Travel The World with Bill & Mary Ann HAL's Grand World Voyage 2007

WCB

Report # 90 5-16-07 Really Home!!

When we bought a small bird in a cage that sang unexpectantly when you made a noise, he laughed for days. Then we added another decorative birdcage in Hong Kong with 2 birds. He even offered to take care of them when we went to the Taj Mahal for four days!!

They let you bring live birds on board? I'm surprised by that. What happened to the birds at the end of the cruise? Did you find homes for them? Bring them home? Were they quarrantined?

Hi Photodoodle!

Oops! We thought that everyone would understand that the birds were not real.

The first birdcage we bought was in the Chinese Market in Sydney. When you clapped your hands, the bird would go in circles singing a song (with batteries, of course)!

And the second cage we bought in Hong Kong at the Bird Market. It was decoratively carved from wood, and actually used as a cage for finches for the locals. We added two little imitation birds, which looked real. We attached them to the outside of the cage.

Our room steward said they reminded him of his home in Sumatera. That's why he volunteered to "take care of them" while we were away!

Hope this makes more sense now.

Bill & Mary Ann

We just discovered that a few of the wooden souveniers we bought in Bali and Java have bugs! Namely, they are the puppet dolls and wooden carvings.

Knowing from a previous experience, we have bagged them and placed them in our freezer for a few months. That seemed to do the trick.

Better check your treasures just in case!

Bill & Mary Ann

We just discovered that a few of the wooden souveniers we bought in Bali and Java have bugs! Namely, they are the puppet dolls and wooden carvings.

Knowing from a previous experience, we have bagged them and placed them in our freezer for a few months. That seemed to do the trick.

Better check your treasures just in case!

Bill & Mary Ann

Thanks Bill and Mary Ann for the heads up. So far none of my masks, puppets or wood carvings have exhibited signs of bug infestation but I have bought "stuff" elsewhere before that has. I didn't know about the freezer "trick" - thanks for that valuable information.

See you again aboard the Amsterdam on July 27th for that anniversary cruise (actually I'll probably see you the night before at the dinner). I know that there is another lady with whom I did crafts almost every day on the GWV who is also going on that cruise and I imagine that we will see even more familiar faces. It should be a lot of fun.

Valerie:)

Handler got carried away when they started selling the puppets for 2 for $5, so we have a pretty large collection. We may have to rent a cold storage locker somewhere because I don't think they will all fit in the freezer.

Leslie

Hi Leslie & Handler,

If you don't see the tell-tale sign of a flour-like pile of wood dust under the doll or mask, then maybe you have clean ones. The dolls we bought in 2005 had none, but some masks did. These insects seem to be in the softer wood, like the sticks that control the dolls.

We also noticed the distinct smell of gasoline on the masks we bought. The natives probably use that to kill the insects, but obviously, it doesn't work all of the time.

Valerie,

We will look for you at the Seattle dinner! Eight days will be nice..........a lot less packing, right?

Mary Ann & Bill

• 6 years later...