jeans in the dinning room?

Joh1Kar2

I agree that jeans can look quite nice. I have jeans that I dry clean only, pair with a jacket and heels and is a nice outfit. But having said all that jeans are just not the normal attire on a cruise and no matter what you pair them up with they still will not be the normal attire on a cruise.

After all these posts on jeans I still dont undersand why it offends people that the cruise lines have asked for no jeans in the dining room. There really are so many other options that are just as comfortable as jeans.

Just curious, please do not flame me! As I said on another board with the same subject, I would much rather wear or see a great pair of jeans with a dressy cami and heels in the dining room over a polyester pant suit with ugly shoes. In my opinion the jeans would be much much less casual than the pant suit yet it would fit the dress code.

I think it all depends on how you put it all together. There are alot of outfits that would conform to the code but would look horrible. For me I'll take the dressy top with jeans!

The problem is that there are different versions of the "rules". The contract reads no jeans.

Now I am not sure which part of the Princess WEB site you found your information but this is what I found:

http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html#attire

It is listed in the FAQ section under this question - How many formal/smart casual nights are scheduled for my cruise?

http://www.princess.com/faq/pre_cruise.html

I don't think there is a correct answer for this question since even the Princess web site has conflicting answers to the jeans or no jeans question?

I liked that slide show, however I would consider al the celebs to be dressed casual or 'street'. Personally I think a few shouldn't wear jeans. Kelly Rippa looks trashy in hers, whats with that top?

Just a guys perspective

Dave:eek:

We are going the Australia- NZ cruise NEXT January so will be very anxious to hear all about your experience! I especially want to hear what you will experience in weather and what kind of clothing to bring. When do you go? I like jeans at times too if it is accepted. :)

If you go over to the NCL board, they are now offically allowing jeans in the dining room :eek: I guess they got tired of fighting and most people were going to wear them anyway.........so, jeans are OK!!

NCL cruises are more relaxed than any other cruise line. What is okay for NCL isn't always okay on other lines.

A four page discussion about jeans. Wow. Even more shocking is the thought that people are offended by pants. PANTS. The only people that are offended by pants here in the States are the kind of people who voted for Bush. Those people are also not aware that women are allowed to vote now.

Hi, I'm Ashley. I'm the "24 year old daughter" that sparked this thread. I honestly thank you for all of your opinions and will bring a few pairs of nice pants as I do not wear "nice skirts" or "sun dresses." I live in Southern California, more specifically Los Angeles, even more specifically Hollywood. We eat, sleep, and breathe in jeans as everyone here works in the entertainment industry and no one gets offended by anything. I will press my luck with jeans for the majority of my luxurious stay on the Sapphire but I will bring options in case "the man" tries to bring me down. Perhaps I will wear a dress every night to dinner...that way my tattoos will be on full display.

Always a pleasure to offend :),

ash xo

Educated Hollywood Punks With Money (for Peace)

P.S. Do you think the Carnival trip Motley Cruise has a rule against jeans? Discuss amongst yourselves...for 8 pages.

Hi, I'm Ashley. I'm the "24 year old daughter" that sparked this thread. I honestly thank you for all of your opinions and will bring a few pairs of nice pants as I do not wear "nice skirts" or "sun dresses." I live in Southern California, more specifically Los Angeles, even more specifically Hollywood. We eat, sleep, and breathe in jeans as everyone here works in the entertainment industry and no one gets offended by anything. I will press my luck with jeans for the majority of my luxurious stay on the Sapphire but I will bring options in case "the man" tries to bring me down.
Honey, the "man" won't bring you down but saying you're from Hollywood and don't care about Guidelines doesn't help your case. You'll just look as though you come from... Hollywood. Hardly the standard of appropriate dress for 99% of the country.

I am sure that you are totally adorable....

Obviously we both have differing definitions of adorable.:eek:

But we want to see those tatoos !

I hope that you are just speaking for yourself. :(

Always a pleasure to offend

At least you're successful at something.:o

Honey, the "man" won't bring you down but saying you're from Hollywood and don't care about Guidelines doesn't help your case. You'll just look as though you come from... Hollywood. Hardly the standard of appropriate dress for 99% of the country.

I completely understand although I've always tended to do what I can get away with. I have been to almost every state in this great nation on tour and ate at the most expensive restaraunts in town on every day off I had. I highly recomment the surf n turf at DiMillo's Floating Restaurant in Portland, Maine. I would venture to say it's the best in the world. Then head down to Kansas City for the best chocolate cake ever at Brio. And I must have wore jeans there too :) For the Sapphire, I will bring my designer jeans :)

Now I know why my mom goes on this website every day. Good times, great oldies.

Representing the (stubborn) youth of America

ash xo

I will be holding seminars on board regarding Dancing with the Stars, the music business, and how it snows at 7:00pm and 8:00pm sharp in Los Angeles during the month of December. Feel free to attend.

