Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

We are leaving on the Legend on Sunday and will be in Honduras next Friday, March 21. Due to all the positive feed back we have booked with Victor and took the tip to ask for Tex. I'll post results upon return! ;)

Hi Seaturtle,

Just wondering what your experience was? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hi Seaturtle,

Just wondering what your experience was? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

We were in Roatan the following week after Seaturtle. We used Victor's company and had Ben as a driver. He did a great job for us and we'd highly recommend him as a driver and Victor's company.

We used V. Bodden tours June 3rd and had Jorge *pronounced George* aka Pilo as our driver. He used to work on the Carnival ships and told us about that and just about everything about the Island. Victor's house was awesome, tons of monkeys jumping all over you and climbing around. He has a racoon, deer, lemar, and a cool little anteater. Check out his wife's little shop before you leave, we found a set of nice coasters for $10 half of the cost then the shops in town. We ended up being taken to lunch at Half Moon Bay resort, and all I can say is WOW! The seating is waterfront and you can see a little cave in the distance. The water is crystal clear and people were snorkling right off the beach. The food... beware the coconut shrimp! They are mean and you get lots of them, the best shrimp I have ever eaten and I ate a lot of shrimp via dinner on the ship. DW had the lobster pasta and couldn't kill but half it, so what i am getting at you get your money's worth at this place. If you do go there get a Rum punch for me, they are soo tasty. Also, for those intrested in Ziplining they did take us to a place for it. Pirates of the Carribean zipline, we chose not to do it but its $45 for the basic one and $65 for the extreme. Looked really fun!

This is a bonus piece of info for all which gives me a chuckle. I think carnival charges like $55-65 for something they call Tabyana Beach break. Our driver said he could take us there if we wanted and it would only cost us $5 and include a drink. Also, he said the cruise line gave it the fancy name but the locals call it West beach. Watch out when booking ship excursions, yes they make sure you are transported and all that but your pocket book also gets gorged for it.

We were there Tues as well and booked thru Victor. Our drivers name was Janet. She was born and raised in Roatan, and is of English descent (she said the English were the first on the Island). So of course her English was perfect!

We had her drive us to the Mayan Princess, where we paid $10 pp for use of their resort. The pool and grounds there are breathtaking. The beach and water are unbelievably beautiful.

Janet waited for us along w/what I assume to be some other drivers. She came around occasionally and asked us if everything was okay and if we needed anything.

After we left the beach, we took a short tour and went into town (was it called West side maybe?) This was a great place w/the small shops on a dirt road. She drove us around and showed us different areas, from the poorest to a big fancy mansion that they mayor lives in. Janet even stopped and bought us some freshly picked bananas from a local.

We asked to be back by 5pm and she had us there on the dot. She was very professional and friendly, informative and drove very safely. I would highly recommend her.

Roatan is definitely a place to return to and I would go back in a second. I recommend booking w/Victor just for the piece of mind that you will be taken care of for the day. It was well worth the $100 + tip for the 4 of us.

We just sailed the Legend on 6.1.

Because of the tropical storm, our itinerary was flipped. I was worried, as we had requested Tex, based on numerous reviews here. Well, even though we arrived a day earlier, they were ready for us.

Mini van was a newer one, immaculate, and I wasn't in the least bit anxious when we were being driven around (Unlike our experiences driving in Jamaica LOL).

My family was interested in seeing the 'real' Roatan, and our sons wanted to zipline. Tex told us afterward, he wouldn't take us to the extreme zip as they don't use safety lines :eek: and instead took my sons to south shore zip. they loved it. my husband and i opted to walk around half moon bay. we weren't in the least hungry (too bad-my husband was really hoping to taste local cuisine, and Tex offered to take him to places locals frequent). We did stop near his house, and watched the dolphin show. My husband wanted some green coconut (water and jelly) and tex found some, and later, when we went to this gorgeous beach (?), he had the security guard use his machete to open them for my husband.

