Dress Code RE: Jeans

anon1978

When we cruised on the Conquest the following is what we wore:

Formal nights - ball gown for me, tux for my husband

casual nights - sundresses or dark jeans, nice top and heels for me, dockers or dark jeans with button down shirts and loafers for my husband

We were neither overdressed nor underdressed for any of the evening meals.

On a 7 nite cruise there are 2 formal nites. What that means should be clear to ANYONE with a brain cell.

But every dinner in the dining room is served by uniformed or tuxedoed waitpeople. Linen napkins and tablecloths, chargers and full silver service and stemmed glassware. Multi course meals, international cuisine, professionally served and well attended. If you think jeans fits in this picture, well, too bad.

Dan

And yet some people still feel comfortable dressed for Friendly's even though the waiter is wearing a tuxedo and they are eating duck breast.:rolleyes: Thank goodness we have never had tablemates that feel that way.

When we cruised on the Conquest the following is what we wore:

Formal nights - ball gown for me, tux for my husband

casual nights - sundresses or dark jeans, nice top and heels for me, dockers or dark jeans with button down shirts and loafers for my husband

We were neither overdressed nor underdressed for any of the evening meals.

I am obviously anti-jeans. But its blue jeans I'm against as they are way too often just sloppy looking. Somebody wearing black denim pants would escape any notice by me [unless the black jeans were nicely filled by a lady of the female gender, even then, I still wouldn't notice the black jeans.:rolleyes: ]

The lack of understanding that different situations call for different acts and/or dress is the real problem.

When did manners get outlawed? I missed that.

Dan

We just got off the Valor last Sunday and there were many, many people wearing jeans topped with a nice shirt or top in the dining room on casual night.

By the way...the waiters wear tuxedos and the tables are set in white linen at breakfast and lunch also, at which time you are allowed to wear shorts......

This was posted on December 28 by MMW37:

Still sticking to my no jeans at dinner when we sail next month on our first cruise, but it has made me rethink my non-formal evening attire, and I won't be packing a gown for the formal nights either, as I don't want to feel like Lovey Howell sitting next to MaryAnn at dinner.

Hi dansu, I think you should bring the gown if you like to dress up in it, or just a nice outfit if you don't. My husband and I went all out, gowns and tux's for our formal nights, some others didn't. Truly I could care less what others are wearing, but the getting dressed for dinner is all about sailing for me. I guess if I feel I'm going for a nice dining experience I want to dress the part. I think people need to not worry so much what others are doing and do what they feel is right. Just my 2cents:)

Just went back into the FAQ's for Carnival and yes the JEANS wording has been removed. We just returned from the LIberty a couple of weeks ago and we saw more jeans than ever in the dinning rooms. The jeans that I saw were clean and neat, not something that one would wear working around the house or on the car.

So wear them if you so choose. Personally for me jeans are to warm for the climates that we visited, and for comfort wearing more casual type clothes was better for us.

WERA. And cost determines class? You can pay $14 or overpay at $300. They're still jeans - denim. A designer label only shows someone's self storking ego. And still not appropriate in a formal setting and most people realize it.

And clothes determines class? :rolleyes: IMO I think many such as yourself put to much into clothes and material things in life! Get a grip and realize that clothes do not make a person upscale, it is how you act and present yourself, I think I will stick with my friends that are college educated that are Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses, Teachers and just down to earth people that ALL wear jeans! :D

Just went back into the FAQ's for Carnival and yes the JEANS wording has been removed. We just returned from the LIberty a couple of weeks ago and we saw more jeans than ever in the dinning rooms. The jeans that I saw were clean and neat, not something that one would wear working around the house or on the car.

So wear them if you so choose. Personally for me jeans are to warm for the climates that we visited, and for comfort wearing more casual type clothes was better for us.

Yep.......but as long as I have been cruising Carnival the word jeans was never in the FAQ's:)

WERA. And cost determines class? You can pay $14 or overpay at $300. They're still jeans - denim. A designer label only shows someone's self storking ego. And still not appropriate in a formal setting and most people realize it.

The dining room on a cruise is a formal setting? You have an interesting definition of formal.

