FCO => Civitavecchia Port?

anilos81

I just booked my E. Mediterranean cruise on RCCL and am now trying to figure out transportation from the airport (FCO) to Civitavecchia. Royal Caribbean offers a shuttle for $85 per person each way. The distance is 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

We arrive at 10:45am and we embark at 5pm. What do you think about trying to get to the port via public transportation or other means??? Is $85 per person each way reasonable? Is there an easy way via train???

I am a first time cruiser and it seems like a lot, but it also seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind! Please help!

I think it would all depend on your comfort zone. There is a train you can catch to the port but then you would still need to get from the train station to the actual dock where the ship is. You can also hire a private car to get you there. Granted, I haven't done this yet but hope to someday get to take a cruise that leaves from Civitavecchia. I've docked there for the day and gone into Rome a couple of years ago and we just opted to take the ship's transportation into Rome as that is what we were more comfortable with. But if you do some searches here you will find that alot of people have taken the train and hired drivers. The train will be much cheaper but then you have to haul your luggage with you. Private drivers can be expensive and remember when researching this that it may sound cheaper in Euros but then you still have to convert it.

Here's a link to the most recent post regarding this subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=452154

Anyway, good luck on your research and enjoy your cruise!

Please do a search on this board as there is a wealth of information on how to get to the port from the airport either public,taxi,ot private transportation..with links,costs and peoples opinions.

Ya I tried searching by Civitavecchia by I didn't find much on my exact question. I was hoping to hear from people who have actually taken another form of transportation to the port. I now have the info I need, thank you.

Via these boards I found www.romashuttle.com

Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Picked up my relations on time from the Civitavecchia port, waiting with sign as requested and sent large van.

En route to airport they realised they had had a 'senior moment' and had forgotten their passports on the ship......Carlo the driver was fantastic - did a u-turn, flew back to the ship and then zoomed to the airport to ensure they caught their flight.

At the airport he still quoted the original fare of €110 - considering he had done the journey practically 4 times....Great company and hope fellow CCers use them when in Rome

$85 is €64 at today's rates therefore €110 is equal to $145

In August we had the same flight arrival time as you and took the train from FCO to Civitavecchia.

Price was 7 euro per person and time was 1 hour to get to Civitavecchia and its very easy and safe to do, it all depends on your age or psysical condition. You need to carry your bags in and outside the train. If that's no problem, go for it. Trains are not crowded at all during that time of the day.

If you arrive in Civitavecchia, you have to walk 600 metres to the port or take a cab (hard to get sometimes). Costs may vary, but normally it cost about 10 euro. It's an easy walk along the beach and some shops. If you arrive at the entrance of the port, you can take a free shuttle bus to the ship.

If you need more information about which trains and trainstations, please let me know.

I posted this picture of Google Earth a couple of months ago. This shows the distance from Civitavecchia trainstation to the port.

civitavecchia.jpg

EGADS! I know this subject has been beaten to death on these boards because I have oft contributed to the discussion. First off, the time to drive from FCO to the port is about an hour. Second, $85 per person is a darn good deal and you will not do much better using a taxi, limo, etc. The only cheaper option would be to use the train, and this would mean you have to take a train into Rome (opposite direction from the port) and than change trains (and platforms) for a train to Civ,, and than you still need to get from the train station to the ship (we have posted info on this many times). As much as I hate to ever use transportation provided by the cruise lines, if you arriving the day of your cruise I would suggest you take the cruise line option. As to the option of renting a car for the transfer, I have never found this a great option because the cost of a one-way rental with the darn drop charges is pretty steep. And, the rental car companies are all outside the port and some will no longer transfer you to the ship because of new security rules inside the port.

Hank

I agree with Hank. In June this year we arrived at FCO at about 10:30 for departure from Civ at 6pm on Galaxy. We had arranged our flights ourselves and decided to do the train thing. We had a coach arranged from Roma Termini to Civ (thanks to the contact group here on cruisecritic) but were doing the train all the way on return.

Well it all worked, but it was a lot of hassle, so next year we have decided to go with cruiseline air + transfers.

In August we had the same flight arrival time as you and took the train from FCO to Civitavecchia.

Price was 7 euro per person and time was 1 hour to get to Civitavecchia and its very easy and safe to do, it all depends on your age or psysical condition. You need to carry your bags in and outside the train. If that's no problem, go for it. Trains are not crowded at all during that time of the day.

