High tea on Galaxy?

Joby

I went to the high tea in the Ocean Liners restaurant while on the Constellation a year ago.

I wondered, since Galaxy does not have a specity restaurant, do they still hold a high tea?

I had never been to a high tea before the Constellation and I enjoyed it very much!

Please be advised that while I was on the Zenith in October, Celebrity was switching over from Bigelow Teas to Lipton Teas, and well, for a tea drinker...it's just not the same. Lipton Earl Grey just doesn't make it for me, and the Lipton Mint Tea is very weak and a blend of many assorted ingredients including chamomille, and mint is not even the first ingredient. As a tea drinker (I don't touch coffee), all I want is a good cup of tea, and well, Lipton is not it!

Enjoy high tea though - It's something everyone should do at least once. But like tuggers said, it's hard to leave the pool sometimes.

I'll have to agree with Nancy on this one. While I don't pretend to be the expert on tea that she is, I won't even use Lipton to make iced tea. Certainly wouldn't use it for hot tea!

I'm sure we have the almighty dollar to thank for this change. Maybe they'll save .0000005 cents per cup.:mad:

Thanks for the info on the High Tea. I don't know a thing about tea OR coffee. I do like tea, but don't even drink flavored coffee.

I really enjoyed the High Tea on Constellation. It was especially nice being held in Ocean Liners. We didn't dine in there, so it was my only chance to be seated in it.

The scones were delicious as I remember, actually everything was--tea included!

I'm expecting to get slammed for saying this but...X does not have a clue how to do "tea" properly whether you mean the "whole shebang" or even just making a pot of tea.

Every time (with 20 odd X cruise experiences to draw on) we laugh at how they serve everything at elegant tea in the wrong order for a start. They bring the little sandwiches first...(good!) then follow it with your teapot of water (fairly large) and one teabag to service it (not good!) Maybe after that you get your fancy cake off a tray held by the strolling waiters and after that you get the offer of a scone (and jam if they haven't run out) from the trolley , then they come round again with more sandwiches (as if you would go back to savoury after having had your sweetstuff !)

As regular tea drinkers (Brits) we often see other PAX aboard drinking their tea from their cup with the tea bag string / label hanging over the edge of the cup telling us the bag must still be in the cup!!!! A complete no -no sorry to say!

I usually have tea after dinner and have to ask for a separate saucer or something to put the used tea bag on ...the waiters never know you need something. However if they give a small pot of water instead of just filling your cup with hot water, the problem is solved of course.

I always put on my guest questionnaire to phone me if they want to know how to do "tea" properly but they have never asked me yet ..... it's a shame..they could do it so much better!

lucky white heather, no slamming from me! I wouldn't know proper from improper tea.

It would be very interesting to have a program on the ship that explained the proper way to partake at High Tea.

Maybe an idea for Celebrity????

Start with packet tea, not tea bags. Nothing fancy, you understand, just plain old 'generic tea'. The find a tea-pot. Metal or china, it doesn't matter: you're going to be pouring the stuff back out of it in a few minutes, for goodness' sake.

Add one tea-spoon-full of tea per person to the tea-pot. Then add one spoonful 'for the pot'. Have a look at the amount of tea leaves in the bottom of the pot: if it doesn't seem enough, add another spoon. Or two.

Then boil your water. Fine spring water will do, but there's nothing like good old London water (you know it's been drunk before!) or indeed any water where the local water company has thoughtfully added fluoride, chlorine, or any other of the numerous other additives that add so well to the delicate flavour of the beverage. Pour the boiling water onto the tea leaves in the tea pot. In fact, fill it up.

You can leave sufficient time to allow the flavour from the tea leaves to infuse naturally into the water, or you can whip the lid off the tea-pot and give the tea a good stir. If you can glimpse the bottom of the tea pot through the tea it's not strong enough, so keep stirring.

Next choose your drinking vessel. Good crockery (bone china from Stoke-on-Trent, for example) will do at a pinch, but best of all is a half-pint mug, preferably chipped and/or cracked.

