Member who lives in St.Lucia

caribbeandiva

Actually I overlooked Vigie beach which is even closer than Choc, but then I was thinking about facilities. Vigie is the closest actually but even that you cold not walk to, unless you wanted to get extremely hot and bothered!:eek: It's a nice beach next to the airport, but there are no changing facilities or anything remotely touristy. Choc while a bit further will be more up your alley, but you have to take a taxi or the local bus cost about 1.00EC approx 37cents US and its right along the route so you cannot get lost.:)

Denyse

You said that Choc Bay is the closest beach to where the boat docks in Castries. Can we walk there? Or are there any other beaches in walking distance from the pier? I ask this question since my DH & I would like to stay in the port area and walk around as well as stop and enjoy a St Lucia beach.

I've heard there is black sand in St Lucia. What beaches are they and how close are they to where the ship docks? I'm having trouble booking a tour there. I'd love to see some of the black sand beaches and see the Pitons as well. But I'd prefer to snorkel from a boat rather than the beach. Princess doesn't seem to offer any tours that fit my taste!

I've thought of an independent tour but they seem to be very long. Plus I think I want to combine a short land tour with a snorkel boat trip.

Do you have any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

Jan T

Caribbeandiva-

I love that you live there & are helping us out so much!

We will be in St. Lucia in January-so looking forward to it as

part of our cruise. I've seen you mention both Rodney Bay &

Reduit Beaches. Which is better? We like to just hang out, prefer

some shade or rent umbrellas if needed. Also, chair availability

and possiblility of snorkeling.

Seems both have food & drink. What about bathrooms? With

all that hot caribbean sun i'll be drinking lots-

Thanks again for all your help!!

Hi we will be in ST-Lucia in Dec.

We are interessted in the pirate extravaganza.... Can you give us any more info on the prices and lenght on time for that excursion.

Thanks for all your help. great thread you got going here.

Bob and Daphne

Caribbeandiva-

I love that you live there & are helping us out so much!

We will be in St. Lucia in January-so looking forward to it as

part of our cruise. I've seen you mention both Rodney Bay &

Reduit Beaches. Which is better? We like to just hang out, prefer

some shade or rent umbrellas if needed. Also, chair availability

and possiblility of snorkeling.

Seems both have food & drink. What about bathrooms? With

all that hot caribbean sun i'll be drinking lots-

Thanks again for all your help!!

Hello! How are you? Since your needs are simple, why don't you visit Choc Beach? Its closer than Reduit Beach, by the way Reduit Beach and Rodney Bay is one and the same. The area is called Rodney Bay, the beach is called Reduit Beach. There is a functional restaurant and changing facilities at Choc Bay as well as beach chairs and limited water sports. Quite a number of cruise ship passengers visit here.

Reduit Beach has more restaurants as it is in the heart of the tourist area, but then are prices are higher there. Choc Bay is much closer as well only about a 5 to 10 minute cab ride.

Denyse.

JanT,

I think all the black sand beaches are in Soufriere. I will check the Sandals Tours desk today when I go to work. The Pitons are also in Soufriere. If you want to see them you are looking at a drive of at least an hour or so down the west coast.

What time does your ship dock? There is a local tour company called Carnival that offers a day sail package to Soufriere leaving Castries about 8.30-9.00am sailing down to Soufriere, lunch at a local resaturant there, visits to the Botanical gardens and Diamond Falls and on the return, snorkeling at Anse Cochon and a quick visit to Marigot Bay and back into Castries for around 4.00pm. The cost is about 85 to 90 USD per person and its all you can drink and lunch is provided. Does this peak your interest? Let me know.

Denyse.

I've heard there is black sand in St Lucia. What beaches are they and how close are they to where the ship docks? I'm having trouble booking a tour there. I'd love to see some of the black sand beaches and see the Pitons as well. But I'd prefer to snorkel from a boat rather than the beach. Princess doesn't seem to offer any tours that fit my taste!

I've thought of an independent tour but they seem to be very long. Plus I think I want to combine a short land tour with a snorkel boat trip.

Do you have any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

Jan T

Hello,

I am assuming you are referring to the Brig Unicorn Pirate Ship.

Are you planning to do the day sail? If so, the cost is about 90USD for the day.

What time does your ship dock? I,ll get some more info for you.

Thanks, I started this thread because I have learnt so much from these boards, the least I can do is repay the favour! I am taking my first cruise in November a four day cruise on Majesty of the Seas, just to test the water..I hope to become as addicted as some of you guys are!:D

Denyse.

Hi we will be in ST-Lucia in Dec.

We are interessted in the pirate extravaganza.... Can you give us any more info on the prices and lenght on time for that excursion.

Thanks for all your help. great thread you got going here.

Bob and Daphne

Yes we are docking at around 8:00 am on the 19 Dec it's a Sunday.... we are leaving at 05:00 pm. But Royal Caribbean as it as a shore excursion for 70USD with part of it in the isalnd and a treasure hunt. Is it the same as what your talking about or that another boat.

