Samana-Whale watching-can't find anything!

maja

I've tried searching the internet and came up with nothing. The few companies listed didn't respond to my emails. I was under the impression whale watching was a top attraction in Samana. Why isn't there any info out there?

Has anyone done whale watching here?

We were in Samana only a few weeks ago and at that time there weren't any whales to speak of. If you could see the town of Samana you would realize why you aren't getting any feed back. There are hardly any shops and the market set up on grass was the only place where people were trying to sell their wares. It is very much a backwater at the moment and I think that the ships tours would take up most of the transport that is available.

We went to a lovely island only 10 minutes from where the ship tendered. We paid $10 each and the boats were only runabouts and were not really capable of taking passengers too far out to sea.

Jennie

thanks Aussie Gal...

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the ship puts something together, since we will be there in February, which is when the whales are there.

Besides doing the beach, do you have any suggestions? Do you happen to know the name of the resort that is opening? Maybe they offer a day pass. Our ship has 3 ports of call, the other 2 days we will be spending on a beach so I'm trying to find something a little different in Samana.

I've tried searching the internet and came up with nothing. The few companies listed didn't respond to my emails. I was under the impression whale watching was a top attraction in Samana. Why isn't there any info out there?

Has anyone done whale watching here?

Try a google for Caya Levantado,you may find info your looking for

Some of the ship's passengers hired a car and went for a drive around the coast. They said it was very pretty.

One of the tours offered was a trip into the jungle and to see a waterfall.

The island we went to was Caya Levantado and even though a brand new resort is opening there very soon, you do not need to use the resort as the beach we were at was perfect. Around the back of the beach were lots of restaurants serving fresh lobsters, fish etc.

For us, it was a perfect end to a perfect cruise of 34 days starting from Vancouver and ending in Tampa. In between we went through the Panama Canal and up the Amazon. Every day was sunny and warm and the sea was flat as flat. One could not have asked for anything better.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

dateteacher,

When we arrived onto the small wharf after being tendered from our ship, there were lots of locals showing photographs of the different tours you could do. We chose the trip to the island and went by a motor boat which took just over 10 minutes and cost us $10US p.p. The local who has the photos organized the trip with the motor boat owner and came with us.

We specified how long we wanted to stay on the island and the organizer stayed on the island with us so we had no worries about returning back to the ship in time. Of course we didn't pay him until we returned to the tender pick up.

Jennie

Just there last week.

Boat trip to Los Haitises National Park. Scenic, bird watching, caves, pictographs and carvings. Good option in Semana.

Bridge to Nowhere. Will require some effort. Interesting. Check how to get there in advance of the trip.

Whales - check in late January and February

For excursions and things to do in Samana, follow the link below:

http://www.colonialtours.com.do/tours/tours.asp?s_zona=3

Whale watching is available from January 15th to March 15th.

Any questions about the Dominican Republic, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Have you used the above tour company? Tell me more about your experience in Samana...please!

thanks

• 5 years later...

INFORMATION UPDATE AS OF 2012

There are a few local Licensed Tour Operators from the Town of Samana who owns many boats ( usually Motor Catamaran of 35 foot ) and will take you Whale Watching in Samana Bay.

These Tour Operators are :

1) Marivanna Tours

2) Cayenas del Mar

3) Moto Marina Club

All of them have Websites and are easy to find. Just google them. You can see their prices online and what's included in their tour.

And they all seem to have NO MINIMUM as number of guests.

They seem all to have a presence on the Tourism Website of GO SAMANA

http://gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com

The Whales in Samana are Beautiful, Enjoy Them While they are Here. :rolleyes:

( January 15 to March 15 - Every Year )

Archived