New England and Canada temps. Can you swim??

ocwave

We did an early July New England/Canada cruise a few years ago and we had a lot of cool foggy and rainy weather, and the days that were clear tended to be a bit windy. On the sunny days it would be warm enough to sunbathe if you were sheltered, I guess. Our cruise included Martha's Vineyard, and that day was exceedingly pleasant -- just about perfect weather.

I think that the weather on this route can be extremely variable. You might get a lot of really pleasant warm days, but I'd definitely bring a sweater or polarfleece and a wind/rain jacket along as well as some long pants. We saw some folks really shivering.

Every year on January 1st, hundreds of locals jump in the Charles River in Boston. It is a long standing tradition started by the L-Street Brownies (not the Girl Scout Org). Many wear Santa hats. It always makes a great news story.

I live in the Boston area and I wouldn't even try in June. Well maybe after 5 or 6 cold ones and no restroom in sight!:D:D:D

My guess, no, it would not be warm enough to swim in the pools since they're filled from the ocean and have to warm in the sun, but then, I wouldn't go in the Atlantic in VA Beach in July, it wasn't warm enough for me to give you a reference. The hot tubs OTOH, sweeeeet!

We live in New England in a Beach Town. I personally never go in the water...even in August the water is only about 60 degrees. It is awful. So unless you do not mind letting your body get numb enough to enjoy the water bring along a wetsuit if you plan on doing any swimming. Now my kids will take boogie boards and go in no problem. It is fun to build sand castles and walk the beach. Personally, I would just enjoy the sights...it is an amazingly beautiful area to live in. Sure you will enjoy it...but save the swimming for the ship. :)

We did the Voyager 5-day out of Cape Liberty a couple of years back, around the end of June. It was in the 50s and 60s all week, and we didn't get near the 70s and 80s until we were back in the NY area. I think there were some brave souls who were on the pool deck, but it definitely wasn't Caribbean-like conditions.

But the good news...no chair hogs :)

The weather in New England and Canada can be cool in June or it can be HOT. The best you can do is check out the averages and that won't guarantee what you will experience on any given year, especially the way that weather has been lately. Less than a week ago the temperatures in Boston were near 70, today they are in the teens. So anyone telling you what the temperatures and weather conditions will be next June either has a crystal ball or an active imagination.

However, the Grandeur has a solarium with a retractable roof so you will not only be able to lie out in the sun, protected from the outside temperatures if it is chilly, but probably will be able to swim as well. I believe that they may heat the pool water. If not, there are still the hot tubs. If it is as warm as it might be, the outside pool is also available. Enjoy the cruise. The ports of call are worth visiting.

It all depends on the year....The weather around here changes at the drop of a hat. Take for instance this week: It was 50 degrees on Sunday and today it was 29. Some people will be in the water, other won't. Also, the water around here isn't as clear as the waters down south as the seaweed is very dark and thick here.

Ocwave - We will be on the same cruise - Thanks for asking the question - I will brace the kids now that they may not be able to use the pool since it may not be warm enough but I will bring their swimsuits just in case.

Living on Martha's Vineyard, I can tell you the water temps in late June are very cool. The air temps can range from mid seventies to mid nineties. The pools should definitely be warm enough for swimming, and the kids seem oblivious to cool ocean water. My kids would break through the ice to get a chance to swim. It will likely depend on the presence or lack of the sun and wind conditions.

We've had two polar opposite experiences...

We went Mid-August on the Voyager 5-days to Canada and the weather was great the whole time. It was really warm in NY/NJ and the coolest it got was maybe high 60s one of the days we were docked in Canada. Both of the sea days featured excellent weather, sunny and in the low-mid 70s. Lots of people were laying out by the pool.

Several years before that also in mid-August we took the Carnival Destiny 5-days to Canada and it was a different story. The warmest it got the entire cruise was mid-high 60s and the sea days were mostly in the low 60-mid 60s with high winds. Needless to say, few were out by the pool. I did brave the waterslide, which was rough, but it was amusing to see the slide attendant who directs traffic (he was from a Caribbean island) wearing a warm and puffy winter coat! We also had horrendous fog the entire way back on that cruise, so bad that the ship had to honk it's horn every couple minutes or so.

Ocwave - We will be on the same cruise - Thanks for asking the question - I will brace the kids now that they may not be able to use the pool since it may not be warm enough but I will bring their swimsuits just in case.

I would definitely bring the bathing suits but it would be unlikely the water would be warm enough to swim in on the pool but kids do not seem to mind as much. They do dump the water everynight and refill with seawater so if the sun is not really hot the water temp doesn't warm up too much. The ocean is definitely too cold in June. We lived in Maine for awhile and it was still on the chilly side in August but tolerable. You could get a nice hot day though and the kids may enjoy running in the surf in Bar Harbor. :) Hot tubs are always good! Have a great cruise and New England/Canada is beautiful!

We are taking a cruise on the grandeur of the seas June 29th to New England and Canada. Will it be warm enough to lie out in the sun and to use the pool on the ship?:confused:

We are going on the June 1 sailing! Two years ago we did the same itinerary. Some days it was in the 80's, others in the 60's. I would think you could lie out and swim some days, but probably not all of them. One afternoon, we encountered very heavy fog on the Bay of Fundy. Visibility was about 10 feet! I am not sure if this ship has a covered pool, which you could use regardless.

Have a great trip!

We are going on the June 1 sailing! Two years ago we did the same itinerary. Some days it was in the 80's, others in the 60's. I would think you could lie out and swim some days, but probably not all of them. One afternoon, we encountered very heavy fog on the Bay of Fundy. Visibility was about 10 feet! I am not sure if this ship has a covered pool, which you could use regardless.

Have a great trip!

Grandeur's solarium does have a retractable roof, so the outside temperatures won't be a factor. For much of the cruise you will be sailing in the Gulf stream so water temperatures will be milder than they are on the New England coast. If they can heat the pool, it will be even more comfortable. We used the Solarium pool on Enchantment of the Seas on a similar itinerary in 2005 and had no problems. Bring your suits and enjoy your cruise.:)

My In-Laws live in New Brunswick. We swam every year at the end of Jun but the water temp does not go above 75. This is the begining of the North Atlantic area. Think Titanic. Unless you use a wet suit I do not recommend swimming (unless you are local and use to it) unless it is in one of the local pools (which by the way some are salt water pool from the ocean). The other thing you must be aware of is the tides here. We have the worlds highest tides. These have surprised many people and taken lives.

I live in New England and I can tell you from a native perspective that we have a saying here: If you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes.

All in all, weather here is very Un-reliable..so you never know what you'll get..as far as swimming in the pool.. hrm.. I know they change the water and it is NOT heated so you may end up taking a polar dunk..might be better to stick to the hot tubs.

Make SURE you pack some kind of raincoat and umbrella...just in case.

Thanks for all your great postings. Many postings are conflicting…

I may just take the July 13 to the Caribbean, as I know what the weather is like. I am sure many of you saw that posting.:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks

Thanks for all your great postings. Many postings are conflicting…

I may just take the July 13 to the Caribbean, as I know what the weather is like. I am sure many of you saw that posting.:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks

No, no, no. Unless your goal is to get a suntan and go in the pool, don't go to the Caribbean. Come see New England! Born and raised here! You will love it!

Archived