What's so special about an SS category?

Orcrone

We're booked in the A category verandah rooms on the Zuiderdam. It will cost us about $100 extra, after shipboard credit to upgrade to the SS. I know that the room is larger and has a DVD player. Are there any other differences between the two rooms?

Balcony is about twice the size - table and 2 chairs plus 2 chairs and ottomans.

The bathroom is quite nice - double sinks, separate tub and shower. There was plenty of space in the stateroom where 2 people could actually walk around at the same time. Having booked mostly CAT B minisuites in the past, I loved the extra space in this room. It was definitely worth the additional $. Any balcony stateroom is always going to be nice.

DO IT and do it quickly. We also upgraded and it was the best decision we made-upgraded from a BC guarantee to specific room 6103. It was the most relaxing cruise and best room I have ever been in. It is so light and airy and big!!! We had breakfast every a.m. on the huge balcony and in the afternoon before dinner, it was just so nice to come back to the light and airy room and relax and read, and just not feel closed in at all. For $100 do it!!! You will not regret it at all.

:)

Go for the SS. You will love the extra space and larger verandah.

With so many people in your group, if you all decide to get together for a meeting, you'll have the extra space. And if several of you want to sit out on the verandah and talk over the days activites - lots of room without being cramped.

Just think about that sail-away party with everyone on your verandah!!

:D

We're definitely getting my mom and DH the SS, so we could all hang out there. But after reading the posts I think we'll do the same for ourselves. But don't tell DW, it'll be a surprise.

:) Orcrone

What a nice surprise for your DW. Hopefully she hanging around while you are posting here or the surprise is over.

:D

It's only been during the last 6 months that she's learned to use the e-mail. When she sent her sister one a month ago her sister responded with "you mean Marc didn't type this for you?". So I'm not too worried about her stumbling across this.

BTW, I also upgraded us from an inside to an outside on the Maasdam in October as a surprise. The prices have gone up since I made the change, so she figures no chance on the room switch.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, just book that SS!!! Can't believe you can do it for $100!!!!:eek:
With my TA's pricing it's about $200 extra pp to go from an AA verandah to an SS. I believe that promo 267 gives me a $100 pp shipboard credit, so it's not that much extra. I say "I believe" because my TA and I were discussing prices and credits for about 4 different categories, so I have to double check.

I thought the "A" was a surprise, too. Heck go for the penthouse and really surprise her!!!:D After all, it's only money and you can't take it with you...
If I spent that kind of money DW would shoot me. She's already told me that she thinks that we shouldn't spend the extra $$$ for the SS, she'd rather spend it elsewhere. But I think that she'll get over it when we arrive.:D

Also, she's not very typical. We were discussing jewelry one day. She told me that if I ever decide to spend a few thousand dollars on jewelry for her, just give her the cash and let her buy furniture.

So glad that you also decided to give DW another surprise with the upgrade on the Maasdam.

She is going to think that you are one special man!!

There are 2 problems with cruising. The first is that it becomes addictive (is there a CA - cruiser's anonymous?). The longer you cruise, the higher category you book. It becomes harder and harder to go backwards.

Actually, I think that after these two upcoming cruises, DW will be choosing the next vacation. Doubt I'll get a third cruise, but I can hope.:)

I do agree that it will be difficult to go backwards on room choice.

We were discussing jewelry one day. She told me that if I ever decide to spend a few thousand dollars on jewelry for her, just give her the cash and let her buy furniture.
I think your DW and I were separated at birth. I feel exactly the same way!!!:D So it's entirely possible she'll want those extra $$$ in the same way. Not to throw a monkey wrench into your surprise, but I would give it some serious thought. You sure wouldn't want it to turn out to be the "surprise from you know where":rolleyes:

I think your DW and I were separated at birth. I feel exactly the same way!!!:D So it's entirely possible she'll want those extra $$$ in the same way. Not to throw a monkey wrench into your surprise, but I would give it some serious thought. You sure wouldn't want it to turn out to be the "surprise from you know where":rolleyes:
I'm not worried about that. DW works at a furniture store and gets furniture at cost. She just redid the master bedroom, after getting new furniture for the living room last year. Next is patio furniture, followed by dining room...:eek:

I need to find her a job at a Porsche dealership.:D

Archived