?type of bugspray(for sandfleas) to buy

mayrashke

What type is recommended?? What concentration of DEET??

We are 2 adults, 2 kids(9,15). I guess we either buy it in Miami before the cruise or get the non-aerosol type so it does not explode/something on the flight from Canada.

So if we go to a sandy beach we should just spray some on our lower legs/feet area??

Last time we went to Half Moon Bay and sat in some lounge chairs and went in snorkeling;we were not really lying on our towels on the sandy beach area.

Thank-you for your suggestions.

The one with the highest concentration of DEET you can find is the best (Back Woods, or something similar). Sand flies will bite you anywhere, so any part of your body that is exposed needs to be sprayed, although avoid your face.

There is a really effective natural spray called "Bug Off", so you can avoid the poisonous DEET. Check it out at:

http://www.adirondackcraft.com/XPH/sun101her/ProductInfo.htm

If you are in Montreal, I bought it at the pet shop on Dorchester at the corner of Greene.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

:D And so the debate begins.

When we were on West Bay beach at Infinity Bay for a cruise day stop, we weren't bothered at all. Other people say they were.

The higher the DEET, the more effective, obviously. On our 9 day land vacation there, we used a campers' spray...something similar to BackWoods. We began to use it only after 3 or 4 days of seeing folks with red spots on their ankles. We actually weren't bothered tho. Just thought we'd be more careful and would spray below our knees once before heading out for sand time. ( we saw a few people with bites on more than their legs)

Never know if the bugs will be around and how many. Depends on weather conditions and each person's attraction to them. Too, some resort areas spray and rake their beaches.

I DID see some putting baby oil on their ankles and apparently the bugs would get stuck there. But I wouldn't use that if you were going to be in the sun.

Indeed, the bug debate... I believe it all to be about body chemistry, not only what repellent works for you but also how much the bugs love you. Find a product that works for you and buy it by the case.

I have seen people use all manner of options..I gotta tell ya not a single one found the same thing worked of them as others.

I use deep woods off, it is 25% deet. I have met more than one person this does not work for.. one of them found Repel wipes which are 30% deet worked for her.. another lady was using baby oil in a small pump sprayer.

There is both malaria and dengue fever on the island so ya wanna find something that works.

Do not let anyone fool you into believing the bugs are not bad... prepare for the worst and be happy if you slip under their radar. I also do not subscribe to the "they are only bad at dawn and dusk" theory.

As an added thought, one need worry about the whole of their body..not just their feet, I have seen some nasty reactions all over peoples backs.

Cheers

Indeed, the bug debate... I believe it all to be about body chemistry, not only what repellent works for you but also how much the bugs love you. Cheers

Agree:D If in doubt, of what to purchase, I'd look at something with DEET. The level does vary from product to product, so choice is up to the individual. And you won't really know if you chose correctly until you use it.;) Most cruisers are generous with their sprays and we were offered to share on our first two cruise day visits. ( But we didn't take them up on the offer. Left the beach bite free. ) Just depends.

Archived