Use of Piano?

colkeena

When we sailed Horizon there was a piano in one of the lounges that I played several times. Once I actually ended up with a bit of an audience. On all of our other cruises, including Mariner, it was my experience that the keyboard covers were kept closed and LOCKED except when being used by the ship's entertainment.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a piano on the ship? My daughter has piano exams when we return home and needs to practise. We will be on the Mariner.

In general, the pianos are kept locked. Apparently there are exceptions. :D

Best to ask when on board.

If it is that important for you to know ahead of time that she will have access to a piano, your only choise IS Gunnar's: book the Royal Suite. :)

(though I hear that it is frequently out of tune)

I would also add:

I would hope that the answer to your request would be NO.

Nothing personal, but how can they allow "just anyone" to play a piano in a public space? (and almost everything on a ship, where a piano is to be found, is a public space)

No one knows what someone will play, or how well. Why should everyone else be subjected to random people banging on a piano?

As I said, no personal offense meant, but even if your daughter is extraordinarily talented, who knows about the next person? And if she is "practicing for exams", what will she be playing?

Not everyone wants to hear someone's child practicing for her piano exams. :)

And yes, I have re-read what I typed, and realize that you may be offended by it, so I apologize again.

But try to see it from the point of view of the other passengers.

When my kids needed to practice when we were away from home, they just had to make due with pretending by using their fingers on a desk or counter top. No, it's not the same feel as real piano keys but then again, neither is a keyboard. And the reality is that the pressure of the keys varies from piano to piano. The kids would even comment on how tight some piano keys felt compared to others.

When they took lessons from a Julliard trained pianist, she insisted that they never play on a keyboard at home for practice.

I think I'd just let her skip it while on the cruise and do her best at exams. It's not the end of the world no matter what happens. (not that you expressed that it would be) :)

I would also add:

Nothing personal, but how can they allow "just anyone" to play a piano in a public space? (and almost everything on a ship, where a piano is to be found, is a public space)

No one knows what someone will play, or how well. Why should everyone else be subjected to random people banging on a piano?

As I said, no personal offense meant, but even if your daughter is extraordinarily talented, who knows about the next person? And if she is "practicing for exams", what will she be playing?

And yes, I have re-read what I typed, and realize that you may be offended by it, so I apologize again.

Someone asked this same question on here maybe 2 years or more ago. I remember she said her daughter had to practice.

I also remember the question got a tremendous amount of answers from posters very against someone playing a piano when they were on a cruise trying to relax with quiet time.

I also mean no offense by posting this. Just thought you should know that you might get answers not in favor of it or people on board totally against it.

I pondered this for a while before I posted. At first, I understand what some people are saying, that they don't want to be bombarded by just anyone banging away on a piano. Let's face it, there are "kids" that will do this without knowing how to play at all.

My husband is an amateur piano player, huge emphasis on amateur. He loves to sit down in stores that sell pianos to play a song or two. It's usually encouraged by the salespeople and a small crowd usually gathers - it's great fun, similar to karaoke.

If there were a lounge on the ship where there could be some sort of control over the the piano's use, like a crew member who can monitor and restrict serious players from the mindless bangers (like the salespeople do in the piano departments of JC Penny or other stores), then I think it would be an excellent idea.

I pondered this for a while before I posted. At first, I understand what some people are saying, that they don't want to be bombarded by just anyone banging away on a piano. Let's face it, there are "kids" that will do this without knowing how to play at all.

My husband is an amateur piano player, huge emphasis on amateur. He loves to sit down in stores that sell pianos to play a song or two. It's usually encouraged by the salespeople and a small crowd usually gathers - it's great fun, similar to karaoke.

If there were a lounge on the ship where there could be some sort of control over the the piano's use, like a crew member who can monitor and restrict serious players from the mindless bangers (like the salespeople do in the piano departments of JC Penny or other stores), then I think it would be an excellent idea.

Unless they are hiding them, JCPennEY does NOT sell pianos. I have worked there 20 years.....never saw a piano. A keyboard at Christmas yes, but a piano?? Nope.

Any piano that is sold in a department store is most likely not one that I would ever want to own!

DonnaK....

I know what you mean about your husband. There is a Steinway shop in Boston that I can never walk past it without stopping in a playing for a few minutes. I love trying different pianos. Still like my Mason & Hamlin best!

If you booked through a travel agent put him/her to work seeing what can be done. Special situations like this can sometimes be worked out before you board but it usually takes a lot of calling and follow up by the agent.

I would also add:

I have to say I find your concerns odd, plenty of places do have a piano sitting out that the pubic/guests or whatever are welcome to use, and I have rarely seen anyone use them, let alone banging away on them. I have doubts that many people would even use them, especially if they didn't know what they were doing. Just my take on it. As you, no intention here to offend you or start a debate.

I can just imagine sitting in the Centrum, midmorning, reading and relaxing, when all of a sudden someone's little angel starts piano practice.

I was thinking the same thing about the nice peaceful early morning Schooner bar! I sat through enough piano practices at home over the years - not a chance I want to hear someone else's child practice on my vacation no matter how well they play.

But as I will do if anyone is bothering me on a cruise (which rarely happens), I will go find something else to do and leave the immediate area.

Just a simple question requires a simple answer.No need to get upset.

Don't feel bad. You'll never just get a simple answer around here. :)

If I were you, I'd just ask someone on board since you are going to go on the cruise either way. I bet they will give you the simple answer you are looking for. Yes, or no! Let us know what the answer is.

.....how would the crew member determine who is a serious and able player........everyone would think they are.......best not to have a crew member put in the position of having to tell a passenger........you stinik......we do not want to listen to you.....;)

deleted .....double post

.....how would the crew member determine who is a serious and able player........everyone would think they are.......best not to have a crew member put in the position of having to tell a passenger........you stinik......we do not want to listen to you.....;)

Well, some people who think that they can play really do need a reality check!:D

My son brings his guitar but it is electric and he brings no amp. It is quiet. There is no way I'm allowing him to bring his trumpet. Second like any school matter, if it interfers with something -plan your trip differently. Or ask the music teacher to postpone the test a week since you will be traveling. I believe if your daughter is on vacation-she wants to rest from piano like you rest from work. JIMO

Archived