You should all be ashamedof yourselves…

Jackalopes

A couple months ago I was a perfectly normal, well adjusted 46 year old male. At peace with myself, nonobsesive, carefree and not overly concerned with what the future may hold for my wife & I.

Now, after booking my very first cruise (entirely online I might add, I have yet to even speak to the person who has billed my credit card for my greatest charge to date) I have apparently begun to lose touch with reality. I check this website 6-8 times a day (as I do my roll call, I didn’t even know what a roll call was a few weeks ago). I find myself fantasying about excursions I never knew existed and I now have a countdown clock on both my home and work computers (another item I did not existed). I have read more reviews, and comments about, soda cards, naked sun bathers, smuggling booze, the price of removing a cork, captains clubs, butlers, night owls and other things I am afraid to admit.

Worse yet, I DON”T EVEN HAVE MY DOCS YET! I have 29 days, 17 hours, 56 minutes and 33 seconds to go and I AM THINKING ABOUT PACKING! If I could bring an iron and they provided an ironing board, all my stuff would be in a suit case getting wrinkled.

I hope you are all proud of what you have turned me into…

YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!

Just think, if you had used an agent, you would have someone to call and ask all kinds of questions. And keep asking about the Docs. And the big one Keep askin Are we there yet.

Happy Sailing, I didn't show this much excitment until my third crusie. I wonder where you will be in a few years.:D

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .........you think this is something, wait until the second from last day on your cruise. When you start to walk by the future cruise desk every 20 minutes, "just to see if it is busy" and as time goes by you begin to sweat because you know you must book before you depart.

.and then it begins...........welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

LOL, I've been feeling much the same way. I call myself a cruise junkie and I've only been on one short cruise to date. Now I have THREE planned within the next year with three different cruise lines and totally different itineraries. I find myself constantly checking this site to read new threads, calling different places to get quotes, and looking at the stateroom layouts and deck plans again and again. I'm starting to know which cruise line is being referred to just by the name of the ship. I go to the bookstore and buy books on cruising and ports of call. I talk about it at work so much that people are sick of me.

But at least I'm glad to know this is normal behavior!!!

Yes I too have entered the strange twilight zone of cruising. We are taking our 2nd cruise ever from Venice to Barcelona on Sept 18, 2004. I am ashamed to say that this site is the first place I go to after work, first thing in the morning, sneak many peeks during my work day and usually spend most of my evenings wading through the threads. It's crazy but I just can't get enough!

I admit - I am hooked -- Got 4 Cruises booked right now (53 days at sea) and watching the website for the 2006s to come out. I now read 4 rollcalls and now it to the point I forget which one is which and who is going with us.

LOL -- when that dam bug bites it hard to get rid of.

We just got back from our 4th cruise, can't say I'm an expert but I'm working on it. Planning a trip to the Med. next summer, I don't think that I could make it that long :eek:. My problem is I only get three weeks of vacation a year :( . Only twenty five years before I retire :D :D

Jackalopes, thanks for the laugh. Good one!:D

I posted on this board some time ago how the same thing was happening to me and how worried I was about it. I received some sympathy, some good advice and some advice that didn't help me at all.

Now here I am at 6am local time ON A WEEKEND, waiting for Constellation to appear on the Geiranger, Norway webcam! So you see, a lot of that good advice was to just go with the flow and not to worry as I wasn't alone.:D

Have a great first cruise. That will most likely become another addiction for you. It has for me.

Phil:)

Wait until your first morning home and you are taking your shower and the room starts rocking and you look out the bathroom window to see just what port you are sailing into and you start crying cause the only water in site is in your shower.

Jackalopes,

Loved your post and completely understand!!!

I discovered these boards a couple of weeks ago and now I also check in two or three times a day.

After reading your post this evening, I just had to join in on all this fun! (This is my first post.)

I've learned a lot from all these Celebrity "veterans" and laughed a lot in the process of reading the boards. After info I learned here, I changed our cabin. We're taking our first Celebrity cruise in February on the Mercury.

As my DH says, "It's such a privilege to be able to step aboard a beautiful ship!"

I'm also counting the days. Have a great cruise...the addiction has just begun...

Great Post

Just about sums us all up very well.

We were not particularly looking forward to our first cruise as we worried that it was not the holiday for us.

This is now our fourth and we are similarly "hooked"

Happy cruising

Gail

Jackalopes, great post and welcome to the club from a relatively new member!!! We took our first cruise last Jan., booked immediately for our next one this coming Jan. and now I'm frustrated because I can't book our 2006 yet! Unfortunately I only have 1 week of vacation per year (new job) now but the dreaming and planning helps. It's a great group here on the boards and when you return you will be one of the experienced cruisers and be helping the new guys and sharing with us all things that we may not have discovered.

Archived