Costa Maya, Mexico EXCURSIONs

chuck&lori

You can book your tours on the pier area or go into the little fishing village Mahaul and book your tours. We just stayed out on the beach area at a bar Tarpus and had a massage for $20 and drinks and guacomola. Went swimming and the water was so claer and nice a warm.

We loved Costa Maya! Instead of booking an excursion, we took a taxi to Mahahual, the fishing village, and spent the day on the beach. We also indulged in the $20 massage on the beach. Very rustic, but uncrowded and picturesque. It was our "Corona commercial moment". At Costa Maya itself, we did a little shopping, had a couple more drinks and went back to the ship.

We went to the Chacchoben Mayan ruins. This was the shorter of the two trips offered. The tour was great! The ruins were only discovered in the late 90s and are not fully excavated. The area at the end of the pier is your typical 'tourist trap'.

This is one of my favorite ports. All tours at the pier are serviced by one union and very reasonable and safe. We did the shorter ruins one and saved a bunch over Carnival. Also we've taken the taxi to the fishing village and just relaxed.

Can you get a guide as well as a taxi ride at the "C" ruins? This was the one port that my wife thought we should go through the ship (We are doing scuba in Coz, stingray in Cayman, and tubing in Belize all on our own).

Many of the ruins are a pretty hefty ride away from port....I recommend taking ship tours if you want to see ruins...they are not as developed as others and the roads are not exactly "Main" roads. Thus taxi not the best solution. We did ruins from Costa Maya first....then did Tulum thru another port and couldn't believe the difference. Costa Maya ruins are very undeveloped....but we had a great trip thru the ship.....good guide and although always a long bus ride....worth every penny (if you like ruins).

I also love Costa Maya, visited in Dec 2002, we went to Chacchoben Mayan ruins, loved it...very nice tour guide. I liked the area at the port, vendors were willing to bargan, unlike Cozumel. I bought a beautiful 2.2 cararet saphire ring at a great price!

• 3 weeks later...

DH and I have already planned to do the horseback riding excursion while we're there. After our excursion, we're just planning on hanging out at the beach and enjoy the rest of our day. For those who had a $20 massage how long was it ?

How far is the beach area from the pier where the ship docks? Do you rent chairs, or just put a towel on the beach? Also, would like information about the $20.00 massage.

How far is the beach area from the pier where the ship docks? Do you rent chairs, or just put a towel on the beach? Also, would like information about the $20.00 massage.

Mahahual, where the nice sandy beach is located is about a 7-10 minute taxi ride away from the port. You could probably walk there in about 40 minutes along the water.

You don't rent chairs there, they are free provided you buy some food/drinks from the restaurants that put the chairs out. You can also do as you suggest, just put a towel on the beach.

We saw 2 different places where you could get the $20 for 30 minutes massages.

If a picture is worth a 1000 words to you, check out these photos:

27mahahual4.jpg23massage1.jpg24massage2.jpg

This section of beach was right across the road from this restaurant:

25mahahual3.jpg13restaurantmahahaul.jpg

You can see all my Costa Maya - Mahahual photos Here

Archived