Palma de Mallorca - Driver? Attractions?

We were just there in September but did not go to Soller. I thought that Palma de Mallorca was lovely and easy to do on your own. You can do the (long) walk around the harbor to the edge of the old town, or you can take a cab. The cathedral is very nice. I was on Oceania, so the local tourist officials came on the ship in every port to provide maps to us. The tourist official marked a wonderful walking tour for us on their map. We found some real gems like the arab baths that had beautiful gardens. If you are interested in buying pearls, note that almost all the stores will be closed for siesta from approx 1:30 until approx 3:30. I can look up the name of the shop where I bought mine if you need that information. The shop was in the main shopping district near El Corte Ingles. I didn't see a lot of leather in Palma de Mallorca and had hoped to see more (I missed an opportunity to buy some leather I wanted in Santiago de Compestella due to the siesta closings). We also did the carriage ride but could have skipped that because we walked some of the same streets. We thought this was a lovely and scenic addition to the cruise, so I hope you enjoy it too.

Donna

In six hours, you probably don't have the time to do the train ride to Soller: the train itself is pretty slow (it's old), there aren't many trains per day, and the station in Palma is on the far side of the city centre from the port.

Palma itself is a wonderful city: not overwhelmed with history, though there is plenty there - the Cathedral, the Palace/Museum, the old city, the Arab Baths. But Palma is also a significant commercial, political & administrative city - it's a centre of regional government (capital of the Balearic Islands autonomous region) - and it has a population of over 300,000, so it has the level of cultural and commercial infrastructure that you'd expect. Think major (spanish) stores, designer boutiques, good museums & galleries. Plus of course good restaurants, street-side cafes & bars, and all the ambience that comes with cities beside the Mediterranean.

There's also Castell Belver, on the edge of town and overlooking the harbour, which is worth a look. Or you can go the other way and find a beach. I was at Illetes in September and had a good time.

Here are some pictures from a previous visit:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1925

of the few ships tours we are considering. We like to visit caves when we travel, plus have a teenager.

It's five hours, so possible an hour to walk around when we get back before the boarding the ship? I'd love to go to the Castle but can't do both if it's on top of a hill. Is the Cathedral anywhere walking from the ship?

Additionally we will be there on a Sunday. This tour included the Pearl Factory which is closed on Sunday.

Is there anyplace near the ship to buy pearls or is this not a good idea?

tom_uk - Thanks! Sounds like we should enjoy a relaxing time in Palma instead of running around like crazy. I didn't know about the shops and it sounds like pearls are the thing to get in Palma (correct?). Your pictures were great -- including those from Tunis and Palermo. Would I be able to get in touch with you about those two ports? If not, I have a couple of threads on those two ports that I would really appreciate your input on.

Debbieprof: thank you for your kind comments about the pictures. I did a review of the cruise on which I visited Palermo & Tunis, here:

http://www.cruisereviews.com/MediterraneanShippingCruises/Sinfonia1.htm

There's a fair amount of wordage in it, but there is a paragraph or so about each of Palermo & Tunis - look for the 'Ashore at....' sections. There's one other thing you need to know when you read my reviews: we're not shoppers at all, so this does tend to influence the way we spend our days on cruises & the excursions we choose.

Going back to Mallorca (and oh, I wish I could....), my personal feeling is given the time, you'd do best by restricting yourself to Palma or the near environs. This is frustrating, because Mallorca is in fact a wonderful island with many beautiful places to see. We've been there three times in recent years, only once on a cruise, and we've greatly enjoyed the opportunities to explore the island.

However, Palma is a fine town, and if I was going there for the first time I might try the following things:-

a) the Cathedral: a noble and beautiful building;

b) a wander round the old town, which handily is right next to the cathedral;

c) a snack or something in a street-side cafe;

d) a visit to a museum or gallery. One we particularly enjoyed was the former home/studio of J Torrents LLado. Here's a link to a website giving brief details about it:

http://www.mallorcaweb.com/exhibitions/museums/casa-museu-j-torrents-llado/

e) a quick look at some of the shops, especially one of the two branches of Spain's #1 department store, El Corte Ingres;

f) and a stroll down towards the harbour.

Jade13,

I last went to the Caves of Drach three years ago, having previously gone in 1976. They are stunning, with a great finale where a playing orchestra comes into an underground auditorium in boats via an underground river, and you then exit in boats on the same river.

Paul S

the Caves through the cruise line (I think $59pp) Doing a lot of other ports on our own or with a private driver. I did get confirmation from HAL that if all goes on schedule we should be back at 3:30pm and still some time to walk around town before the All on board at 5:30pm.