If you arrive in Civitavecchia, you have to walk 600 metres to the port or take a cab (hard to get sometimes). Costs may vary, but normally it cost about 10 euro. It's an easy walk along the beach and some shops. If you arrive at the entrance of the port, you can take a free shuttle bus to the ship.

If you need more information about which trains and trainstations, please let me know.

I posted this picture of Google Earth a couple of months ago. This shows the distance from Civitavecchia trainstation to the port.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! :)

I found this on about.com:

"Coming and Going from FCO - Rome, Italy

From Arlene Fleming,

Arriving in Rome

Navigating FCO (Rome, Italy) = Chaos. This is a busy airport. For many travelers FCO is the first point of arrival for an Italian adventure or a mediterranean cruise. Given a busy airport, tips on navigating through are always in order!

Breathe deeply...this is an airport that bursts with passengers. So we'll look at arriving and departing from this Italian hub.

If you are arriving from other points in Europe, you are likely to arrive and depart from Terminals A or B. From overseas? Terminal C.

Customs is a fairly rapid process. It seems a quick gaze at your passport and you are done.

On the arrivals level there are several shuttles and taxis (approx 40 euro to the city center). If you are taking the train (Tren Italia), you will need to go to the departures level, continue outside, and look for the pedestrian overpass that will take you to the train station.

You have 2 choices to take you to the city center.

If you are taking a cruise from Civitavecchia you have an inexpensive option with the train. Where taxis charge between 130-140 euro to the port, the train is a fraction of that cost. You simply go to the ticket counter and purchase a 5 euro ticket to Trastevere and purchase a Trastevere to Civitavecchia ticket (3.70 euro )

Departing Rome

When departing FCO if you are checking luggage prepare for a long wait. Show up at least 3 hours prior to an international flight.

No luggage? I suggest going to the airline's 1st class line if it is not too busy. Because I usually travel with carry-on only, I can attest to using this strategy with a few airlines.

The airlines like to put security stickers on passports so make sure you have one before proceeding to your gate.

After making your way to the gates area, a decent capucchino can be purchased at one of Rome's airport cafes to enjoy as an alternative to the coffee served on board as you bid Ciao to Italia."

No thanks ;)

You take the train to Trastevere (15 minutes ride) and take another train to Civitavecchia (45 minutes). It's a nice ride, the trains are very comfortable and modern. You have plenty of time, even if you miss the train a couple of times :)

The airport is just like other international airports, I've never seen chaos at all, but maybe that's because I'm European and I go with the flow :D

A lot of cruisepassengers took the train because a cab is way too expensive and the ride takes more time.

Sheik, You are only telling part of the story. Cruise passengers will have several pieces of luggage to drag on and off trains (and they must change in Trastevere where it might involve steps). After an hour of train rides (+ time to wait for the train at FCO and the connecting train at Trastevere) they will arrive at the small station in "Civ." Its only a long 4-5 blocks from the station to the port entrance, but this can again be a problem if you have a lot of luggage. So, perhaps you need a taxi from the station to the port, but even if there are some taxis at the station (and many times there are no taxis) they do not want to take you that short of distance. Assuming you can get to the port entrance (we have walked this many times) there is a free shuttle bus from the entrance to the ships. Can you do this to get to the port? Sure..we have done it ourselves. Do you want to do this to get to the port? Now that is the question. As to the airport, I agree with you that its just a typical airport and we have never had any problems with FCO. In fact, the internal train station and direct overpass to the Hilton make it a favorite of ours...plus the rental car returns are inside the garage which is also connected to the terminal. FCO is a good airport for all but cruise passengers :)

Hank

Hank

Hlitner, please read my posts (again). I'm telling all the things you have to know.

Again....It depends on your luggage and condition....You save at least 80-90 dollar per person of you take the train. It's AGAIN a 600 metres walk, so AGAIN it depends on your condition, and AGAIN you can take a cab. There are a lot of cabs in Civitavecchia and the many times I was in Civitavecchia I could easily take a cab, but I didn't because we find the walk to the pier very nice walk, even with luggage.

You don't have to take steps at Trastevere, there is an elevator. We waited 5 minutes at Trastevere. That was enough time to walk a very short distance to the other train.

Sheik, I agree. The only steps we encountered were at the Civitavecchia station. The walk to the port entrance where we got the free shuttle was shorter and easier than I expected. In fact, the walk was very pleasant!

