Support the Clean Cruise Ships Act

Thought I'd share this here, since we all enjoy the beauty that surrounds us as we're cruising merrily along. Even if you've never contacted your congressman before, I think this is a very important thing to support (easy too, the link below will send a message for you!).

The Clean Cruise Ships Act of 2004 was recently introduced to Congress. As I see it, even if you don’t care much, you’ve got nothing to lose & potentially a lot to gain from this legislation. And it only takes a second to let your lawmen know..

To contact your congressmen, you can go to this link & they’ll send a message for you. http://www.workingforchange.com/activism/action.cfm?itemid=16924

Our oceans are at risk. Each year thousands of beaches are closed due to e-coli contamination and other pollutants. The scientific journal Nature recently reported that 90 percent of all large fish—tuna, marlin, swordfish, shark, cod, and halibut—are gone.

Cruise ships provide millions of passengers an opportunity to relax and learn about oceans and marine wildlife. Despite the benefits they provide to people across the globe, cruise ships also are a danger to our oceans and the activities and life they support. According to EPA and industry data, a typical 3,000 passenger cruise ship each week generates 210,000 gallons of black water, which is raw sewage; 1 million gallons of gray water, including runoff from showers, sinks and dishwashers; and 37,000 gallons of oily bilge water, which collects in the bottom of ships and contains oil and chemicals from engine maintenance that are toxic to marine life.

Right now, cruise ships are exempt from critical regulations that would help protect the beautiful and inspiring oceans and marine wildlife that attract many cruise ship travelers-except in Alaskan waters, which are protected by federal legislation enacted just a few years ago. We can extend these protections by enacting the Durbin bill: a targeted, reasonable approach to cruise ship pollution that would protect all U.S. ocean waters.

http://www.alaskaoceans.net/sao/ships.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have many friends who will not cruise because of the waste cruise ships dump. I think this is a good bill and forwarded it on and mentioned that the cruise industry may attract more people if they do indeed have to stop dumping all of the waste.

• 2 weeks later...

Triptakers,

thanks for taking the time to post the message and the Working link. I've just sent my letter off to my electeds in D.C.. In one case it's a friend and she hears from me on a regular basis anyway!

I very much hope to cruise to Antarctica and am seeking a clean cruise line on which to travel. There are some out there already.

thanks,

lisa

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived