10x

Joby

Hi 10X, this is a bit off subjuect for the "SCUBA and snorkeling" topic.

I just read on the "Barbados Silver Moon" thread that you will be on the cat. 1/27/07. We will miss you by 1 day! We'll be on Silver Moon I on 1/28/07.

Too bad, maybe you could have personally "coached" me on my camera use:)

Joby,

Sorry we'll be missing you. We're really looking forward to this. The Silver Moon is great.

You might have trouble seeing your camera screen, when snorkeling with the turtles, if the sun is bright. If that's the case, just point the camera in the right direction and shoot. I never got a single good photo doing this, but both my wife and my friend got 2-3 good ones.

We particularly like this one, shot by my wife: http://www.sunfield.smugmug.com/gallery/1342835/1/63343638

The photo had to be enhanced on the computer to see what was there, otherwise you could barely see the turtle.

On the wrecks, don't hesitate to dive down a little for some shots because there are some neat fish there that won't come anywhere near the surface for you.

Please post some pictures, I'd like to see how you did.

Denny

10X, thanks for the extra tips. Shooting blindly may just give me better shots anyway:)

We love the turtles in Cozumel. Our last dive there 1 1/2 years ago was at Palancar Caves, we saw 6 turtles. A record for us. Our daughter LOVES the turtles! Hopefully I can at least get a decent shot of them while in Barbados if not elsewhere for her.

We love the turtles in Cozumel. Our last dive there 1 1/2 years ago was at Palancar Caves, we saw 6 turtles. A record for us. Our daughter LOVES the turtles! Hopefully I can at least get a decent shot of them while in Barbados if not elsewhere for her.

Pardon me for jumping in, but if you really want to see lots of turtles, you won't find a better place than Hawaii.

Pardon me for jumping in, but if you really want to see lots of turtles, you won't find a better place than Hawaii.

Agreed, Bruce. I have seen tons of turtles both diving, snorkeling, and just watching from shore. I have a picture of one poor fellow who had a hook and fishing line hanging from his mouth. I wish I could have done something for him.

I'd also like to be diving in Hawaii instead of the Caribbean but, unfortunately, I'm not.

The next time I can dive Hawaii will be 2008. We have booked a 31 night cruise from Sydney, Australia to San Francisco. We're planning about 2-3 weeks in Australia (my son's in-laws live there) before the cruise, so I'll get some diving in there (At least 3 days on the Great Barrier Reef). We then make 16 port stops on the way to SF, with three of them in Hawaii. Along the way I'm hoping to be able to dive New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands, and American Samoa, too.

BTW, no problem jumping in. You take some great photos and your advice to divers, snorkelers, and photographers has always been right on the money. You're a real asset to those who frequent this board.

Denny

BTW, no problem jumping in. You take some great photos and your advice to divers, snorkelers, and photographers has always been right on the money. You're a real asset to those who frequent this board.

Denny

Well, thank you Denny. Have a great time on that 2008 trip. I'm envious of all the places you'll have a chance to dive, especially Fiji.

Thanks for the turtle info guys! I showed our daughter your posts and we were both drooling at the thought of seeing turtles so easily and of the dive destinations you have planned!

Have fun and post lots of pictures so that those of us who can only dream can live vicariously through you:)

Hopefully, I won't embaress myself with the pictures I take this trip!

Bruce-r, jump in anytime. You have offered suggestions to me before and I appreciate your help. We have gone to Cozumel quite a few times and know the island relatively well. I usually always agree with the info/suggestions you post:)

nolaAlive,

Great little video. I've been experimenting with the video on my C5050 and I have installed a second memory card to store the data. Perhaps I'll have something to post when I get back in February.

Denny

Just wondering if you ever mess with your white bal. or do you just leave everything on auto and let a rip? I was reading on some other boards about this but it seems like a lot of messing around underwater. My only really experience is on some wrecks in lake michigan were you don't have to worry about colors at all.

Thanks

-Chad

Just wondering if you ever mess with your white bal. or do you just leave everything on auto and let a rip? I was reading on some other boards about this but it seems like a lot of messing around underwater. My only really experience is on some wrecks in lake michigan were you don't have to worry about colors at all.

Thanks

-Chad

I use the RAW file format when I shoot photos underwater and adjust the white balance later on my computer using Photoshop Elements. That takes away one thing I have to mess with during the dive. Of course, this probably won't help you if your camera only uses the JPEG file format. Some cameras have an Underwater setting, so go with that if your camera has it. Otherwise, I either leave it on auto or choose the "cloudy" setting as see what looks like.

Chad,

Where are you from? I also live in Michigan, about mid-way between Lansing and Grand Rapids.

I do the same thing that Bruce does in regards to white balance. However, you might try taking down a 4"x6" white slate and manually adjust your white balance while underwater. The slate should slide easily ito a BCD pocket, but if not, clip it to your BCD.

Denny

Thanks for the tip. Well I now live in Rockford IL but my family lives in Holland/Zeeland area, and I was in lansing for about 3 years before I moved for work. So I go back alot in the summer to dive on the wrecks which is why I started to dive in the first place. Always loved the history in wreck diving.

Archived