Identification in port

What identification is required to be carried into port? What additional information or identification would you also carry with you?

We have water excursions planned and would rather leave our passports and other paper documents in our safe. If we have to take them with us, do most places have lockers where we could safely store them?

Thanks for your help.

Without knowing which ships or which ports you will be visiting it is difficult to completely answer your inquiry. At a minimum you will need to carry your seapass and probably a government issued photo id such as a driver's license. A water wallet or water proof bag would probably protect your passport or other form of identification, and in the unlikely event that you miss the ship, having that passport on you might be invaluable in enabling you to leave the port of call with a minimum of delay and go on to meet the ship at its next port or to return home to the US. I would also carry some cash and/or a credit card to pay for incidentals during your port visit.:)

Here's what we carry onshore.

Sea Pass card of course.

Credit card.

Cash for cabs, eats, drinks, tips etc...

A black & white copy (color is illegal) of our passports.

Waterproof container for everything if we go on a water excursion or to the beach.

In the event one of us should be injured or become ill, we'd have the means and identification to get back home.

Sorry for the lack of total information and thanks for your reply.

ST Thomas, St Marteen, and Puerto Rico.

Thanks again.

Your ships daily paper, the Cruise Compass, will tell you what type of ID you need to take ashore for your ports.

If you plan on taking your license on the cruise with you that is good. I would suggest that you do. We also take a wallet size copy of our Passports.

We have been spot checked for a photo ID to get back on some piers. I don't ever remember them doing that in the ports you mention, but it isn't RCCL who makes these decisions, but the port people.

I know for sure we have been asked for photo ID in Aruba and Nassau.

As long as the world is great and smiles on you, S&S and drivers lic. If the world does not smile on you and are unlucky or stupid, S&S, drivers lic, passport and credit card or lots of money. There are no ands or buts anymore. Something bad happens these are the items you will need.

A black & white copy (color is illegal) of our passports.

It is only illegal for a 3rd party to make a color copy of your passport. Which is why copying places like Kinko's will not do it. You can make color copies yourself. I always scan in a copy on my computer and email it to myself.

We've never taken anything but our seapass and driver's lic. Passport is only needed to return to the U.S by road or air.

In an emergency, you will be able to return to the US without your passport, but there is a process involved and you probably will not enjoy or appreciate the delay involved if it is a true emergency, and unless you are stranded in Canada or Mexico, that land transit should be interesting. ;) Your passport won't do you much good sitting in your stateroom safe if you miss the ship, and with proper precautions, it is safe and probably better to carry it with you when you go ashore.

We usually bring color copy of our passports which are Cdn. and self made, along with CC ( usually our backup one ) and an expired driver's lincence unless I plan to do a car rental then I bring the current one. You must always bring your ship's card to get off and on the ship. Some country, like Costa Rica, require foreign visitor to carry their actual passports at all times if one is required to enter the country.

I also reduce the copy size of my passport, and then I laminate it. I have had my waterwallet leak. I know it isn't as good as my real passport, but it is better than none at all. (I have seen movies :D , and I am SURE that the local embassy would help me out. (If there were one!))

We've never taken anything but our seapass and driver's lic. Passport is only needed to return to the U.S by road or air.

Actually it is only required to have a passport if currently one isn't needed ( such as for Cdn. ) to enter or for American to return to the US by AIR as of Jan.23/07. The requirement for land and ship returns has been put off until a future unspecified date according to information advertised in Cdn. newspapers by the Cdn. Federal Gov't.

We can't fly in to the US from Canada without one as of that date but can cross the border by car and say fly out of Buffalo,NY to another US destination.

ok I don't understand what is a copy of your passport is worth?

I think it would help facilitate the authorities verify my identity, if needed. I may be completely clueless, but it makes me feel better to have the copy. :)

its proof you have one and can expedite getting a replacement.

OK, I could see how it could help with expediting a replacement because you would have your passport number but I figured it isn't proof of anything. Any one with a scanner and photoshop could create a copy with a different picture, etc.

Thanks,

OK, I could see how it could help with expediting a replacement because you would have your passport number but I figured it isn't proof of anything. Any one with a scanner and photoshop could create a copy with a different picture, etc.

Thanks,

I've had my pasport copy accepted as ID when exchanging TC for local currency at banks and for purchases in stores while visiting Mexico, Costa Rica and in other Places.

You can easily get a phoney driver's licence or even a passport for the right money.

Until I read this post it never thought about it. I know that we were in costa rica docked next to a hal. RCI said to bring your sea pass and the Hal which would could hear told them to take their sea pass and a picture ID. I know the compass always says what you need. I know at least once I was told sea pass and picture ID. I aruba this last trip the port authority was asking some people for passports along with their seapass. we had just left the dock when I looked at my husband and said we didn't bring ours because rci didn't tell us to. We didn't have a problem going back so I don't know why they were asking the other people. AFter reading what you said I think from now on I will at least carry a copy with me along with my license which does have my picture. I am glad you brought up this question.

ok I don't understand what is a copy of your passport is worth?

I always leave my orginal in a safe and carry a copy of my passport. One time in Crakow, Poland the local police wanted to see "any papers" I may have.:eek: (we won't go into the reason why) I showed them my copy and after a conference with his superior they let me on my way. The copy was sufficient thank God!! (Black and white copy I might add):)

Archived