Then pour the tea into it. If you like your tea chewy then don't bother with a tea-strainer, but if you prefer your drinks to be approaching 100% liquid, then use one.

At this point you have a cup or mug of 'black tea', which won't do at all. Pour in some milk - any old kind, skimmed, semi-skimmed or full fat, it doesn't matter. In fact, some people especially like the way the cream in full fat milk tens to curdle when dropped into the tea. Real connoisseurs use plastic milk: dried milk granules!

Even at this stage there is a slim chance that some vestige of authentic tea flavour will somehow still persist in the drink in front of you. This is to be avoided, so you kill it by adding sugar. Even more effective is to use saccarin sweetening tablets, which not only completely overwhelm the taste of the tea but adds its own unmistakable flavour.

Finally, lift to the lips, take a sip, and utter the word: "smashing!".

No-one else seem to make tea quite like this (I wonder why...), hence the eternal lament uttered by Brits as they return from their annual holidays in far-flung destinations: "you can't get a decent cup of tea anywhere!"

Just to join the high tea debate!

First of all what is served on X as high tea is in fact afternoon tea. This is where tea is served with tiny little sandwiches The Queen Mother we were told favoured cucumber.

This is followed by warm scones (biscuits as you call them) They can be plain or with fruit served with butter or cream and jam.

This is followed by fancy little cakes.

The tea served should be made in a teapot and first of all the teapot should be warmed by rinseing with hot water. Nowadays they almost always use teabags but loose tea and poured through a tea strainer is best. Served mid afternoon

Now!

High tea differs in that it is usually served as a meal at around 5-6pm This consists of a meal perhaps fish and chips ham salad steak chicken etc etc. The meal is served with tea and toast followed by the scones and ending with the cakes. This is very much a British tradition and when my children were young they loved to go out for high tea. Also served by people in their own homes.

Any more UK or Irish who can add any more to this?

On P&O or Cunard elegant high tea is served every day and not just once or twice on a cruise.

Enjoy!

Sue

Have to agree that the QM2 serves very nice "afternoon" tea every day not just as a once in a while event.

However if X is attempting to do it right... and normally they do it once per cruise for everyone aboard (if you want to participate) usually in the main dining room...you get the chance to try out the event. We are ELITE so we usually get 2 opportunities to attend "afternoon tea " .

We try to go to both just for the fun of it altho' one time recently it was not much fun at the "whole ship" afternoon tea....

We were placed at a table for 6 where 2 couples were already seated.

As they chatted together, we began to wonder if we were wearing our invisible clothes that day for none of them included us in their conversation as polite people would do automatically.Even as we ate through the sandwiches, scones, tea refills, fancy cakes etc etc with conversations flowing from us to the waiters as required, no one amongst them included us , but between themselves they could have talked for Britain.If they had explained they had never seen each other for years or something we could have made allowances!

They were English PAX and at first we thought maybe they mistakenly believed we did not speak any English , but when joining the table initially we did say "Good afternoon" and whilst responding to the waiters etc we spoke in their hearing, so concluded it was nothing to do with a language barrier.

We bathe every day, we didn't wear tartan or anything to betray where we hailed from, were dressed appropriately for the occasion and don't have a heavy accent that might be difficult for others to understand, and try to be polite whatever the circumstances, as well as watch enough TV to recognise many other accents even if they are not Scottish.

So we were completely dumbstruck when as we rose to leave ... they finally said " are you leaving? "

You can draw your own conclusions as to our answer!!

lucky white heather, I had a similar experience. My Mom and sister didn't want to go to the tea and I did. I went alone, which I am not very comfortable with anyway.

I was seated at a table with 2 other couples conversing, but not with me. They seemed to want to "one up" each other. They were talking about how the serving staff should do this or that properly and were putting down the server (who I thought was doing a very nice job) as well as servers in general.

After a few minutes of listening, I politely said that my Mother had been a server at very nice restaurants for over 50 years and raised my 2 sisters and me alone on a waitress salary. I told them that we were brought up to treat everyone equally, no matter their profession.

After that, both couples seemed to come down off of their pedestals and we all talked about things we had in common.

