jeans in the dinning room?

Joh1Kar2

Ditto here also. I think if you allow someone wearing jeans or something that you may not like ruin your Dinner you certainly don't have your priorities in the right order. I would never allow anyone to ruin my good times anywhere. But I may be different I don't have time to stick my nose where it does not belong nor do I want to. Life is wayyyyy to short to worry about such trivial things. :p

i just returned from a celebrity cruise and yes,, there were jeans in the dining room.. worn by all ages, with dressy tops for the women and collared shirts for the men.. I peeked into the buffet one nite to check it out and about 40 people were dining.. some were very dressed up and some were casual.. the room was very pretty at nite, with table cloths and low lighting and soft music.. and waiter service.. a nice alternative if you don't want to keep your regular dining time..

I kind of like following the guidelines. If it is a formal night well then I guess I put my boot leg cut jeans in the closet. Afterall, they encourage certain dress at certain times and it doesn't ruin my vacation if I adhere to that dress code. However, if it is casual and there is no mention of jeans not allowed, well then go with what you feel comfortable. Certain cruises like to elevate the dining experience with the passengers dressed to match the atmosphere. Nothing wrong with that. If some cruisers like to defy rules because heck I'm going to do what I please, then they have no respect for the guidelines or their fellow passengers.

My 24 year old daughter and her friend are accompanying us on Sapphire Princess to NZ-Australia. She is prepared for formal night, however, how strict is Princess about jeans the other nights. I read in their book "no torn jeans." Are other jeans acceptable?? We are doing anytime dining and will probably eat together although if they meet some people their age they will hopefully think about eating with them. Help!

I didn't think there were any dress rules. I thought it was all suggested dress codes.

I choose to follow the dress code myself, my personal choice. I would not mind anyone wearing jeans in a smartly dressed way for casual nights.

I personally think that if you choose to wear jeans in the dining room on formal night, you are making some kind of statement. But I never saw anyone do that on our recent cruise.

We were in the elevator after dinner on one of our formal nights, dressed to the nines, tuxes and all. We were joined by a very young couple dressed in ripped jeans, multiple piercings etc. We didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable and I'm sure they didn't either. We laughed and joked with them about the elevator stops and found they were really sweet.

I have never judged people by their appearances, I judge each person by their personality, manners and friendliness.

If you are asking about jeans allowed in the dining room, you clearly want to wear them. Go ahead, be true to yourself and I am sure you won't be the only ones.

I'm sure your daughter her friend will be fine in the dining room on non-formal nights. You may want to encourage them to bring their nicer jeans without the frayed and torn areas. :cool:

I was on the CB in September. We did anytime dining. On the casual nights I did wear white jeans with nice tops. But I did not wear them on informal and formal nights. I really think that nice jeans with a top other than a T shirt is fine.

Why make comments about flames when the thread has been remarkably civil so far? *tsk, tsk* :rolleyes:

Like others have said, enforcement is spotty at best. On recent Princess and RCI cruises, I saw jeans in the dining room on all nights except formal. (I also saw ratty sweatsuits being allowed in.....*shudder*)

I haven't seen anyone turned away, but they will probably get some dirty looks from fellow passengers.

Princess is one of the last mid-range cruise lines to still pursue some level of elegance and ambiance. Dressing appropriately helps preserve that. :)

Jape

Why make comments about flames when the thread has been remarkably civil so far? *tsk, tsk* :rolleyes:
Over the past few weeks there have been a number of threads dealing solely with the topic of jeans in the dining room.

However, it does seem that jeans is the newest "hot topic", replacing booze smuggling and smoking for the time being. Just a quick search and I found 4 other current (having posts since 9PM yesterday) threads that are working the same topic. Some stay civil, others don't.

Charlie

Hi Everyone....

I've worn some smart 'dark' jeans in the dining room on several occasions. To be honest, it's pretty dark and nobody even noticed. I wore them with some nice shoes and smart shirt/jacket.

I understand you're not 'supposed' to wear them and if they were light, baggy or torn etc, I would understand if someone said something to you.

Use your commonsense.... you will know if they are smart enough.

Don't worry about it - relax and enjoy.

Regards,

David.

PS. If she does get stopped, just walk on and say she's not with you! :)

I posted the following on another thread. Some people seemed to think it was a good answer the dealt with both what is written and what is expected.

You're right, the book says "No Jeans". In practice, it's mostly ignored in the dining rooms on Smart Casual nights. We get in such huge debates over the meanings and nuances of what is written in the dress codes on these boards, but if you boil it down, all anyone is really asking is that you dress nicely on Smart Casual nights, and dress up some more for formal nights as if it were a special occasion. I don't think anyone is whipping out their Emily Post book to check out precise definitions.

I find that jeans are heavier than "work" clothes, so I can pack more by avoiding jeans. Even if you aren't flying, lighter luggage is always a blessing (I hope my wife is reading this). I DO believe that people should try to honor the dress requests as a courtesy to fellow passengers. As long as you are maintaining the spirit or intent of what is in the guidelines, I doubt you'll have problems.

There is a big misconception in differentiating (smart, business, country club, etc.) casual vs. informal. For the record, jeans are considered informal wear not casual. Examples:

(1)

Casual Attire

Women

· Khaki, corduroy, twill or cotton pants or skirts, neatly pressed

· Sweaters, twinsets, cardigans, polo/knit shirts

· Solid colors work better than bright patterns

Men

· Khaki, gabardine or cotton pants, neatly pressed

· Cotton long-sleeved button-down shirts, pressed, polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar

· Sweaters

· Leather shoes and belt

(2)

"Smart casual" is a more relaxed, yet professional look. Pressed

pants, a collared shirt, and clean, matching accessories. A sport coat

will add a touch of class to a casual look. Avoid jeans, sneakers and

T-shirts.

(3)

The style: Business casual has come to take on a variety of meanings -- most of which are misconceptions. Society has constructed this term to mean "anything other than a suit and tie." That's why it's not poor Larry's fault when he shows up to his meeting with the execs in jeans and a concert T.

So, what does "business casual" actually mean? Think of it this way: no jeans, no ties. Anything in between this spectrum is acceptable -- provided the outfit is assembled properly. From khakis and slacks to dress shirts and sweaters, you should be able to build enough of a varied wardrobe that'll impress the whole business casual boardroom.

Some, like the OP, ask a legitimate question due to not understanding what the difference. Others may take it to the extreme by interpreting their own version of the rules.

The bottom line is that people will end up wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

Jeans in any warmer climate most likely would be uncomfortable for me. I did wear a nice pair on the last night of a New England/Canada cruise with a leather dress jacket. The luggage had to be out by 5pm and thus these were the pants I wore home. We did not really see many except maybe the first or last nights. I guess most people do try to respect the requests of the cruise lines by trying to keep the dress code and some elegance. There are some cruise lines that do allow any type of clothes.

Archived