It all boils down to how much luggage you have (we each had a large bag on wheels and small carry-on that we set on top of it) and whether saving lots of money matters or not.

Where are steps in Civitavecchia trainstation and how many? I didn't see steps, or maybe I didn't notice them

Underneath the tracks!

We got our train ( a local, stop-everywhere service) from a bay platform on the same side of the station as the main entrance. But I know that others have found that either on arrival from Rome, or on departure from Civ, their train has used a platform on the far side of the station to get to which you have to use an underpass which has steps.

thank you Shaik you save us a lot of money, we are going to cruise on march and the transportation to the cruise is really expensive, so with your info I think that we can take the train. Im 28 so I dont think that will be hard for me to do it. Thanks again

thank you Shaik you save us a lot of money, we are going to cruise on march and the transportation to the cruise is really expensive, so with your info I think that we can take the train. Im 28 so I dont think that will be hard for me to do it. Thanks again

Ya, I am 24 so I'm not concerned with being able to do it either. I am concerned with the fact that our flight arrives at 10:45am and our ship leaves at 5pm & we are supposed to be there by 3. I wasn't sure if this leaves us enough time to take the train... I have never flown into Italy, so I don't even know how much of a hassle it is to actually get our bags and go through customs! So when you get back you will have to tell me, I don't cruise until May!

Ya, I am 24 so I'm not concerned with being able to do it either. I am concerned with the fact that our flight arrives at 10:45am and our ship leaves at 5pm & we are supposed to be there by 3. I wasn't sure if this leaves us enough time to take the train... I have never flown into Italy, so I don't even know how much of a hassle it is to actually get our bags and go through customs! So when you get back you will have to tell me, I don't cruise until May!

Once you go through passport control where they may be a line,but not to bad...just go to your baggage area collect luggage and procede through nothing to declare door at customs,and head for the train.Very easy to do.

There are express trains too but while we were waiting for ours at Termini station I had time to study the 'boards' and the locals far outnumber the expresses. So it would all depend on what was best for the whenever you are riding.

And, yes, only the one track against the station doesn't require using the stairs. But, hey, for a saving of probably $150 or so, I would lug more than we did down a flight and up a flight!

I meant to mention one more thing on these boards although it has nothing to do with trains. We spent a week in Rome many years ago and thought about just spending a night or two in Civitavecchia itself before our cruise. But did you ever try to research Civitavvehia hotels?..it's hard as heck! It doesn't seem like there are many, you don't know where they are and on and on. Well, between the station and the port entrance we passed two very nice looking ones. Of course, I failed to write down their names but I was impressed. Then a fellow cruiser was telling us that they lived dangerously, went straight to Civitavvechia. walked into one of those hotels and got a room. They said it was wonderful, more reasonable than the Rome hotels and they enjoyed the area. Good restaurants, by the sea, etc..

Civitavecchia, Civitavecchia, Civitavecchia, Civitavecchia..(I'm going to get it right every time from now on if it's the last thing I do).

Who named this place anyway? Why didn't they come up with something simple....like Porta!!!!!!

Sheil,

Thank you so much for the information. I am on the same cruise as Anilos81. In my case we will go into Rome for two days and take the train to Civitavacchia. This will be not big deal for us on this part of the trip. On the return we will need to go directly to FCO where we will spend the night at a hotel before flying out the next morning. From the Civitavecchia train station I will need a ticket to Trastevere, and from Trastevere to FCO? I figure approximately an hours trip. I have had experience riding the trains in Europe in the past and I find it very logical to travel like the locals. As long as you are in good health and don't over pack this should not be a problem. If you over pack say more than two suit cases per person I can see it as a problem.

Thanks for the information.

I'm glad to help you all :)

There are plenty of good hotels in Civitavecchia, but it's hard to find the most on the internet or brochures.

Your arrival time should be no problem, if there are no delays. If you arrive at FCO at 1pm you can make it either. If the ships leaves at 5 pm, you don't need to be at the ship at 3 pm. When you have some delay and you call the ship, they absolutely wait for you if you arrive at 4pm.

@vivian02

Buy a ticket to Fiumicino Airport. It depends on the time at that moment, if you'll get a ticket via Ostiense or Trastevere. The ride take 1 hour and 25 minutes when you change trains in Ostiense. Via Trastevere, it takes 10 minutes longer.

Archived