Insurance? Yes or No

scrappycat

Absolutely....what happens if god forbid something happens and you can't go? You lose all your money. I went on a 2 night cruise and took out insurance. It doesn't cost that much and it certainly costs very little compared to how much you would lose if you had to cancel at the last minute.

it depends on your risk comfort level. i've never bought it for the short cruises, but i did for my most recent one since i was going to be gone over a month.

don't buy the cruiselines insurance. look at insuremytrip.com. the rates are reasonable.

I'm sure opinions will very...but YES!!! Absolutely...you will never forgive yourself if something were to happen on your vacation and you weren't covered...I hate to say it, but things happen....Case in point: my uncle was hit by a car on his last cruise in Italy..luckily, his insurance covered his medical expenses, and all other expenses incurred due to the accident. Sorry to be a downer, but in my opinion, get the insurance =oD

I never cruise without it. Besides the obvious, flights,cruise cost, luggage there is the chance I break my leg the day before the cruise, can't go and don't want to lose all that money. Have never had to use it but Murphy's law says, the 1st time I go without I will need it.

Four days before our last cruise my dh suddenly needed his gallbladder removed!

The man never had anything wrong his enitre life and then has a major thing right before our big trip!

We did manage to go on our cruise (and really take it easy) but I was worried about the potential need for him to return home should he have any unforeseen complications.

After that experience, I NOW say to everyone, buy a cheap policy if you are trying to keep your cost down but don't go without - give yoursel that peace of mind.

As previously mentioned don't buy it from the cruise company. Too expensive for the amount of coverage.

I have always used insuremytrip.com. Lots to choose from there.

Have a great trip!

Jan

Never bought it, never needed it... ok I did have a $25 bag damaged on my last cruise...

My insurance through work covers my family internationally for emergencies, I deal with cancelled flights on my own.

The only thing that would be an issue for me is medical evac, but I don't wear special gear to protect me against lightening strikes either, the odds are about the same. If I had to pay for a med-evac I could.

...now my parents, I have cruised with them without insurance, and will never do it again, too risky given their age and health.

Here is the question....what if you could not go on your cruise and still had to pay for it? Is that ok with you? That will be your answer. Things happen. It's a matter of do you mind paying for a cruise (or partial depending on when you cancel) you don' take.

Crap happens. I know someone whose house was broken into the night before her cruise, no joke. She didn't make it on her cruise because she was dealing with changing her locks, filing police reports, etc. that day and couldn't make it to the pier.

So many possibilities, that is what insurance is for....the unforseen circumstances.

Ok if you can swallow the cost of loosing you cruise you might not take a comprehensive type BUT NEVER LEAVE WITHOUT MEDICAL COVERAGE THAT INCLUDES AIRLIFTS (oh and these take around 35.000 USD for are caribbean airlift depending on how far out the ship is)

New cruiser here...My sisters and I are wanting to do a 4 day cruise to celebrate a birthday but are trying to keep costs down...is the insurance necessary? Thanks!

Depends where to.... If you do not have elderly sick parents, health problems yourself, then probably not. You also have to think about where you are going and if you had to fly home for an emergency.. are you willing to have to pick up the expense.

Insurance.... something you will wish you had when you need it.

Last airlift I witnessed was a passenger young and healthy that had fallen down stairs. that air lift was over 100K according to one of the officers I spoke with at the time.

THAT is the reason for insurance not a lost bag or delay. Sure those are inconvenient but the other is life shattering. and medical care in foreign countries is pay first.

On the other coverage fronts last year we got back into port the day of the East Coast blizzard. it was going to be several days before they could get us a seat on a plane and I am handicapped, we ended up renting a van and driving from Ft. Laud. to Mass. Insurance reimbursed our expenses for that.

I wouldn't book a cruise without insurance. Our TA says he likes CSA, I guess he has customers that actually had to use it and were very happy. It is not that much more.

We were on the Radiance in November and a couple had to be evacuated off of the ship using a tug boat, they thought it his appendix.

Archived