Electrical Outlets on Spirit?

Momof2kids

I've read that the Spirit is mostly 220v. Are there any 110v outlets in the cabins and/or are converters available from the cabin steward? (We'll need to plug in a nightlight and/or digital clock.)

Thanks!

There is one but bring a power strip so you can plug in both. 500 WATT max so leave the hair dryer home or get one that runs on 220. Need a converter, bring your own.

Thanks, Shoreguy!

I don't even use a hair-dryer, so don't need to worry about that. But a nightlight came in handy on our last cruise to make sure that DS didn't step on DH or I when he got out of the Pullman bed to use the restroom at 2 a.m.

I may look into buying a converter, just in case.

We stayed in a balcony room last May on the Spirit. We had 1 outet next to the balcony door. I don't recall there being one by the TV, but I may have missed that one. They do not take much voltage though. We had a power strip, if we tried to charge our phones and use the laptop it would pop the breaker.

We stayed in a balcony room last May on the Spirit. We had 1 outet next to the balcony door. I don't recall there being one by the TV, but I may have missed that one. They do not take much voltage though. We had a power strip, if we tried to charge our phones and use the laptop it would pop the breaker.

FWIW, we had 2 outside oceanview cabins on deck 6, and like I stated, the only 110v outlet was near the TV area.

This may sound like a stupid question, but it's early and I haven't had my coffee . . .

What is the difference between 220v and 110v? Is the plug for the appliance different? Do I need to be concerned about what appliances I bring?

This may sound like a stupid question, but it's early and I haven't had my coffee . . .

What is the difference between 220v and 110v? Is the plug for the appliance different? Do I need to be concerned about what appliances I bring?

In the U.S. and Canada, household current is 110-120 volts. In much of the rest of the world, the voltage used is 220-240 volts. The plugs for appliances are different in some places, though I don't know about the Spirit.

The Spirit originally sailed out of Asia and so it was outfitted with 220 voltage. I believe it was later outfitted with some 110 outlets, but as posters mentioned above, they aren't able to handle larger wattage appliances (like a hairdryer).

If you use a 110 electrical appliance in a 220 outlet, you'll probably fry the appliance. You can easily buy a voltage converter so that you can use your 110 appliances in the 220 outlets.

In our balcony stateroom, there was a 110 outlet in the bathroom labeled "shaver only" as well as a 110 (up to 500 watts) and 220 outlet by the desk/vanity. I bought a converter but it wouldn't fit in the 220 outlet, so I had to use the blow dryer that's provided (in the bathroom). WAY too hot for my fine hair!

No need to worry about plugging your electricals into the wrong outlet. They are completely different shapes/sizes.

FWIW we found that leaving the bathroom light on with the door mostly closed worked well as a nightlight.

There is one but bring a power strip so you can plug in both. 500 WATT max so leave the hair dryer home or get one that runs on 220. Need a converter, bring your own.

I'll be sailing on the Spirit in June - the cabins don't have a blowdryer???

Barbara from Philly

Barbara from Philly

There's a hair dryer mounted on the wall in every bathroom, but it's not anything like what you might normally be used to. It's almost like a tube of hot air lol.

Barbara from Philly

There's a hair dryer mounted on the wall in every bathroom, but it's not anything like what you might normally be used to. It's almost like a tube of hot air lol.

Is this a standard 220 to 110 volt UK converter?

Flat blades or round pins?

Also, any ideas where one can be picked up in a hurrry as we are leaving tomorrow.

Thanks

radio shakc or Wallmart should probably have them. I don't remember which 220 plug type was used. I think round but don't quote me. Many time you can buy the converters in kits that will have multiple options. This might be your best bet.

Thanks, I did some searching after I posted the question and found out that Radio Shack carries them in the stores. The have different capacity ratings depending on what you are using it for. Up to 50 watt for 20.00, 50 wattt to 1600 watt for 22.00, and also a 4 pack of various adapters for different pin shapes for 15.00.

Bought them all just in case.

Archived