Bob and Daphne

Hi-Ya,

Will be travelling on the sereanade of the seas in december, and when we get to st lucia, I was wandering if anyone has been on the north coast tour, as we are thinking about doing this tour, as it goes to reduit beach and the fabric making area which sounds nice.

Any help you can give us will be great as we are new cruisers as this is only our second cruise.

Thanks.

Hazel & Darren.

serenade of the seas : 4 - 11 DEC 2004.

Caribbean Diva, I'll be in St. Lucia in October on a Princess ship and would dearly love to visit the batik makers place of business.

The one I found is called Caribelle Batik. Could you tell me its address, how far away from the pier and/or any other pertinent info about this place, please.

Thank you so much for any help. :D

CarribbeanDiva,

Thank you so much for your help. Our party of four adults will be in St. Lucia on a port visit during our cruise at the end of November. We would like to have a day sail down the west coast from Castries to Soufriere and back. We want to do this on our own, so we can stop when we want to to swim, eat, snorkle, etc. Therefore, we don't want to be part of a group day sail.

Also, we DO NOT want to include any inland side trips (i.e., to the botanical gardens, the sulphur springs, etc.).

Can you recommend a catamaran or power boat operator for such a tour?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

i

My husband and I are going to St. Lucia next week on the Golden Princess. I saw that there is a beach inbetween the Pitons. How do you get there from the port and how much would it cost?? Thanks!:D

Hi Stef and Rob,

I believe that beach you are referring to is at the Jalousie Hilton and it is about 1hour to 1 1/2 drive from the dock. Taxi fare should run you around 100.00USD round trip. There are nicer beaches up north, cheaper to get to and less hassle. That drive can make you car sick..very winding. I live here and each time I drive down I get car sick!:eek:

Denyse.

Caribbean Diva, I'll be in St. Lucia in October on a Princess ship and would dearly love to visit the batik makers place of business.

The one I found is called Caribelle Batik. Could you tell me its address, how far away from the pier and/or any other pertinent info about this place, please.

Thank you so much for any help. :D

Hi, there are two places..I personally prefer Bagshaws which is much closer to the Port. It is about a 10 minute drive and is located next to the Sandals Regency. Gorgeous stuff, not bad prices. Should cost you about 10USD each way to get there.

Denyse.:)

Thank you so much, Denyse, for your answer. May I ask another....do you think Bagshaws sells the batik fabric by the yard? I'm not looking for clothing, just the fabric for making into quilting projects.

Again, thank you so much for any info.

Joyce :D

Hello, and thanks. We will be in St. Lucia on October 19th, and have reserved a boat tour with Sunlink tours for 15 people. I was very happy to see that you recommended them. We still need 5 or 6 people though. Anyone out there going to be in St. Lucia on the 19th?

Are any of the Sandal resorts close to the cruise ports? If so how much would it cost to spend a day there?

Hi Kim and John,

There are two Sandals close to the port, the Regency and the Halcyon. They are in opposite directions but take roughly the same amount of time about 10 to 15 minutes. I believe its about USD100.00 for a day pass.

Denyse.

Hi Denyse,I have been to St. Lucia twice. Once we did Sandals and the other time, an island drive to the Pitons, the Stinking Volcanoe and etc.

I would like to see Marigot Bay. I need some help with this. What is there to do there? Is there a beach to use? Are there any places for lunch?

Do we just get a cab, look around and leave?

As you can see I am clueless on this. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Giz

Hi Denyse,I have been to St. Lucia twice. Once we did Sandals and the other time, an island drive to the Pitons, the Stinking Volcanoe and etc.

I would like to see Marigot Bay. I need some help with this. What is there to do there? Is there a beach to use? Are there any places for lunch?

Do we just get a cab, look around and leave?

As you can see I am clueless on this. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Giz

Hi Gizmo,

I love Marigot Bay! I take all my visitors there for the lovely views and laidback atmosphere. You can take a cab there, its about a 1/2hour's drive out of Castries and there are restaurants there. I love the Shack Restaurant, it overlooks the water and its not too pricey. nice simple ambience. You can take a short ferry ride from either JJ paradise or at the end of the dock for a couple of dollars ..not much and go to the beach on the other side. Very picturesque idyllic place. You should like it if you don't want to do anything too strenuous and just want to chill.

Denyse.

We are a group of at least 4 scuba divers and cruising to St. Lucia in December. Our ship does not arrive until 9:30 am which is to late for us to out with any of the local dive operators. We are looking for options on how to dive St. Lucia and even considering chartering a private boat.

Do you have any suggestions?

Denyse,

Thanks. Marigot sounds perfect. A couple more questions.

Are there taxis available at Marigot if we hang around a while and have lunch?

What is the beach you mentiioned like? Any refreshment stands, rest rooms or chairs to rent?

Archived