Infinity 5/20/07 cancelled!

SPRAGUS

Hi Spragus,

Can't specifically comment on why the cruise was cancelled, but I suggest you go to the roll call and ask.

As far as multiple posts, the boards have been a bit screwy and it is easy to think a post hasn't gone through, only to later find it has. I often have to exit completely and then come back to verify if a post has been successfull.

Don't pay any attention to folks who jump your case. Fast Freddie, that is hardly the way to welcome newbies to our boards and encourage participation.

We're glad you are here and hope we can all make your cruising preparation and experience better.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Thanks, I will try the roll call.

Hi Spragus,

Can't specifically comment on why the cruise was cancelled, but I suggest you go to the roll call and ask.

As far as multiple posts, the boards have been a bit screwy and it is easy to think a post hasn't gone through, only to later find it has. I often have to exit completely and then come back to verify if a post has been successfull.

Don't pay any attention to folks who jump your case. Fast Freddie, that is hardly the way to welcome newbies to our boards and encourage participation.

We're glad you are here and hope we can all make your cruising preparation and experience better.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I am on the Infinity from San Francisco on May 7 and ends on May 20 in Vancouver so I was also curious. I went into Celebrities web site and it says that it is all sold out. Who knows. All cabin level say that is sold out.

marilyn

Yes my travel agent told me last thursday that he heard the 5/20 Alaska Infinity cruise was indeed cancelled. apparently going into dry dock.....again. This is actually the second cancelled Infinity for us this year so we are switching to the Mercury on 5/18 also out of Vancouver. My hubby says that if they cancel another one on us we may own the line...:)

darcy

I am on the Infinity from San Francisco on May 7 and ends on May 20 in Vancouver so I was also curious. I went into Celebrities web site and it says that it is all sold out. Who knows. All cabin level say that is sold out.

marilyn

Well- here's a guess. Perhaps Infinity is going in for maintenance at Victoria (near Vancouver). My wife and I cruised aboard Infinity in her inaugural season on June 1, 2001 for a Vancouver-Alaska-Vancover cruise. The following cruise was cancelled so that Infinity could go into dry dock in Victoria for emergency repairs on what were then brand-new GTS transmissions. It made big local news since it was a very impressive job by the marine maintenance folks in Victoria.

Anyhow, given their experience with Infinity, I wonder maybe if she isn't going in for maintenance?

Kupe

How do you know it is cancelled?

Friends of our were booked on the 5/20/07 sailing. Celebrity notified them but gave no reason. They received their deposit back and a free future sailing. They chose the 5/27/07 sailing without a problem booking.

SPRAGUS,

Anyone know why Celebrity cancelled the 5/20/07 sailing of the Infinity to Alaska?

This is probably for installation of the new auxilliary diesel generator, which apparently supplies hotel loads more economically than the ship's gas turbine generators when the ship is in port.

Norm.

darcyj,

Yes my travel agent told me last thursday that he heard the 5/20 Alaska Infinity cruise was indeed cancelled. apparently going into dry dock.....again. This is actually the second cancelled Infinity for us this year so we are switching to the Mercury on 5/18 also out of Vancouver. My hubby says that if they cancel another one on us we may own the line...:)

Here, the assumption that the ship is going into drydock is completely unwarranted, though she probably is going into a shipyard. The parent company has announced plans to install auxilliary diesel generators on all of the company's gas turbine ships to cut the cost of supplying electricity for hotel loads when the ship is in port. Gas turbine generators are very inefficient when operating at less than full load, so a diesel generator that's "right sized" for normal hotel loads would cut fuel consumption substantially. The ships must go into a shipyard for the installation, but there's no need for a drydock.

A drydock, for those who don't know, is a facility configured to take a vessel out of the water. The basic set-up is similar to a lock in a canal, but it has a gate or caisson at just one end and relies upon mechanical pumps rather than gravity feed to lower the water level. Putting a vessel into a drydock is very costly. The shipyard must pump out the drydock to set up keel blocks to support the weight of the vessel, then flood the drydock and open the caisson to bring the vessel in, then close the caisson, align the vessel very precisely and hold it in alignment with guy lines as they pump out the drydock so that it will rest on the keel blocks, and secure the guy lines to stabilize the vessel once it is resting on the keel blocks. They also need to rig a temporary supply of water to the ship's firemains because there's no supply of sea water to the firepumps, temporary sources of electricity for lights, ventillation, and other needs because the ship's generators usually depend upon the ocean for cooling water. None of this is necessary if the yard does the work at a normal "fitting out" pier where the ship remains in the water. Thus, one simply does not put a vessel into drydock for work that the shipyard can do at a "fitting out" pier!

Norm.

Archived