun04/tue/index.html

We took a bus from Cancun when we went to see it.

I wish I could find a way to edit that previous post - the location of the URL has moved, so that link above no longer works. The photos are now here -

http://www.lisashea.com/lisastrips/yr2004/cancun/

hi bailesmom, I just got back from the same cruise a week and a half ago (on Ecstasy too). I was in a group of 5 and we did the chichen itza tour. It was nice, but you spend 5 hours driving. The tickets say the tour starts at 7am, but we didn't get out there until 7:30am and there was still a line. What happens is, once you get off the ship, the tour guides will hold signs and direct you to the waiting line for the tours. Since chichen itza was the most popular, the wait was probably 15 min before we got on one of their many charter buses to the ruins. Chichen Itza was wonderful, but as of last yr we are no longer allowed to climb them. We spent 2 hrs at the ruins and then came back. I wish we had a longer time. I would suggest to go off and explore on your own unless you really want to hear what the guide has to say because you may not see everything.

For Cozumel, as soon as you get to the end of the pier, shops are waiting for you and so are excursion people. We were pretty spontaneous in Cozumel since it is a more touristy city, and it paid off. We were offered a snorkeling excursion at about $20 cheaper than if we bought it on the ship. Since it only lasted 2.5hrs, we had about 5.5hrs to shop and explore. The ship offers free coupons in cozumel if you attend certain meetings, but be willing to walk around cozumel for at least 20 min before you get the free tanzanite earrings (we learned the hard way)

Oh I also should mention that we roomed U203. I'm not sure what cat 12 is, but if you have an interior room it looks the same on every floor. Some of our friends had a window room on the same deck, but said it wasn't worth the extra money since you spend most of the time outside of the room. The rooms all look alike (except for bunk bed rooms) and your room steward can situate the beds however you want

Also, what is good to do in Cozumel? I just want to do a little shopping and stay on the beach. Anyone know how the weather is in January?

Thanks!

Nachi Cocum was an awesome visit in Cozumel. Beautiful beach, great food and drinks and excellent service. We did the Uxmal ruins and we all thought it was amazing. A little closer than Chitzen Itza.

47b7cf31b3127ccebfc9caa4ae3700000030108QcNWbRo1b8.jpg.97408cd6f569a4ab7acc76611565c5fe.jpg

47b7cf30b3127ccebff4615b57c200000030108QcNWbRo1b8.jpg.81f6594ddbd8ee1ea52ead9e9aa9a47b.jpg

47b7cf30b3127ccebff47e21961f00000030108QcNWbRo1b8.jpg.b6cf788103f8a3b661d432b1f41c1a34.jpg

• 2 years later...

We are leaving out of Galveston a week from today. We are planning on renting a car as my spouse gets motion sick if he is not driving, and heading to Chichen Itza on our day in Progreso. One of the reviews says that there were people offering vans for rent for $75 a day. Does anyone else remember seeing someone right off the ship offering vehicles for rent? I have tried to call to reserve a car, but with no luck...Thanks for anything you can remember.

• 4 weeks later...
It was my understanding that there are no car rental agencys in Progreso.

There is one shown on the Yucatan Today map. Whether or not it exists?

I have seen a booth set up for car rentals occasionally, but they may well be bringing cars in from another location and/or shuttling you to the car location.

My husband and I are crusing for the first time January 8th out of Galveston on the Ecstasy. Our first stop is Progresso, Carnival has an excursion for the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins - it is 7 hours - our whole time in port.

Has anyone done this excursion? How was it? What if we are late in port and don't have all day or we are late getting back to the ship, does the ship wait since you booked a Carnival excursion?

One more question - we are in room U104 I understand this is a cat 12, does anyone have any pictures of them?

Thanks!

Just back from Progreso on Carnival Triumph and did the Carnival Chichen Itza (EatsHa) tour. Lots of pictures here:

Sept 8, 2010 - Progreso - 7am - 4pm

Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4 Page5

Just back from Progreso on Carnival Triumph and did the Carnival Chichen Itza (EatsHa) tour. Lots of pictures here:

Sept 8, 2010 - Progreso - 7am - 4pm

Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4 Page5

I have heard a lot of comments about how crowded Chichen Itza is compared to Uxmal, but from your photos it did not look that crowded. We were there about 6 years ago and it looked about the same as then (except we were allowed to climb then). Also, the venders that I have heard so much negative about did not seem to be overly present.

Sarg, what's your comments comparing Chichen to Uxmal?

Archived