insurance

this is to all u repeat cruisers>>>do you always purchase cruise ins.have you ever used it?

So far we have never purchased insurance, but on 1 cruise it was a free bonus from the TA we used. I think it is a personal decision, and depends on your own situation. It certainly is peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

The most important part of insurance is having the trip cancellation/interruption coverage. The closer you get to the cruise, the more you will lose. Unfortunately, you usually can't obtain just that. They usually bundle medical into it. You and your traveling partner may be healthy, but something could happen to a family member, close friend etc., that would require you to stay put or cut your vacation time. As a previous poster mentioned, don't go thru the cruise line. They often don't give cash refunds or it may take months before getting your money back. Someone just posted a bad experience with Travel Guard so I would probably be weary of them. Read the fine print. Most policies are based upon the amount of money you are spending so if you are not splurging on some big cabins, you should be able to find something around $100 pp. Since cruise lines offer deep discounts for booking early, and people reserve even a year in advance, insurance provides a great peace of mind.

Travel insurance is a must for medical expenses should you fall ill or have an accident while abroad.

We have never had to use it yet. We never buy from tour operators / cruise firms etc.

As we go abroad 3 / 4 times on holiday per year we get an annual worldwide policy. Cost £59 (US $125) for both of us this year. Great value and piece of mind.

I have only purchased insurance once and when I needed it Travel Guard said they are going to fight me on the bill. The only reason I bought it was because the trip was quite expensive 8k, I'm guessing that's why they are fighting it too. Aside from now not trusting Insurance companys it's not woth it for us because we usually don't book until a month before sailing.

I have only purchased insurance once and when I needed it Travel Guard said they are going to fight me on the bill. The only reason I bought it was because the trip was quite expensive 8k, I'm guessing that's why they are fighting it too. Aside from now not trusting Insurance companys it's not woth it for us because we usually don't book until a month before sailing.

This is good to know as we are trying to figure out where to get the travel insurance. As we planned to go on freedom of the seas late Oct 2007. This site is awsome.

Since we are getting older, we feel the need for insurance. We have used insuremytrip.com to compare prices from 10-12 companies. We have found the prices vary greatly. You can also compare the differences in the policies. I have had to use my policy once and had no trouble collecting. Pat

Archived