My Mom always says that she treated all of her customers with the same gracious service, no matter if they tipped 50 cents or $50. If someone gave her "guff", she would continue to serve them politely and very efficiently and cuss them under her breath!:)

Start with packet tea, not tea bags. Nothing fancy, you understand, just plain old 'generic tea'. The find a tea-pot. Metal or china, it doesn't matter: you're going to be pouring the stuff back out of it in a few minutes, for goodness' sake.

Add one tea-spoon-full of tea per person to the tea-pot. Then add one spoonful 'for the pot'. Have a look at the amount of tea leaves in the bottom of the pot: if it doesn't seem enough, add another spoon. Or two.

Then boil your water. Fine spring water will do, but there's nothing like good old London water (you know it's been drunk before!) or indeed any water where the local water company has thoughtfully added fluoride, chlorine, or any other of the numerous other additives that add so well to the delicate flavour of the beverage. Pour the boiling water onto the tea leaves in the tea pot. In fact, fill it up.

You can leave sufficient time to allow the flavour from the tea leaves to infuse naturally into the water, or you can whip the lid off the tea-pot and give the tea a good stir. If you can glimpse the bottom of the tea pot through the tea it's not strong enough, so keep stirring.

Next choose your drinking vessel. Good crockery (bone china from Stoke-on-Trent, for example) will do at a pinch, but best of all is a half-pint mug, preferably chipped and/or cracked.

Then pour the tea into it. If you like your tea chewy then don't bother with a tea-strainer, but if you prefer your drinks to be approaching 100% liquid, then use one.

At this point you have a cup or mug of 'black tea', which won't do at all. Pour in some milk - any old kind, skimmed, semi-skimmed or full fat, it doesn't matter. In fact, some people especially like the way the cream in full fat milk tens to curdle when dropped into the tea. Real connoisseurs use plastic milk: dried milk granules!

Even at this stage there is a slim chance that some vestige of authentic tea flavour will somehow still persist in the drink in front of you. This is to be avoided, so you kill it by adding sugar. Even more effective is to use saccarin sweetening tablets, which not only completely overwhelm the taste of the tea but adds its own unmistakable flavour.

Finally, lift to the lips, take a sip, and utter the word: "smashing!".

No-one else seem to make tea quite like this (I wonder why...), hence the eternal lament uttered by Brits as they return from their annual holidays in far-flung destinations: "you can't get a decent cup of tea anywhere!"

Please, please, please!!!!!!!! Can I cruise with you!!!!!!

You've made my day!

Cunard and Crystal know how to do high tea. And white glove service. Often a harpist playing. Unfortunately, the other lines make an effort but don't come close. I have been shuffled to a big table in the dining room or had to get my "pastries" or sandwiches at a buffet table.

next trip you take.... ..look for us at the afternoon tea event.... we'll have a long talk about how to make tea in general and swop other cruise stories in particular!

We love to be treated so nicely (even when they serve the sweet stuff in the wrong order) ...... we don't mind all that much...we go there to enjoy the experience of mixing together. Talking with others is the by- product to be enjoyed as much as the tea!

Hi lucky white heather, can you pack fairly quickly? We're on the Galaxy 11 night southern caribbean leaving 1/22/07:)

I would love to go to tea with you!

Sorry to say we have not scheduled the next cruise until March / ML /TA again! We love the sea days, the elegant teas, the PAX we get to know and hopefully stay friendly with, and the short flight home this trip usually involves .

Enjoy the Galaxy and if you are going near Curacao .... I loved the shopping experience there! Still packing the jackets I bought so cheaply there one trip and wear to lots of formal nights onboard.

Wishing you Bon Voyage when the time comes!!!!

Note that you are I think on the Millennium T/A in March. Ditto!

As someone who was born in Ireland defected to Scotland at age 11 and remained there until 8 years ago until I defected to England.

I am in Harrogate and I think the Queen of the afternoon tea brigade is here in with the famous Betty's.

I like to go to tea as most of the time I cruise alone and it is always good to meet other people. I have always found my fellow diners pleasant and good company. I think afternoon tea is one of the great pleasures in life.

