Best beach to go to in Tortola

dale594

• 4 weeks later...

Ahhhh...and see we loved the fairly private Brewer's Bay. On a calm day has amazing snorkeling. However, then the water is moving you can enjoy the waves - we body surfed for a good hour. Hadn't had that much fun since I was a kid! All smooth walking in if yuo enter from the middle.

Also, the pelicans and gulls as simply amazing as they DIVE in to get trheir fish. They work around you, sometimes being 10 feet from you. It is an incredible thing to watch/video.

By the way, the drive to Brewer's Bay was just gorgeous! Take a camera! Cab was $6 p/p and the driver waited for us and took us back.

Have fun it is a wonderful island.

Leslie

Leslie,

You'll get little argument from me, Brewer's is beautiful and sitting at Nicole's with a burger and cold beer can't possibly be a bad thing. Smuggler's just has a slight edge for me as far as the beach goes.

Now see...I have to go back and see Smuggler's. I guess that is the excuse I'll use when I book my next cruise.

I will say that someone mentioned Cane Garden Bay and we almost went there because it was "easier" and closer...so glad we didn't. One of the other cruiser's compared it to Myrtle Beach - basically very populated with a lot of vendors etc.

Brewer's offered just enough of civilization w/o being touristy. Pyrate, you make me wish I wasn't pregnant and could have had a beer at the snack shop. What a great job she has...and she is hysterical!

By the way, does Smuggler's have bathrooms/snack shop? I did see a pic at WIOL.com - it looks pretty awesome!

Looks like a no-lose to me!

Les

Les,

There are no bathrooms anymore at Smuggler's since the honor bar is closed again. There are locals that set up snack and drink shacks under the palm trees but these are very hit or miss, best to be prepared and bring your own.

If you want to see Smuggler's at it best go soon as I hear there are plans afoot to build a resort there.

Another deserted beach (except weekends and holidays) is Long Bay East on Beef Island. We have been there when we were the ONLY people on the entire beach but don't expect to find any food, drink or facilities.

You could also try Joshiah's Bay, well known to the surfing crowd. There is one place there for drinks and food, and that has a restroom.

Greta,

We have been going there for about 8 years, every trip except one has been 10 to 14 days either sailing or staying on land or a combination of both.

This year we arrive on April 25 and are staying in a house located on the beach in Apple Bay about 3 or 4 houses east of Sebastian's and just down the road from the infamous Bomba Shack.

I guess you could say we like it there. :D

There was a public restroom the last time I was there but I have to say, it was nasty. Perhaps they've cleaned it up as more folks use this beach. There is a restroom at Nicole's Bar and resturant but I'm sure they would expect you to be a customer to use it. I do not know of any showers but that doesn't mean they are not there as there is a small camping area off the beach.

Bomba's Shack is a bar located in Apple Bay, right on the beach. It really is a shack, built from whatever the sea drops off on shore and any other kind of junk they find laying about. There is a monthly "full moon" party there and at midnight they serve a mushroom laced tea.

Bomba apparently considers himself a ladies man and you will find dozens of womans panties hanging about. My understanding is that if they take them off in front of Bomba they get to drink free or something to that effect.

Several years ago the Sport Illustrated swim suit issue was shot in the BVI. The models & crew partied at Bomba's. There was a photo of the shack and Bomba in that issue.

Personally, that's not my thing and although I have walked thru the place during the daytime when it is usually dead, I have never had a drink there.

You can see a photo here http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1076448769044477402nSeHmz

Archived