Question on motion sickness...

far733

Wow!!! Can seasickness really kill you???:rolleyes: I am pretty sure you will be okay with the SeaBands though cuz I don't really see them killing you. :D But I could be wrong cuz I'm not a doctor. :eek: :o

I am talking about the medications, and yes, some people can react to seasickness medications in such a way as to put their health in danger.

What to know what worked on Mythbusters - ask away. Want medical advise - ask a MD.

SeaBands are not medication.

I am talking about the medications, and yes, some people can react to seasickness medications in such a way as to put their health in danger.

What to know what worked on Mythbusters - ask away. Want medical advise - ask a MD.

SeaBands are not medication.

I just thought that you were getting a bit upset about a question that is asked here all the time. Also this a question that is asked onboard by fellow cruisers all the time. Besides aren't we talking mainly about over the counter medicines??

By the way I know that SeaBands are not medication as I said I use them and my office also sells them. :D

I also don't think it's right for you to tell the OP what and what not to ask on this board.

I just thought that you were getting a bit upset about a question that is asked here all the time. Also this a question that is asked onboard by fellow cruisers all the time. Besides aren't we talking mainly about over the counter medicines??

By the way I know that SeaBands are not medication as I said I use them and my office also sells them. :D

I also don't think it's right for you to tell the OP what and what not to ask on this board.

Questions requiring specialized knowledge should be asked only to those people who have that specialized knowledge. Ever hear of practicing medicine without a license? Anyone who gives medical advise beyond simple first aid could (note I said could - not will or would) find that the AMA is suddenly interested in their medical training.

Just because the question is asked all the time does not make it a proper question. Medical questions should be directly to a qualified doctor, not a bunch of lay people.

Who knows what kind of bad advice could end up causing serious injury. This is a board about cruising. Save the medical question for a qualified MD.

My fiance and I are cruising for our honeymoon on the Radiance in January with a Western Caribbean itinerary. Neither one of us have been on a cruise before and we have a balcony room on the back of the ship. I don't get motion sickness, but she does. How bad will the motion sickness be there and what is the best medication for her to take? I have heard about dramamine and bonine. Which one is better and are there any other types of medication out there for her? What are the side effects of these meds? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

These are the original questions. This is a request for medical advise. These questions should be directed to a qualified doctor only.

I am taking my first cruise on 12/23/06. I have ourchased both the over the counter medicae and my Doctor prescribed the behind the ear patches..... Which are better?????? I am not sure if I will even have a problem, but wanted to avoid a trip to the Ship Doctor. Anything else I need? What happens when you drink with these medicines???

This was the post I responded to when I suggested that since a doctor was already involved, that perhaps it would be better to direct addional questions regarding what the doctor prescribed to the doctor, not a bunch of lay people who do not have the medical training to answer a question about how these drugs interact with alcohol, or to compare one drug to another.

I get motion sickness and have tried everything.:(

The patch worked great for the first 10 cruises and then I started to get ill effects after removing it. I mean I was out flat on my back for 3 days.

Then I tried Dramamine and it made me very very drowsy....:(

Next was the sea bands....no help there...

Bonine next and I swear by it but in really rough seas it didn't help much so I took two and slept through it..the second one is what made me so drowsy

Last October rough weather was predicted so I decided to try the patch again but only left it on for the first two days.. then I went to the Bonine and no ill effects with the patch and the Bonine worked great...:)

Next cruise I will use the Bonine again unless extremely rough weather is predicted...

So as you can see even one person can have different outcomes with different remedies...and I forgot I did try the ginger also but it seems to make my stomach upset...I also bring ginger altoids

I get motion sickness very easily. My vote, too, is for Bonine. We had a stateroom in the bow (which is supposed to be the worst) and had no problem. Less drowsy than Dramamine and I did drink with no problems, although not excessively. Wristbands do work very well but I find they can be very annoying if worn for long periods. Take both with you and see what works. The good thing about Bonine is that you can take it even after you start to feel a bit queasy and it will still work.

I took it with water but I am sure I did not drink enough of it since I'm not a big water drinker..

Do you think that could have caused the stomach disturbance?

I don't know. I know when I took the first one without water it was a big mistake. After that I always took some water, but found that I did not need that much water - just some.

However, I have no idea how your body reacts. If you have a doctor, ask him or her.

Which Doctor shall I ask??? My neurologist, opthalmologist. GP, Gyno, or Dentist. I am obvioulsy looking for practical advice from people who have cruised. I can read the packages of medicine. Very often the tips you receive from people that have used the medicine are just as good as those you receive from the people prescribing them. Especially if they have not cruised. ( My General Practitioner has never cruised)

Why respond at all if you are going to be so SNIDE?????? :confused:

The simple reason people are snide is because the question has been asked about 22 thousand times in the recent past. Now with that aside, I would reccommend looking for answers on the various boards that are available from thr main page.

This is what I do because I also do not like the way some people answer basic questions.

I don't know it this really works but when we were on the NOS a few months ago I was talking to a crew member who told me the best thing for motion sickness is a treatment that they have in most spas on board. It seems the ships now have accupuncturist (sp?) on board and they can insert a tiny piece of rice into your earlobe (supposely doesn't hurt at all). Then every time you feel queezy you just touch the rice for a few seconds and you feel better. Think it works along the same lines as the sea bands.

If any one has used this method I would love to hear if it actually works and how expensive is it.

I don't know it this really works but when we were on the NOS a few months ago I was talking to a crew member who told me the best thing for motion sickness is a treatment that they have in most spas on board. It seems the ships now have accupuncturist (sp?) on board and they can insert a tiny piece of rice into your earlobe (supposely doesn't hurt at all). Then every time you feel queezy you just touch the rice for a few seconds and you feel better. Think it works along the same lines as the sea bands.

If any one has used this method I would love to hear if it actually works and how expensive is it.

After you spoke to this crew member, did you check to see if one of your legs had suddenly become longer than the other leg?

Archived