What to wear in St. Petersburg?

What is the dress code for touring in St. Petersburg? We're visiting at least two churches/cathedrals per day along with everything else, and we were wondering what to wear. We'll be cruising in early August.

Thank you very much.

I was there 07/05 and 07/06, and because it was very cool and rainy, everyone wore jeans or other long casual pants. My guess would be that when it gets hot, you should wear what is most comfortable. I am told that most of the palaces, etc are not airconditioned and can be very uncomfortable. There are thousands of people going through these sites every day, and it is definitely not dressy.

We were in St. Petersberg the week after the previous poster on July 12 and 13. Got caught in a terrible thunder storm at Peterhoff with a downpour. Later that day the san came out and it was nice. Next day we had sun, but I wore long pants because it wasn't terribly warm. Now the Hermitage on the other hand that afternoon was very, very hot. So I agree, dress in what you are comfortable with. The people in this city have become very westernized in their dress. From what I saw, anything pretty much goes.

We went to the Med in 2001 and I kept reading about what to wear and what not to wear in Europe. Well I took it to heart and we didn't bring shirts with logo's on them, etc. All I can say is, we didn't need to bother with all that. You will see everything from the Baltic area to the Med. The one thing my daughter noticed is the younger girls there just don't seem to show their stomach's as much with the low rise jeans like they do here in the US. That was very refreshing to see. Other than that, we saw all sorts of clothing. Just go and be comfortable.

Hulagirl

We were in St. Petersburg on July 7 & 8 on the Constellation. Dress comfortably and in layers. Our weather on the cruise ranged from warm to cold, dry to wet, changing throughout the day. In St. Petersburg it was cool but not cold and it didn't rain on us although it did rain after we returned to the ship.

As far as dress in the churches, just don't wear shorts. Of course, I took two pairs of shorts and never put them on - too cold! same with most of my short sleve shirts.

Archived