Question For Pb Tom From 38 Crazy Texas Women

CINDYSUE

Tom,

I know you are not going to be there when we arrive (Sept. 18)and we are so disappointed. We are a women's service organization and I remember reading somewhere on one of these threads that you collect school supplies for children living on Cozumel. Please let us know something about this so maybe we could bring some things for you.

Again, after hearing so much about you and reading your threads, we are really upset you will be on vacation when we get there.

Remember it's 38 women. How about changing your vacation???????

Cindy and friends

I'll answer this one since I think Tom might have missed it.

The Cozumel Chrysalis Group helps less fortunate Cozumel families with the cost of educating their children. Although there are public schools, students still need school uniforms, shoes and school supplies, which can pose a financial hardship for their families. School is only required until grade 6, at which time many students drop out to help support their family. The key to breaking the cycle of poverty in this tourist based economy is learning English, which is not taught until grade 7. Chrysalis is committed to keeping these children in school which enables them, and the families they will ultimate support, to make better lives for themselves. There's the old adage, "Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach them to fish and you feed them for life." Education is the way.

Last year (2003-2004) Chrysalis sponsored 184 students and next year's list is up to 273. This is all done through the support of local and visiting donors. School supplies currently needed include:

New and slightly used backpacks

Ink Erasers

White Out

Glue Sticks

Packs of 12-16 colored pencils

Geometry sets

Scientific Calculators

Reams of plain white paper

Folders with pockets

Scissors (rounded point for elementary, better quality for older students)

3.5" Diskettes

Thanks to last year's donors, Chrysalis has enough pencils and pens for the upcoming year and the year after that!

Donations can be dropped off at the Cozumel Minigolf or at Paradise Beach. Many, many thanks in advance for you generous support.

Sally Hurwitch

Cozumel Chrysalis Group

Hola amigas! I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that no, I won't be able to meet you. The GOOD news is that my wife has decided to let me live after reading your post! I plea bargained her down to 38 whacks over the head with a coconut! (one for every woman) Actually, it broke after 29 hits, so she finished me off with a pineapple! Then we made a couple of Pina Coladas with the remains, sat around and had a good laugh about the whole situation!...at least that's what she tells me...I'm still a little fuzzy about the details!!

Seriously though folks, thanx for your offer to help the kids! The following is a paste of a post CozSally posted last month which should explain the situation:

The Cozumel Chrysalis Groups supports children from less fortunate families by providing school uniforms, shoes and school supplies. For high school students, inscription fees and book fees are also paid. Chrysalis helped 186 students in the 2003-2004 school year that is just ending. The list for next year was just finalized yesterday and includes 276 students. Some of these students will move off the island over the summer, some will not pass the test to get into high school, so we anticipate a final number close to 250.

Gently used backpacks are fine, broken zippers and fraying edges are not. We want these kids to look like any other student at their school. Chrysalis collects cash donations and school supplies from island visitors all year long. The current NEED LIST includes glue sticks, scientific calculators, ink erasers and backpacks. Also, some schools are requiring blank computer diskettes. Other items can be purchased here if we still need them. Please no more pencils! We have a billion!

Thank you so much in advance for you generous donations!

Sally Hurwitch

Cozumel Chrysalis Group

We collect donations here at PB, or if it's more convenient, downtown at the Cozumel Putting Course (Minigolf) http://www.eagleraydivers.com/minigolf.htm

Thanx again for thinking about the kids, sorry I won't be around to meet you, but wherever I am Sept. 18th, I'll raise a glass in your honour!!

Adios crazy 38...have a great vacation!

Sally & Tom, funny that y'all posted at the same time. Cool. Two minds as one. Also, obviously two big hearts.

Question about the folders w/pockets. Do they need the ones w/the three metal prongs? I have a box of 50 right here with the prongs and pockets. Will be glad to pack them up to bring. Also, there are other things from the list I'll start buying in bits and pieces till I get ready for my next cruise. What a great organization y'all are involved with.:)

It's a super time to stock up on these supplies. Within the next few weeks, most stores will have major sales on school supplies. With this up to date list in hand we can make our $$ go even farther since many of those items will be on sale.

VanClan and everyone--Chrysalis's website is http://www.geocities.com/smallsal/chrysalis for further info about their needs. You can also email them at cozkids@hotmail.com or mail to The Cozumel Chrysalis Group, P. O. Box 449, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico 77600. They need the school supplies but also also gently used clothing (they have a garage sale to benefit the kids), $$ sponsorship of the schoolkids, etc. They also have other dropoff locations if people don't want to take everything with them to Paradise Beach.

Tom--how much space do you have for all this stuff? Thanks to you and Sally for your efforts.

Howdy Cindysue! If y'all didn't see my post on the thanks PB Tom thread, I'll put my 2 cents worth in here. I'd love to invite you and your 37 crazy women to visit one lonely Fort Worth fella at Cozumel Mini-golf when you come to town. You can leave the Chrysalis stuff here & we'll let Sally know that it's here. Your cruise ship gets into town at about 8AM and if you want to get here early, just let me know, I'll get here when you want just to see some of Y'all from home. I used to love going to the West End & Deep Ellum and got to see lots of Stars games at AAC & Reunion. We're open till 11PM (and I think your ship leaves at 11), so stop by anytime day or night. We'll even offer you a special treat - just email me via this board or through our website (sorry I can't post our http on this board) for more info. :D

Archived