Rio to Santiago in Feb. on Amsterdam

Toots

We're looking at the 16-day Amsterdam, starting in Rio on Feb. 26, going around the Horn and ending in Santiago. We read good things about this ship and the itinerary sounds exciting.

Anyone know when Carnival is in Rio? We want to spend two days there before the cruise but we're not big partyers and want to avoid the carnival crowds. Any suggestions for Rio hotels are also appreciated.

Toots,

Carnival in Rio is a four day event and changes every year as it has to do with our Easter Calender. Next year's dates are 5,6,7 & 8th February so you will certainly miss it.

I for one would not want to be there when it is on. I am also interested in Rio Hotels as we will be doing the cruise in 2006. I have read that the Sheraton is not in a good area and hard for transport.

Jennie

Hi Toots:

We did this itinerary last year on the Amsterdam and are actually booked for this year again, although we are not sure whether to keep the booking since another cruise is also of interest to us.

You will enjoy the Amsterdam and the ports visited, all are very interesting with lots of activities to choose from. Many passengers like to see the penquins and our best viewing was in the Falklands. HAL offers a shore excursion by four wheel drive which is handled by local guides and was great fun. They take you to several spots where the penquins can be viewed and the photo opportunities are fantastic. One can almost touch the beasties.

If this is of interest to you, book EARLY for this excursion.

We stayed two nights at the Sheraton and were very happy with the hotel.

Excellent location, great service and although it is a bit out of the way, a taxi ride is not expensive. If you arrange tours, the bus picks you up at your hotel and the cost is no different from pickup at say a Copacabana location.

A friend stayed at the Gloria Hotel and was happy with the accommodations.

At the Sheraton they have a car service and you can arrange to have them meet you at the airport, transfer to the ship or book a tour to the popular Petropolis. We also did a tour with one of the drivers to Corcovado and also

Niteroi should not be missed.

I just know you will like the Amsterdam and the ports visited on this cruise.

Happy planning.

We're taking the Rio to Santiago cruise on the Amsterdam this December 15th. A local tour guide, who's going to squire us around in Rio, recommended the Marina Palace Hotel which is right on the beach in Leblon, a great area. He also mentioned a couple of other hotels which were too big buck for us. He indicated that the Sheraton, while a beautiful property, abutted a slum and was too remote to walk to restaurants or shopping. Have a great time; we're sure looking forward to our trip.

Jennie:

His name is Luiz Amaral and he operates Rio Tours. I picked up his name from a Lonely Planet Rio travel guidebook. They mentioned that they had received good reports from travelers who had used him. His website is: http://travelrio.com/tours.htm.

I contacted him by e-mail and he was very responsive and helpful. He's going to pick us up at the airport and take us around for three days at what I consider to be very reasonable fees.

If you do hire him please mention that you were referred by Jim B in Florida.

Jim,

Thanks to much for that information. I will definitely say that you recommended him. When you return would you mind letting us know how your trip went and about Rio and Luiz. I will be most interested to hear. My sister and brother in law will be on the Amsterdam as well on December 15th so if you meet up with an Aussie couple it may be them.

Jennie

Jennie:

I certainly will report on the trip. I'd love to meet the Aussie's on that cruise. We toured Australia several years ago and had a great time much of it due to the friendliness of the Australian people.

Jim

Thanks for all your comments. Right now we're trying to find airfares from Florida to Rio, the only direct 8-hour flights seem to be AA, but the fare is $830. Continental's flights go from Florida to Houston, then San Paolo, then Rio - 14-15 hours!

Kiwi - great to hear from you. We're still re-living the Baltic because the photos we took are on our screensaver and we have a constant slide show. It WAS fun, wasn't it?

Brigitte

Kiwi - great to hear from you. We're still re-living the Baltic because the photos we took are on our screensaver and we have a constant slide show. It WAS fun, wasn't it?

Brigitte

Yes indeed ....it WAS great fun.......a fantastic cruise ....

with fantastic Ports of Call....

St Petersburg is etched in my mind forever.......

Off again in August,a 10 day "Tahitian Princess" cruise........

to paradise...........

David.

Archived