We really enjoyed this day; wish we had more time, but felt we saw a lot of where locals live. I liked that the day was ours to decide what to do, and how accommodating and friendly he was.

Highly recommend this tour company; have heard wonderful things about other drivers, but to be honest, if we ever do go back, we WILL request Tex again.

We are going to be in Rotoan in October and we were looking into using victor and doing the ziplining. I was surprised to see that they wouldnt take you to the extreme zipline. Has anything changed with their tours for ziplining?

We are going to be in Rotoan in October and we were looking into using victor and doing the ziplining. I was surprised to see that they wouldnt take you to the extreme zipline. Has anything changed with their tours for ziplining?

My guess is that ever since that lady died ziplining in Roatan back in March that they're pretty careful about where they take you now.

Our particular guide, Tex, felt it was unsafe, and told us as much. He said that they didn't use a safety line, and that he wouldn't feel comfortable. I am sure, however, that if we had asked, he would have taken them there. Since we didn't specify, he took us to the one he felt most comfortable with (and had actually done).

I am sure if you'd prefer to do the extreme, any of the guides would take you...after all, you're paying them! :D

My guess is that ever since that lady died ziplining in Roatan back in March that they're pretty careful about where they take you now.

Tex shared with us that Gumbalimba-the park where the fatality occurred, is probably the safest place to zip, as they have replaced equipment and are a lot more stringent about following safety procedures. Apparently they weren't connected to both lines, and the guide went out to flip her upside down or some such (it was done to my son as well, i found out later!)

My sons said they felt safe, and they said both lines were utilized. They were also prepared to remind/tell the guide to hook up both in the event they forgot.

They said they loved doing it, but i am still glad i didn't!

;)

We just sailed the Legend on 6.1.

Because of the tropical storm, our itinerary was flipped. I was worried, as we had requested Tex, based on numerous reviews here. Well, even though we arrived a day earlier, they were ready for us.

Mini van was a newer one, immaculate, and I wasn't in the least bit anxious when we were being driven around (Unlike our experiences driving in Jamaica LOL).

My family was interested in seeing the 'real' Roatan, and our sons wanted to zipline. Tex told us afterward, he wouldn't take us to the extreme zip as they don't use safety lines :eek: and instead took my sons to south shore zip. they loved it. my husband and i opted to walk around half moon bay. we weren't in the least hungry (too bad-my husband was really hoping to taste local cuisine, and Tex offered to take him to places locals frequent). We did stop near his house, and watched the dolphin show. My husband wanted some green coconut (water and jelly) and tex found some, and later, when we went to this gorgeous beach (?), he had the security guard use his machete to open them for my husband.

We really enjoyed this day; wish we had more time, but felt we saw a lot of where locals live. I liked that the day was ours to decide what to do, and how accommodating and friendly he was.

Highly recommend this tour company; have heard wonderful things about other drivers, but to be honest, if we ever do go back, we WILL request Tex again.

Laurie Ann, I am so glad that you liked Tex. He was really good. I wished that we knew that we could watch the Dolphin show. We missed that but snorkeled instead. :D

We too flipped ports and were worried. Tex told us that the harbor master lets them know in case of port changes as soon as they know. Wished I would have known that all along. Gave us a few anxious moments. :eek:

We too flipped ports and were worried. Tex told us that the harbor master lets them know in case of port changes as soon as they know. Wished I would have known that all along. Gave us a few anxious moments. :eek:

Heh, you weren't the only one anxious. ;) I was freaking out until I talked to someone on our roll call that told us they talked to Victor who said there wouldn't be any problems for any of us with our tours through him on Roatan.

One of the purser's let me use their phone to call Yhony in Belize to make sure we were still set for the cavetubing. I definitely had some anxious moments before then.

Heh, you weren't the only one anxious. ;) I was freaking out until I talked to someone on our roll call that told us they talked to Victor who said there wouldn't be any problems for any of us with our tours through him on Roatan.

