I've never even heard of these islands!!! Advice from experienced cruisers needed

ocwave

I am thinking about taking the July 13th Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the seas cruise out of Baltimore. [i live 50 miles from the port] The ship goes to these islands.

San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Samana, Dominican Republic; Labadee, Haiti;

I have only been to San Juan and St Thomas.

What is there to do near the ship on these other islands? I have never even heard of Charlotte Amaile, Samana or Labadee.

Is Haiti a safe place to even go?:confused:

I am not a big fan of letting the ship out of my site.:eek:

Thanks

Charlotte Amalie is the largest city in St Thomas. Labadee is Royal Caribbean's private "island" actually beach space on the tip of Haiti. From what I have heard it is considered safe.

Thats 2 out of 3!

You will love all of your ports. Be aware that it can be extremely humid in San Juan--take water!!!

Haiti isn't a place tourists go, but Labadee is a fenced-off area leased by RCI. If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't take you there! It's beautiful and relaxing and you should have no worries! The only "natives" you will encounter are employees of RCI and some approved vendors. Have fun!

Dominican Republic is the same island as Haiti, but it is a stable country--no where NEAR as poor and destitute as Haiti. It, too, is gorgeous!

I am thinking about taking the July 13th Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the seas cruise out of Baltimore. [i live 50 miles from the port] The ship goes to these islands.

San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Samana, Dominican Republic; Labadee, Haiti;

What is there to do near the ship on these other islands? I have never even heard of Charlotte Amaile, Samana or Labadee.

Thanks

I think you lost track of your commas and semi-colons! :)

The stops this cruise makes are:

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Samana, Dominican Republic

Labadee, Haiti

I've linked each of those names to the corresponding cruise map that I have set up on my maps page. There is very basic information on each of those pages as well.

Theron

Thanks

Plus, in Labadee, you can lie on the beach and stare at the ship!

1173444708_Day3Labadee20.jpg.e9a3d1bb977a7f3a4e327f55e1041651.jpg

I am one who thinks Labadee *IS* something extremely special! It is a paradasaic island, and it's a really fun day with a lot to do, or nothing to do, depending on what you feel like. It is beautiful and like mentioned before, it's completely RC's own area. The BBQ they put on is also good, nothing major to write home about except for the Jerk Chicken...don't miss that. :)

Samana is in the northeast part of the DR, it's a new port for cruise ships. We did whale watching there once, but that's in the winter. Snorkeling/diving is supposed to be good.

New!?!? I had Samana on my first RCII cruise - in 1980. We also had Hiati as a port - and it was very poor, but wonderful. I "hired" a teen to see the place only using my high-school "French." I would love to Haiti, but they have problems there.

when stopping in St Thomas take a boat ride to a beach day in St. John at Trunk Bay Beach. Absolutely beautiful beach with great snorkeling fun. Boat ride gives you a view of the land on the way. Did the rain forest excursion in San Juan. Great photo opportunities!

:p I absolutely love Labadee! I have been there twice. The trip this year on the Explorer to the Southern Caribbean does not include Labadee and I am so upset. When ships stop in Labadee they should make it for a couple of days instead of the San Juan stop. Have a wonderful time at my favorite spot!;)

New!?!? I had Samana on my first RCII cruise - in 1980. We also had Hiati as a port - and it was very poor, but wonderful. I "hired" a teen to see the place only using my high-school "French." I would love to Haiti, but they have problems there.

Well the Haiti that RCCL goes to now is completely different. You wouldn't be able to hire a local to take you anywhere as they aren't allowed in the area except with the approval of RCCL.

The last time I was in Labadee, the vendors were really really pushy. That was about 2002 when we were there last. Has it changed or stayed the same?

You have to LOOK FOR the vendors. You have to go to where they are. Avoiding them is simple - don't go to the market.

I agree...I love Labadee....buy a painting......rent a mat.....drink a labadooooozee and float all day.....The BBQ is cool.......banana bread is awesome.......and relax....It is my favorite Island.......it is pure serenity !!!!!

Well the Haiti that RCCL goes to now is completely different. You wouldn't be able to hire a local to take you anywhere as they aren't allowed in the area except with the approval of RCCL.

I know, many things change - and Haiti has been through some horrid times. I hope that we may see Haiti as a real port, but right now that is not going to happen.

If you have been to St. Thomas, how did you miss Charlotte Amalie??? It's what you see from the ship...the downtown on the hillside above all the sailboats!

Maybe their's ship was a Princess one which would have docked at the Crown Bay facility.

Archived