Missed Flight home?

kidcruisers

I'm sure that depends on the airline and how you acquired your tickets. If you paid for them through the airline, they'll probably be a lot more willing to work with you then if you booked through the cruise or used flyer miles, etc.

If it's the cruise line's fault I would expect them to pay, but if you bought the flights and either booked too early a flight, or did not get to the terminal on time, then it would depend on the type of ticket you bought.

Regardless of how you acquired your tickets, on a return flight on a roundtrip tickets you can be re-booked on the next available flight. This might be tricky because assuming you have checked luggage, you won't be able to standby for a flight (if the flights are all full).

IF you miss the first flight of a roundtrip ticket the airline cancels out your entire itinerary. Then you have trouble.

In 8-02, Golden Princess was 6 hrs late into NYC, having run into two large storms during its trans-Atlantic crossing.

In my opinion, Princess stepped up to the bat, rescheduled flights, and put several hundred us up in hotels w/meals, until we could fly out, the next day.

I had my flight home cancelled due to airport closure, snowstorm! We were in Puerto Rico with no available hotel rooms as this was the 2nd day of cancelled flights on the northeast. So we flew into our layover airport stayed in an airport hotel for the night and caught an early morning flight into Boston the next day. This really worked to our advantage as if we'd stayed in Puerto Rico (in the airport on the floor) we'd had to have stayed an additional night as the cancelled flights from the day before us had priority.

Anyways, I always book with insurance. I submitted the hotel, meals and transportation from airport to home to the insurance company and was promptly reimbursed. We incurred no additional charges from the airlines, we booked our air travel with the cruise ticket.

As mentioned above, if Princess books, then Princess will take care of all the new arrangements including hotel and meals and transportion to the hotel and airport if you have booked transfers even if you dont have Princess or other insurance (as happened to us in Vancouver). If you booked your own air and ship is late, Princess MAY reimburse you for part of your extra cost (as happened to us in FLL -- Delta waived the $25 it charges for same day change in flight). If the problem is with the airline or airport, most airline will not pay for expenses but re-schedule you (TV images of airport full of pax)!. Travel insurance covers only $500 for trip delay portion (including expenses and charges for re-issue of tickets) -- read the coverage provided very carefully. /Sultan

I missed a flight post cruise a few years ago. My flight had been booked through the cruiseline. I was given the next available seat, which unfortunately was 12 hours later, but it was in business class. I was not charged anything because I had been booked through the cruiseline. The other thing I need to mention is I was sailing solo. If I had been traveling with a partner, only one of us would have gotten home that day because that was absolutely the only seat available on any airline into our airport.

Jet Blue's policy is that if you don't make your flight and don't reschedule before the time of the flight, the ticket is forfeit.

I don't know how they handle situations like this, but be forewarned - if you have a tight connection, go online and get your ticket time changed.

Roberta

Excellent Point. When our long Transatlantic cruise (CPH-FLL) was delayed, Princess allowed pax free satellite calls from the ship. We informed the airline that we would NOT make our flight but did not reschedule but told the airline we would get to the airport and try to get on any available flight. This was OK with the airline. /Sultan

Jet Blue's policy is that if you don't make your flight and don't reschedule before the time of the flight, the ticket is forfeit.

I don't know how they handle situations like this, but be forewarned - if you have a tight connection, go online and get your ticket time changed.

Roberta

Archived