This should be nice since eberwhee else we are going is more sightseeing and a diversion for my 15 year old step daughter.

Having visited Palma and Mallorca many times here is my view. You would certainly not have time for Soller though it is a great trip unless you could find out what time the bus left Soller/Port d'Soller and take it back instead of the train.

Palma has plenty to keep people busy. I would take the bus from the port to the cathedral. It goes along the front past the Marina. The cathedral is next a museum and as already stated near shopping streets. Find a Spanish retaurant and try some local dishes or tapas. It is possible to walk back but unless you are fit it is a long way. I think the bus is number 1 but you can check on the TIB website.

The caves are a good trip but if you are tight for time do it on your next visit. Mallorcan pearls are manmade and that is what you see in the factory. I'd rather get the real thing!

Hope this helps if you want to know anything else just ask.

For a tapas type lunch there is a square which I think is called Plas de Major and there are lots of little eating places there. Celler Sa Premsa is a good restaurant and also the restaurant beside it - sorry don't know it's name.

http://www.cellersapremsa.com

The tourist office is next where you get the train to Soller and bus station. They have a great free map. I think it is in the Plaza de Espana

Anything else just ask.

We've had some excellent meals at a couple of the 'Cappuccino' cafes/restaurants/bistros in Mallorca. There are several in Palma itself, but we've mainly used the one in Palau March, which is very central and very close to the cathedral. We had a lunch here once, very tasty, and also a dinner - rather smarter during the evening. (They're pretty smart all day, to be truthful.) And on another occasions we had a lunch at the one at Port d'Andratx, immediately overlooking the harbour and the boats. Wonderful.

Not especially Mallorcan, I suppose, but very good and reasonably priced.

Here's their website:-

http://www.grupocappuccino.com/

Select 'Cappuccino' on the left to see these restaurants.

We did exactly that in May 2005. We got a cab to the castle, then walked into Palma, and got a cab back.

To be honest there didn't appear to be any taxis waiting for business at the castle. There might be a bus stop, but I don't know which route or where it goes. When we left we walked down a path (not the road) that drops down the hill immediately below the castle; this winds its way through some light woodland, then out onto to the roads. It's easy then to make your way down to the marine parade (Passeig Maritim), from where you can stroll either back to the ship or onwards into Palma. It's about 30 minutes walk into Palma from that point (perhaps less back to the ship), which is do-able, albeit you can get a bit hot. When you reach the streets at the bottom of the descent you cross several bus routes: on Av. Joan Miro and again on Passeig Maritim, so you can get a bus in either direction if you want. Palma has a single flat fare anywhere in the city so you can pay & then jump off wherever you want.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if we can get a bus from Palma to Arenal and if so how far is it. Our Ship has a bike tour there but we don't want to cycle. We were in Arenal in 1969 and would love to go back and see what it is like nowadays

Looks the no. 15 city bus goes to Arenal. Here's a link to a page about Palma city buses:

http://emt.palmademallorca.es/EMTPalma/Front/listadolineas.en.svr

I've not been to Arenal, but I imagine it must have changed since 1969! Also I was under the impression that these days that side of Palma Bay is predominantly the German side - the other side, Magaluf/Palma Nova, is the Brit side. But I could well be wrong - I just heard that somewhere.

What do you suggest on a Sunday? I thought I read that the castle is closed as well as the museum inside the Cathedral.

Also, are th pearls inexpensive? I know they are fake and I have the real stuff. I was wondering if it's worth buying a bracelet?

Thanks. I'll check the bus times and also see if we have time to go to Arenal. We do not fly out till 6.30pm in the evening so I presume we can take a short trip in the morning. We have a full day in Palma between our Maiden Voyage and the next week of our Cruise.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Also, are th pearls inexpensive? I know they are fake and I have the real stuff. I was wondering if it's worth buying a bracelet?
There are definitely different qualities of pearls, and there are fake pearls. You will find some of each in Mallorca, and the prices range accordingly. If you are looking for the fakes, you want the Majorica brand of pearls.

To answer the question on the bracelet, I bought one that was alternating black and white pearls with a nice clasp that was approx 60 Euros. I liked the designs best at a pearl store down the block from the El Corte Ingles chain department store (the one I shopped is on the same side of the street as El Corte Ingles, and there is another one across the street). Note that the stores in this area close for siesta from approx 1:30 p.m. until 3:30 p.m.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived