Alaska in August

Theresa04

I am sailing Aug. 22nd, and am having trouble determining what weather I should expect. I'm guessing it is somewhat unpredictable, of course. Will a fleece jacket be sufficient or should I bring a winter coat?

Also, I have heard that there are problems with bugs in Alaska, especially black flies. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a particular time the bugs are worse?

Thanks!

Leave the winter coat home, bring a lightweight lined jacket and layers. Bugs aren't the problems on your cruise portion that they are interior but by mid August they will be less. Are you going interior Alaska?

Budget Queen, after departing our cruise in Seward, we travel to Denali and on to Fairbanks around mid August. Will the flies/mosquitos be a major problem? If so, any other precautions other than Deets?

Thanks,

CurlyQ

:)

We sailed HAL last year on Aug 22 & 29. We layer. Also took our waterproof, fleece lined jacekts. Never had to wear a hat or gloves.

We had everything in weather. Some days we were able to wear bermudas in a couple of the ports. Other days it poured and rain gear was the choice of appareal.

:)

I just got back from a July 16 cruise. I think my week we had unusually good weather so I never even needed a raincoat. Most days on board I wore jeans or capri pants and a long-sleeve knit shirt and usually had a windbreaker and sunglasses with me in case I walked out on the open decks. Some days I added a second knit layer under the windbreaker. I wore a winter coat at Hubbard Glacier. I was glad I had it, but really an extra layer and a fleece would have been just fine. A funny note is that I had picked up a boiled egg at the breakfast buffet and put it in my pocket. It was still warm and was a great handwarmer. I ate it later. Also, you can drink hot chocolate while viewing the glacier which will also help to keep you warm. In the dining room I felt most comfortable in long-sleeves, but I also wore a sleeveless outfits on formal nights and was not uncomfortable. Never saw a bug, but I did see a bear, bald eagles, seals, and a bunch of humpbacks and a pod of orcas.

Archived