At least you're successful at something.:o

I have gold records on my wall, which I find to be more superior than your gold teeth...but we probably have differing opinions :)

your new favorite cruisecritic.com member,

ash xo

It may offend me if some of you will need to be wearing diapers. Oh that's just mean. I'm just kidding :)

She did. She's the best. If you knew anything about manners you would know never to speak about someone's mother.

thinsp.png

I've had a lovely stay here at cruisecritic.com. Thanks for your hospitality. I will now depart and leave you be to discuss martinis and living trusts. Sorry, I had too, you just make it too damn easy. Hope I entertained some. See some of you with the hobbits in a couple weeks. This thread will self-destruct in 9h 16m 32s.

ash xo

sar·casm [sahr-kaz-uhthinsp.pngm]

–noun

1.harsh or bitter derision or irony.

2.a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Well once in a while you just want to tell someone how incredibly rude and immature they appear. I'm sorry my comment offended you.

Actually, I agree with you. I should have quoted the correct quote from the rude poster. I was not saying that your quote was getting us off track. My apologies for the confusion.

Wear what you like at whatever time you like. As long as you look presentable you will never have a problem eating in the dining room.

This seems to be a hot topic on every cruise board around. Unfortunately that is the ONLY place where it is a hot topic. The personnel on the ships could not care any less about what you wear when you eat your dinner.

As a matter of fact the only people that should be in a uniform are those that are working, JMHO.

Cheers,

Peter

I'd say the last sentence is a bit elitist (and they call me elitist for favoring formal wear).

I know for a fact that the personnel on ships do care what you wear - they do an outstanding job for you and they appreciate when you show your respect and thanks to them by dressing properly.

The one question these discussions always bring to my mind - I wonder if the people complaining about the overall lowering of quality of the product on cruise ships are the same ones going to the dining room looking like they're making a trip to Dennys?

My 24 year old daughter and her friend are accompanying us on Sapphire Princess to NZ-Australia. She is prepared for formal night, however, how strict is Princess about jeans the other nights. I read in their book "no torn jeans." Are other jeans acceptable?? We are doing anytime dining and will probably eat together although if they meet some people their age they will hopefully think about eating with them. Help!

you will see nice jeans (not the torn ragged ones) worn in the dining room with a nice top for women or collared shirt for men.. I personally saw lots of them on princess, Celebrity and RCI within the past few months and in fact I wore jeans the last nite to dinner and certainly wasn't the only one.. on formal nites everyone in the dining room seemed to be 'dressed up'.. but i did see one man in jeans, black turtle neck and black leather blazer,, a little out of place for the caribbean but the dining room was cool :) and he did look 'sharp"....

you will see nice jeans (not the torn ragged ones) worn in the dining room with a nice top for women or collared shirt for men.. I personally saw lots of them on princess, Celebrity and RCI within the past few months and in fact I wore jeans the last nite to dinner and certainly wasn't the only one.. on formal nites everyone in the dining room seemed to be 'dressed up'.. but i did see one man in jeans, black turtle neck and black leather blazer,, a little out of place for the caribbean but the dining room was cool :) and he did look 'sharp"....
While it's true that some people try to get away with wearing jeans in the dining room and they're not turned away, that doesn't make it right or acceptable. I'm surprised that a board monitor would advocate or tell people on the board that it's OK to ignore the cruise guidelines.

I'd say the last sentence is a bit elitist (and they call me elitist for favoring formal wear).

I know for a fact that the personnel on ships do care what you wear - they do an outstanding job for you and they appreciate when you show your respect and thanks to them by dressing properly.

The one question these discussions always bring to my mind - I wonder if the people complaining about the overall lowering of quality of the product on cruise ships are the same ones going to the dining room looking like they're making a trip to Dennys?

Hmm, elitist, me? I don't think so.

In any event, I said nothing about formal wear, I believe I said uniforms. I guess you assumed that to be formal wear. But it wouldn't make any difference to me if their uniform was a polo shirt and jeans as I don't pretend that this is some 5 star restaurant. Come to think of it, I believe Denny's cooks your food to order as opposed to the production line assembly of the galley on a cruise ship.

As to the second point, I find that the staff are more interested in a nice smile, saying please and thank you, having a pleasant personality, along with a nice tip at the end far more than wearing formal wear, but hey, what do I know. :D

For your third point, I doubt seriously that the lowering of quality in cruising has anything to do with what the passengers wear, but more on cost cutting that the cruiselines are doing so much of in order to provide the cheapo fares that so many on here love so much.

Cheers,

Peter

This almost seems like a waste of time. The girl that the question was asked for seems very sarcastic and she seems like could care less. People will wear what they want. I, too, have seen and worn nice jeans on the last night due to the fact that suitcases had to be placed outside by 6, otherwise, I do follow the rules.

Archived