One of the purser's let me use their phone to call Yhony in Belize to make sure we were still set for the cavetubing. I definitely had some anxious moments before then.

I've been told by several that the cruise tour operators are all kept abreast of any changes. Major Tom was ready for us, as well....

Next time we cruise, I will definitely book independently again. It did wind up saving us a lot of money, plus we got some extras that the cruise based packages didn't get....!

Unfortunately, the purser's that I spoke with were not that helpful. It was my responsibility to find a way to communicate on my dime. I ended up sending an email through the internet cafe. That was the only non-service sector I ran across on the ship. The two that I spoke with were not interested in helping me. Thank goodness that was the exception. service otherwise was excellent.

Unfortunately, the purser's that I spoke with were not that helpful. It was my responsibility to find a way to communicate on my dime. I ended up sending an email through the internet cafe. That was the only non-service sector I ran across on the ship. The two that I spoke with were not interested in helping me. Thank goodness that was the exception. service otherwise was excellent.

I got the impression, prior to sailing that the locals who depend on cruises are all kept up to date with regard to changes. That does make sense-I am sure that the 'cruise approved' vendors probably do share the info. I know that when we came to cozumel, the Glory was there-an unscheduled stop to replace Belize. It was actually their second time there during the cruise-since they couldn't go to Belize, the decision was made to go back to cozumel-

anyway---several stores have signs that list cruise ships in port, and sure enough, the Glory was listed....

I was a little worried, but then decided that there had to be some way for all of these ports to get the info, and pass it along-which is precisely what happened. I didn't bother with trying to contact anyone-figured when i got there, i'd deal with whatever situation presented itself. I DID bring the emails that were sent confirming our tour.

I won't ever hesitate again to use independents, that's for sure!

We used Victor back in Jan. 08 and it was our favorite excursion of the cruise, as far as being personable and informative. Ali was our guide and he was sooo kind. He talked to us during the drive (in a nice small, air conditioned car) about history, culture and politics, but not to the point where you wanted to say "Shut up and let us just enjoy!" He tried very hard to squeeze in everything during our short time there (NCL Spirit, the engine problem made us arrive around 2:00) and succeeded! He even helped my husband negotiate some cigars.

FYI, we did ziplining, Victor's house, West End sunset and overlook for photos and some limited shopping, then had a few beers. Well worth it on all fronts (well, except maybe the shopping).

I love this kind of tour and wish it were easier (and as affordable) to get that kind in all ports.

We will be in Roatan next Friday (can't wait!) and I was wondering what you folks did about tipping? How much is reasonable?

TIA!

My husband was really impressed with Tex...and gave him $50. It cost us $100 for the four of us for the day, so we thought 150 was pretty reasonable!

VICTOR IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I booked with Victor's tours just a few weeks prior to my June 8th cruise. I was so very fortunate to actually land VICTOR as our personal guide while on the LEGEND that set sail on June 8th. He was an excellent guide and took us everywhere that was planned; ziplining, monkeys, beaches, and my very favorite, the planned orphanage visit. Roaten is by far my favorite spot and I am planning to go back again this next time via Air and of course hook up with Victor to tour once again.

You will NOT be dissapointed. He is a wonderful person.

All my best, Karen

VICTOR IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I booked with Victor's tours just a few weeks prior to my June 8th cruise. I was so very fortunate to actually land VICTOR as our personal guide while on the LEGEND that set sail on June 8th. He was an excellent guide and took us everywhere that was planned; ziplining, monkeys, beaches, and my very favorite, the planned orphanage visit. Roaten is by far my favorite spot and I am planning to go back again this next time via Air and of course hook up with Victor to tour once again.

You will NOT be dissapointed. He is a wonderful person.

All my best, Karen

We loved what we saw of Roatan...we plan on doing a land trip-we are considering retiring out of the country (near the beach, of course) and this is on the short list! (of course, we're about 20 yrs off, of course!)