By the way I always create havoc as I don't drink tea but in recent years it has not been so great a problem to have coffee.

Hope to see you on M. Are you signed up for the CC party?

Happy cruising to all of you who are off soon and to those on Galaxy say hello to her for me!

Sue

Note that you are I think on the Millennium T/A in March. Ditto!

As someone who was born in Ireland defected to Scotland at age 11 and remained there until 8 years ago until I defected to England.

I am in Harrogate and I think the Queen of the afternoon tea brigade is here in with the famous Betty's.

I like to go to tea as most of the time I cruise alone and it is always good to meet other people. I have always found my fellow diners pleasant and good company. I think afternoon tea is one of the great pleasures in life.

By the way I always create havoc as I don't drink tea but in recent years it has not been so great a problem to have coffee.

Hope to see you on M. Are you signed up for the CC party?

Happy cruising to all of you who are off soon and to those on Galaxy say hello to her for me!

Sue

Well Sue, we have just had to cancel our T/A on Constellation next year due to date changes for us that meant having to cancel that trip.

However we are fortunately booked on ML now...our regular ship for T/A's and almost all the other cruises we have taken with Celebrity.

I have not signed up yet for the CC party as this is currently still happening..my travel agent is finalising the flights as we speak hopefully.

Will now have to cancel being signed up for the Connie CC party as well.

All going to ( new ) plan we should be travelling with you to Mia/ FLL to stay overnight and join ship if you are on the basic X package.

BTW we have taken afternoon tea in Betty's in Harrogate (a few years ago ) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

lucky white heather, I'm sorry you can't join us! Thanks for the good wishes and bon voyage to you also.

I will go to the Galaxy High Tea and give you a toast (can one do that with tea:)).

I'm diving at Curacao while Mom lounges and sister snorkels, and we have a land tour scheduled also. We also hope to stop at a few shops along the way. Thanks for the info.

lucky white heather, I'm sorry you can't join us! Thanks for the good wishes and bon voyage to you also.

I will go to the Galaxy High Tea and give you a toast (can one do that with tea:)).

I'm diving at Curacao while Mom lounges and sister snorkels, and we have a land tour scheduled also. We also hope to stop at a few shops along the way. Thanks for the info.

Sorry Joby,

in Scotland tea isn't what you toast with..but there again you have to enjoy malt whisky or similar to do it right !!!! Slainge!

We're amongst the few who don't enjoy a glass of spirits so we would be very happy to accept a toast in tea....best type of course... got so fed up with the decaffineated variety on board last trip we moved over to Bigelows which I thought had a better flavour despite what real tea enthusiasts say about it...... it seems to us the cruiseline spoils all the fun and try to offer the sweet stuff "sugar free", the tea or coffee "decaffineated", the bread and butter " reduced calorie", the salad cream " Cholestorol free".......what's the point in spending cash on a cruise to have second best choices...... we live dangerously and have them all as they should be for the two weeks we're aboard and take a risk!

Enjoy your diving, stay safe and hope mum and sister get some bargains in the shops..... it's quite a spectacular entrance into Curacao by cruiseship....I missed it ...still in bed when we arrived but saw it on the way out!

lucky white heather, will do.

I'll tell you all about our trip when we return:)

Okey dokey...remember NOT to hold your pinkie out while holding your cup and drinking your tea..... it's a no-no!

Looking forward to hearing about your diving experiences.Hope the weather stays calm for you.

We enjoy afternoon tea in the dining room on cruises. It's unfortunate that Celebrity only did it once during our last cruise. I don't remember if it was scheduled more often on our first one. Princess ships had afternoon tea in the dining room on most afternoons--or at least they did when we last sailed on one. We'll find out in a few weeks whether they still do.

One of our biggest disappointments was on last year's Holland America cruise. The "Royal Dutch High Tea" turned out to be a buffet of sandwiches and sweets. I was expecting to be served like we've been on Celebrity and Princess.

When I worked in London, my boyfriend would meet me at 4 o'clock many afternoons and we'd have tea at Fortnum and Mason.

Archived