I guess maybe I should involve myself in what other people choose to do more often but for some odd reason I feel they're allowed the freedom to make their own choices. Guess I'm weird like that, could be the country I grew up in being pretty much for individual freedoms if they don't do harm to others.

As for the comment about the designer labels - I agree wholeheartedly. However dressing in slacks versus jeans doesn't denote any sort of style or class either....

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

From the FAQ's on Carnival's website.

Did I or someone else say people shouldn't wear jeans? There are times for jeans and times for a tux or suit. If I know I'm attending a formal event, I know what is proper. I would never show up at a BBQ or picnic wearing a suit or tux. It wouldn't be appropriate.

Formal nite Mr Urban, formal nite rules!

We won't even get into "Good Taste".

It is also a question of how your parents brought you up, isn't it?

Actually I believe the comments started about the jeans on a normal night, not a full on formal night. I do agree that if you make the choice to go to a formal night then you should make the effort to dress up somewhat. However on a normal night in the dining room, this is 2006, jeans ARE resort casual.

Actually I believe the comments started about the jeans on a normal night, not a full on formal night. I do agree that if you make the choice to go to a formal night then you should make the effort to dress up somewhat. However on a normal night in the dining room, this is 2006, jeans ARE resort casual.

In my 2006 jeans are not resort casual.

So I guess it then becomes your own personal definition of casual.

Dan. Certainly not in all cases, but just maybe some parents failed to teach manners, courtesy and the smallest amount of social graces. Sadly, that lack will be passed on to another generation. This statement is a personal opinion and not directed at anyone particular.

Ah, classic web bored. When people disagree with you - with valid reasoning - default to insults about them, their family or in this case their parents.

I suggest you step out of the shadow world you're living in and take a look at the world as it is. The dress code you wish ot impose on people would have been considered horrid taste 40 years ago, the dress code then was horrible 40 years before that.

I know that I for one have no intention of going out in full powdered wig and waistcoasts that were the height of fashion for Louis XIV, just as I have no need to wear khakis rather than jeans.

So I guess it then becomes your own personal definition of casual.

That's what I've been saying all along, you're the person trying to determine what others wear, not I. If you feel khakis or other slacks are appropriate for casual settings then by all means, wear them and enjoy!

I would agree that jeans are indeed resort casual. That is if you are at Bob's rustic cabin resort. Not on a nice cruise ship and so far Carnival still has nice ships. If you want to dress in totally Blue collar casual then I recommend NCL as they really don't give a fig leaf what you wear just as long as you book a cruise.

The op asked a question and we are just telling it like it is. It is ok to wear jeans in the dining room on non formal night. Like I said I just got off the Valor last Sunday, and was on the Liberty last March and there were many people wearing jeans on non formal nights. The matre de never turned anyone away wearing jeans. That is my experience.......whether some like it or not.....it is reality.....

Did I or someone else say people shouldn't wear jeans? There are times for jeans and times for a tux or suit. If I know I'm attending a formal event, I know what is proper. I would never show up at a BBQ or picnic wearing a suit or tux. It wouldn't be appropriate.

I think age plays a huge part in this issue. It appears you are a bit older than myself and some others here. Thats fine, but it is 2006 and we are not living in the dark ages anymore. Appropriate, well that is a matter of anyones opinion. I agree formal nights are just that, a nice cocktail dress works fine for me. DH wears a sports coat and nice dress slacks. All other nights jeans can be appropriate if they are not torn, holes, stained and baggy and sloppy looking. White, Black, and blue jeans can be dressed up with nice jacket, loafer type shoes, I wear heels with mine, and nice blouse and DH wears nice shirt. We have never been denied access to Dining room and I know other family members that have dressed the same and have traveled on most ships and have NEVER been denied access to dining room. Do we or they get looks? I don't know and don't care. I don't stuff my size 8 body into a size 4, my A$$ is not hanging out nor are any other parts of my body. This is just my opinion and frankly I wish people as yourself would put your energy into matters that are important such as smoking on ship, babies in pool and hot tub, things that are dangerous and can harm others! ;)

Archived